VC fan
Years ago

WNBL vs Top level domestic Netball

Does anybody know how these two rank in terms of player payment? I'm aware most players need to work a second job in each sport but how much would your average/top/rookie Lightning player be getting paid vs a Thunderbirds player?

Topic #26818 | Report this topic

Jake  
Years ago

I believe that the top WNBL player e.g Lauren Jackson would earn more playing WNBL (excluding all overseas income) than our top netballer. I think the Canberra Govt chipped in to assist with her salary. Best way to approach it would be to look at salary cap in each sport.

Reply #338953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If youre real good in either you get decent coin, everyone else gets pocket money.

Reply #338958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also remember there are at least 10 professional women's basketball leagues around the world.

There's one semi-professional netball league in the world.

Reply #338960 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Way - off topic --- But Netball is one of the off-shoots of basketball. That is why there is no "100" year anniversary of the first netball game.

I read in a sports history book many many years ago,that the netball rules originated from a letter Naismith ( or someone similar) wrote in the late 1890's or early 1900's in reply to an overseas enquiry ( England) where he explained the then current strategy of the game, and the roles of the players. Reading it certainly gave the impression of there being 7 players (roles) , each role associated with a very specific space on the court. It certainly read like the modern netball game rather than modern basketball.

Iowa girl's basketball used 6 on-court players per team, right up to the early 70's.

In the late 70's early 80's I believe there was a similar 6/7 player woman's basketball competition in Brisbane.

There is nowhere near the same money internationally for netball players that there is for women basketball players.

I remember julie Nykiel retiring from the WNBL as the all-time high scorer, and then playing in the national netball league and being its top scorer for 2 (?) consecutive seasons .

all very interesting.

Reply #338970 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Jackson is on well over $110,000 per WNBL season, there is no salary cap in the WNBL that i am aware of.

Reply #338971 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I believe the salary cap for a netball in Australian league is $200k.

WNBL Id say it greatly differs from team to team.

Reply #339037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reputed that Jackson is on $1M over 5 years. But that she only needs to play for 3 of those seasons. ie She is getting the equivalent of the entire Netball Salary cap per season even when she doesn't play.

Reply #339056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754