Isaac
Years ago

36ers captains: players must share blame

Boti article after the live-chat conducted yesterday on AdelaideNow with Ballinger and Crosswell. Ballinger first:

"We definitely have enough talent, there's no denying that," he said. "Some of our problem is executing what the coaches have put in place. It's not that they're wrong, it's us not getting it done."
Crosswell:
"We as players believe in everything they're doing," he said of the work of Clarke and his assistant, Mark Radford.

Both were high on new import guard Chris Warren, Ballinger impressed with his "raw scoring ability" and Crosswell ranking him among the best imports he had played alongside.
Full article

Game seven coming up. Newest import has had some time to settle. Ballinger has had a few games back. Herbert should be starting to find his stroke. If they are executing at training (and I don't doubt they are at all), where is it falling apart in a game situation?

Topic #26834 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Many times I've often wondered why they are doing it so well at training and come out at the game
frightened
as a fawn in the forrest.

Reply #339133 | Report this post

bolter13  
Years ago

Why don't you try just leaving them alone.
All this negative pressure is not going to help them win.
Hope you guys get as much pressure put on you every day with your jobs.( if you have one that is.)

Reply #339136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pressure is in the nature of professional sports. If you cant deal with in you are in the wrong profession.

Reply #339140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowds, telecasts, fans, etc - comes with the territory of running around on a court for money. If there's pressure now, it will be tripled in overtime or a finals game.

This is a fan discussion and players will generally avoid reading forums at all or especially in season. They're much more likely to read a newspaper article like Boti's yesterday, and that sort of critique has been around for a long time, whether the 36ers were winning or losing. Part of the game.

Reply #339141 | Report this post

Agreed  
Years ago

As if anyone on here has as much pressure on them as a professional athlete. That's why they all post so much bullshit! They have NO IDEA. Half of them just WISH they WERE professional athletes and think they have all the answers. Ballinger has had a few games back? How many games back? and how many minutes per game? because I recall reading on that blog yesterday that he hasn't even strung a few good practices together yet Isaac? The new import has had some settling time? Yeah he's had to settle for how atrociously negative the fans can be in Adelaide on their home court and on facebook fan pages! I'm with Bolter13.

Reply #339142 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

These guys love the pressure, that's why they do it.

One obvious answer in regards to execution, the defence they face in games is very different to the defence they face at training.

Reply #339145 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"As if anyone on here has as much pressure on them as a professional athlete"

Really a minor consideration when you consider a doctor performing surgery where a person can die..or a teacher who has to educate and control 30 badly raised children and keep them appart, then you have police who have to control large crowds and ofcourse the pressure they have when a child is abducted is nothing compared to professional sportsman lol.
Notice all of these jobs though more important are paid less, make you think sportspersons have it pretty bloody good afterall. Oh and I could continue about who has more pressure but if you dont get the hint now you never will.

Reply #339148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not the "x is a waste of space" guy on here, I'm saying little different to what was said by the CEO and what would be said by the coaches or the players themselves. They have a full squad, guys have had some time to settle.

Ballinger has played in four games for a total of 89 and a bit minutes, averaging a bit more than half a game. Simpson has played five games now and seemed pretty comfortable against Sydney apart from the face injury that kept him out for a bit. I'm saying that this isn't game one of a new team -- we're six games in and early losses will hurt down the track in a competitive league. Tiredness coming back from injury, sure. A slow start back from injury, I get that too.

Redhage had his first game back from an injury Adelaide doctors first put down as career-ending and killed the 36ers. Dann had his first game back in Adelaide and was useful enough and they got the win. Sydney are going into this round nursing Dann, Cooper, Grant, Bruce, Bose, etc.

I don't boo the team. If it wasn't for reading the reactions after a loss on here, I actually don't mind seeing a loss knowing that I got to watch an interesting game, see how players have gone, etc. I try to be pretty realistic with my expectations and discussion of the team on here to the point where I get pulled up for not slamming the coach, a player, the club, etc.

But pressure is a reality of sport and these guys need to manage it, injuries, executing instructions, etc just like the other teams in the league.

Reply #339150 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I actually don't think blame actually helps is resolving issues.

There is a problem at the moment that the Sixers are under performing on court to their true potential.

There is a certain amount of confidence associated with sport and winning builds confidence, losses sap confidence.

In relation to plans:
1. Are they too complicated?
2. Does everyone know their role?
3. What are the Plan B's?

Reply #339152 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

as if he's gonna come out and say they don't trust the system, the imports are terrible etc. all his talk sounds like he's just trying to be politically correct than saying the truth.

Reply #339157 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Professional athletes buckling under the pressure of an internet forum?

Seems reasonable to me.

I'm thinking it's a combination of coaching and psychology to be honest.

The Sixers team playing in front of a hostile Perth crowd was a completely different animal. AB and NC mentioned as much in the live chat on AdelaideNow.

Not sure how they adjust to maintain that mindset on a regular basis though.

Reply #339163 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"One obvious answer in regards to execution, the defence they face in games is very different to the defence they face at training."

IMHO this is one of the biggest problems I think they have.

Over the past 3 seasons (I haven't paid attention this season) we've caved in to pressure defenses and when we do get it into our half, offensively there's a lot of pass-the-parcel, not enough good screens or off the ball movement (I lost count how many times Ron Howard just sat in the corner), and not enough attacking the defense. We also have problems getting into a solid rebounding position (on both ends).

I don't doubt that all teh coaching drills set by Marty are being done fine; and during scrimmages, they probably do look at lot better. I just don't see the last three teams being able to attack an opposition (with a few exceptions along the way).

Reply #339167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One obvious answer in regards to execution, the defence they face in games is very different to the defence they face at training.
Thought about this last year too - seems plausible.

MK, for sure, you don't always get a straight answer from someone in a position like that, but both of them could've sounded less enthusiastic in answering that question without risking their positions at all. Without hearing otherwise from elsewhere, I'm inclined to take them at face value on this. Either that, or they just really want to believe it's true.

Reply #339173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Centrebet yet to abandon Adelaide and still have them at $17, level with Sydney and Wollongong and ahead of Townsville and Cairns.

PERTH WILDCATS 2.75
NEW ZEALAND BREAKERS 3.75
GOLD COAST BLAZE 6.00
MELBOURNE TIGERS 6.50
ADELAIDE 36ERS 17.00
SYDNEY KINGS 17.00
WOLLONGONG HAWKS 17.00
TOWNSVILLE CROCODILES 21.00
CAIRNS TAIPANS 41.00

Townsville still have Schenscher to return, so $21 might be a bit brave from them.

Reply #339200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754