James
Years ago

Patty Mills leaving Tigers and NBL for China

Just read Daniel Eade's status saying Patty Mills has ended his contract with Melbourne Tigers and has signed to a Chinese team for a fair bit $$. I don't anymore details but I am sure we will be informed shortly. Big blow to the Tigers and the NBL.

Topic #26861 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Andrew Bogut tweeted today that there's a huge NBL announcement coming. Can only guess that this is it. Can say I was the last guy to shake his hand before he walked out of the Adelaide Arena, and out of the NBL.

Reply #339481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wats boguts news about big news coming?

Reply #339482 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep saw it on his twitter feed. At least we got to see him play once. Wonder who the tigers will go after now.

Reply #339483 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Disappointing!

Reply #339484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good to have seen him play this weekend. Tigers should still be pretty balanced without him, just down some firepower.

Reply #339486 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It will be a good chance for Dillon, Lewis, Rush to get more minutes and opportunities.

Reply #339489 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Coreltto can be elevated into the 10 now.....oh thats right. My bad

Reply #339490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor effort Patty Mills. Walking out of the NBL to peruse more money for yourself. How can we expect the fans to be passionate and loyal if the players who preach it don't do the same? I hope you've enjoyed big noting and promoting yourself in Australia, but you have definately lost the respect I had for you.

Reply #339492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dog.

Reply #339493 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can't be too harsh on him here. He came to this country to play for a huge amount less than he could have gotten elsewhere in the idea he would be back in the NBA before too long.
He's not like Bogut in that he's set up for life after a long career with some big contracts, he's still starting out.
Now that It's reasonably apparent that the Lockout will last all season, he's decided to chase some more money. He doesn't really owe anyone anything, the fact he came here at all was a big boost to our country.
I'm happy I got to see him play live and play well at that (and we won).
He wasn't really improving his brand here anyway, and copped a fair bit of criticism, so he didn't have a huge incentive to stay.

Reply #339495 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well said Hendo

Reply #339497 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

+1

Reply #339498 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't want to disrespect pat but I think it's the best thing for the tigers. Now people can be played in there positions (cam tragardh as a 4) and Dillion can get the minutes he deserves. Would be good to see the tigers go with a big line up.

Reply #339499 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

"How can weexpect fans to be passionate and loyal if the players who preach it dont"

Firstly I have never heard him preach it, secondly the rules for him probably changed with the lockout situation and thirdly what loyalty and passionate fans are you talking about.

The ones who hate everything their club does regardless or those who think they deserve a $300 refund if their team loses or those that talk about being loyal and passionate and are not members and dont go to games.

Thanks for your time Patty, all the best !

Reply #339500 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #339501 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

HE was bound to leave sooner or later with a return to NBA but i never expected him to take up another offer outside NBL ,Good Luck to him everywhere he played the crowd numbers were up,which was good for australian NBL .

Reply #339502 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

im spewing i didnt get down to the arena to see patty play. Oh well ill have to wait and see him suit up for the boomers when they play here next...

Reply #339503 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

I can completely understand Patty's decision. Basketball these days is BIG BUSINESS & with the NBA Lockout gettting worse by the day Patty had to look after himself financially with what seems like a massive pay day. I was there at Adelaide Arena last night & it was a privilege to watch Patty show everyone his considerable talent. I also saw Patty after the game taking the time to sign countless autographs & pose for many photo opportunities with anyone who asked (even the security guards!). He struck me as a humble & very grounded individual, he'll certainly be missed in the NBL as I believe he is a once in a generation talent who brings people to the game to watch this excitement machine. All the best in China Patty!

Reply #339504 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Glad Patty had the googles on last night and the Sixers still won. I thought it was great that on one play he jacked up an air ball, gets jeered, and on the next offense nails nothing but net from almost the same spot as his previous shot.

That little show of self belief impressed me, the sign of a winner.

Reply #339505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wouldnve signed in the NBL expecting to return to the NBA but now that is as good as cancelled, he HAD to make this move. If you're an NBA calibre guy you dont want to be playing in the NBL for a whole season. Not just money, but career wise too. There no way he deserves ANY hate, people should be happy he came here (and for all the right reasons, to help aussie basketball) at all. Also reat that we got to see him here just in time before he left!

Reply #339506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so he's going to the same team as Kenyon Martin and Jamal Crawford?

should be interesting

Reply #339507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interestingly, the club hes signed with in china are also nicknames the tigers

Reply #339508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think he ever promised a full season. These players are employees working jobs, not crusaders or martyrs for a cause.

Reply #339509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

f***ing LOL at seamus mcpeake!! sacks club legend to get 7 rounds of patty mills before he loses him, and not even to the NBA!

Reply #339510 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hendo8888,

Can't be too harsh on him here. He came to this country to play for a huge amount less than he could have gotten elsewhere
How much less than nothing did he come here to play for? The fact he is turning his back on the NBL, not because the NBA lockout is over but to go elsewhere for more money makes it obvious he had nothing else when he came here. He is a great player, no doubt about that but there is no respect from him for the NBL and yet someone in another thread said the 36ers showed poor taste in showing the flopping video to the tune of "He's so vain". Respect is not handed down on a platter, it is earned.

Reply #339511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$1m deal and precludes him from playing NBA this season if the lockout ends. No brainer for him.

Reply #339512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done patty! It was an honor to have you in the nbl and you've already made a great contribution to Australian basketball. I'm sure he'll get the respect he deserves in china - it's a shame so many Australian basketball fans have been so critical of him and have been looking for him to fail. That can happen but it was even more disappointing what the sixers as an nbl club did last night. If only we celebrated achievements instead of trying to knock people down.

Reply #339514 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

Bogut to play for tigers?? One management also tweeting about huge announcement. Nba players heading over? There seems too much buzz for the announcement that patty is leaving

Reply #339515 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

EC,

Patty has well & truly earnt everyone's respect for all he has done in his short but exciting basketball career! If you honestly believe that Patty didnt have any options than to play in the NBL than you must be living on Mars! As the wise & voice of reason 'Isaac' stated this was a 'no brainer' decision!

Reply #339516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers don't need another guard in corletto - they need a centre. With mills leaving maybe they can get a true centre which would make them more well rounded.

Reply #339518 | Report this post

no buzz  
Years ago

Already on the nbl website that tigers have released patty so doubt that us their big news.

Reply #339519 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just friggin glad to see a game of his brilliance

Reply #339521 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The tigers don't need to sign a centre as they wouldn't play with gleeson coaching. The "small line up" seems to be the his tact. After reading some previous threads, it seems gleeson is the only one that can't see the big picture.

Reply #339522 | Report this post

no buzz  
Years ago

Bogut was at the tigers v perth game on friday night, maybe something in the bogut tigers deal!

Reply #339523 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I have the upmost respect for the man. Met him last night after two intense back to back games, a few hours of addressing excited fans and the constant nagging of team management trying to get him to leave. Still had the time to have a chat, sign an autograph and take a picture.

As previously stated, leaving the NBL was a no brainer. Again, if he wanted another NBA contract he had to play somewhere other than the NBL. We can kid ourselves all we want but the League just does not attract the respect that most other national leagues do.

We should count ourselves lucky that we even had the chance to have him in our humble league. There is not one of us that would take a job that paid the sort of money it did over a job that will pay atleast double AND provide the best opportunity for future contracts/jobs (NBA gigs).

Good luck to you Patty, you brought interest back into our league, it is us who owes you.

Reply #339526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Disappointing for his development to go to China. Bad decision for the Boomers and disrepsepctful to his fans here.

Had he said when he signed he wasnt here for a whole season if the NBA season ended OR a big offer came up fair enough, but he has just shown disrespect for the NBL to leave for what is supposedly a training contract in a vastly inferior league.

Great he gave up money to play here, but pointless if he is going to treat the league like this.

Reply #339527 | Report this post

Axxee  
Years ago

Before you have a go at him for leaving for money, think to yourself, if the competition of whomever it is that you work for offered you an $80,000 pay rise, would you stay?? Of course not. This is the profession of these guys. They need to make the money while they can. The fact he gave what he did while he was there was enough for me.

Reply #339528 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My point is if you want the money fair enough, take it. If you want to play in Australia, it wont be for the money. Mills would have known there would be big money offers out there, yet decided to sign here. Either he wanted to help basketball in Australia or not, and leaving to go to a poor Chinese league doesnt help basketball in Australia.

Reply #339530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's not show friends, It's show business" - Bob Sugar (Jay Mohr) in "Jerry Maguire"

Reply #339531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRILLIANTLY said AK-47

Reply #339532 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Axxee - probably a small oversight, but I think you meant an $800,000 pay rise?

In answer to your question, I would definitely be switching to another company or the opposition with that pay rise! =)

Reply #339533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain to me why Patty Mills is flooding twitter timelines retweeting positive things people have to say about him? If that isn't big noting himself, I don't know what is.

Reply #339535 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Has anyone thought that there might be other reasons that Patty Mills is going to China instead of staying here? Maybe as its become more apparent that the 'current' NBA season won't happen his club, the Portland Trailblazers, wanted him playing in a more competitive league than the NBL? I don't know, I'm just guessing but isn't Mills still under contract with the Blazers or is he a free agent?

Either way, and although I sadly missed the chance to see him live last night, I think it was great for the NBL just to have him here playing for the past 7 weeks. We've had umpteen amounts of former NBA players play here over the years and some have been stars (Mee, Brooks, Rose etc) but until now we've never had a current player. Sure he has copped a lot of flack for his flop but other than that the guy has not really put a foot wrong and overall crowds have been up where he and the Tigers have been playing. Last night's 6,175 was the largest crowd to see Patty in the NBL so those who went can be proud of that and they got to see him in full flight on offense playing almost a lone role in keeping Melbourne in the game.

So whether he has been told to go play in a more competitive league or he has done this personally in the pursuit of more money I say good luck to the guy and I hope his career continues to get better. I think it was great to have the guy here, I just hope that now he's gone the crowds don't drop off for the Tigers, after all they are 2nd on the ladder right now.

I know its just my opinion but really I'm just thankful he came to the NBL at all. He did have big $$ offers in Europe IIRC (may be wrong) so to come here at all was a win for the league and showed that he's prepared to give back to basketball in this country, even if it did only end up being for 7 weeks.

Reply #339536 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Glad we got to see him play and on one of his best nights in the NBL as well.

Im surprised he actually went for this, he has really seemed to enbrace the NBL and looked to be really enjoying it. Obviously its understandable money wise but life is about a lot more than money.

Reply #339537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suppose you can't blame him really, the deal is for $1.5 million.

He wouldn't have been on much more than 10% of that here.

Reply #339538 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Stoked, I don't have to watch some guy either flop or throw up brick after brick and then make some goggles with his fingers when he hits one and then hear about how awesome he was on Monday.

Reply #339541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holden - the NBL shits all over the Chinese league.

Reply #339542 | Report this post

Jiggy  
Years ago

FFS Mystro, was you even at the game on Saturday night? Patty played a most impressive game, Patty Vs Warren battle in the last Qtr was worth the price of admission alone!. Patty was certainly not throwing up brick after brick on the night! Some people are born Haters & cant appreciate a special talent when it's on display!

Reply #339544 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I live in New Zealand so that is why I wasn't at the game and why I don't have my tongue up his ass. I will fully admit that his play has improved since the start of the season especially his decision making but he still isn't all that nor even close to it. Haters gonna hate Jiggy but what is his special talent? Throwing up more shots than everyone on the court combined? Turnovers?

Reply #339545 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mystro, as with most things the truth tends to lie between the two extremes. Mills is a young talent who is brilliant when on but also very inconsistent.

I understand your feeling about people talking about how good he is each week, but at the same time he hasnt been the worst in the league in terms of shooting or turnovers, and has improved his game as the season went on as you noted.

A big thing for me was that he was mature enough to not try and take over last Friday against Perth when he was having an off night. Earlier in the year he probably would have shot the Tigers out of that game.

Three weeks ago I wouldnt have had him in the top 10 players in the league based on performance, now I think he was probably up to 5th or 6th.

It is a real shame that he is now going to a league where his game probably wont progress, because it desperately needs to keep immproving like it was in the NBL if the Boomers are to have success in London, and if he is to ever be more than a bit player in the NBA.

Short term gain for long term pain, perhaps?

Reply #339547 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/nba/conversations/_/id/7261301/patty-mills-portland-trail-blazers-heads-china-lockout

Interesting to note the new flood of established stars looking O/S. Patty has probably had some solid advice that it's 'now or never' for him. My guess is in a month, this opportunity at these dollars would no longer exist.

In terms of comparing other internationals looking O/S, it doesn't look like many have chosen their own country to go home to. Some have, but these players have been offered big money (as in more than usual for the relevant league) to do so. I assume the 'come home' factor is a marketing plus for the team and the league, and this has been reflected in the value of the deal.

My view on Patty is that he is currently a fringe NBA player, who may be significantly impacted by any new labour deal. He needs to secure his financial future as best he can, whilst he can.

He's managed to give the NBL a huge boost during his time here. Happy to see him here during his stay, happy to see him succeed and get paid well in China.

Reply #339557 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I cannot believe anyone is bagging him for leaving for dollars. Are you friggin' serious?
There may not be an NBA, so Mills should stay here for pennies instead of earning a high wage somewhere else?

That anyone can be bagging him for earning a wage.....wow.

Good luck Patty, thanks for bringing some interest to the league whilst you were here.

Reply #339560 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Any idea on who the Tigers will look at for the spare roster spot??

Also who will be their backup PG?
Now that Ubaka moves to PG and Dillion starts at SG, I assume.

Reply #339562 | Report this post

Suspicious  
Years ago

To me this seems it has been planned all along that Bogut would replace Mills.

Mills- Needed to play somewhere where he would look good to stay in shape and improve his chances of a contract when the lockout was over. Plus some pocket money.

Bogut- Just needed to rest and wait until he could go back to his $60M 3-year deal remaining. Despite wanting badly to play- wasn't worth the risk or the peanuts they could pay him.

It was agreed that once it became clear the lockout is going to be long term- Patty would skip for a paycheck and Bogut would then play as it may be 18 months between games for him if he waits the lockout out.

The timing seems right as the Chinese league season has just started and Bogut's insurance will drop considerably now we are 3 months into the season.

NBL= Now Bogut's League

Reply #339567 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So hope you're right Suspicious!

Reply #339591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What we learnt:

-Patty is no where near as quick as he was a couple of years ago.

-He still can't shoot.

-He has terrible shot selection.

-He still can't finish at the rim, even over smaller NBL bigs.

Sorry, but I just wasn't impressed. He simply hasn't got any better since his final year at St. Mary's.

Got nothing against him chasing a payday, especially since there is no guarantee of an NBA contract for him when the lockout ends, but by the same token one should be surprised if his tenure here left a bad taste in lots of people's mouths, kicking corletto out of the roster, the jacking, the flopping, and then leaving to chase coin.

Reply #339592 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah also, got to agree that NBL is night and day better than Chinese league.

They have no salary cap, so can attract NBA outcasts, but NBL teams would whoop an average Chinese team.

Night and day.

Reply #339596 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Paul, easily top 10 player and has the potential to be #1 all day, he just isn't there yet despite a lot of people thinking he is

Reply #339603 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, you clearly didn't watch the game on Saturday. 32 points at 55% is plenty efficient in anyone's books, and he was burning the defence and finishing at the rim over big bodies at will with several NBA finishes.

The only negative in his game was that he didn't look to his team in the last quarter, but rather got into an ego match with Chris Warren, which Warren ended up winning comfortably. Mills needs to learn yet when to dish off to his wide open team mates more.

Reply #339604 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I wonder if Seamus will ask Patty to give his polo shirts back?

Reply #339605 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So how many PGs has Patty lost the ego match to?

Eddie Gill
Chris Warren
Kevin Lisch

Who else?

Reply #339611 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson.

Reply #339614 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say Martin or Robbins from Perth (who both outplayed him) rather than Lisch.

In fairness to Mills, I think he was trying to do the Bruton thing of getting teammates involved and then hitting the big shots down the stretch. He is a different player to Bruton though, quicker but not as smart. If Mills can find a way to create for teammates in the second half like he did in the first half of recent games he will be very good.

Sad to see him leave just as he was making some good progress, but with so much work to do to be a top level PG as well as a dangerous scorer.

Reply #339616 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Do have to agree that he got better as the season went along, but whether it proved that the NBL is underrated or he is overrated - there are some quality PGs in this league compared to him.

Reply #339618 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tigers to chase bogut! They have asked a sponsor to pay the premium for his insurance so he can play!

The sponsor is OAMPS an insurance broker!

Reply #339635 | Report this post

Airness  
Years ago

Gee Mystro, you're all class with your tongue in the ass reference! So you live in NZ you say...Enough Said!

Reply #339641 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Interesting update on the Contract Situation, with Sportando.net reporting that:

"Patty Mills' contract in CBA with Xinjiang is non-guaranteed. He can be replaced anytime if the NBA is cancelled and they find someone better. Patty Mills will stay in China as long as the Chinese team want him."

Reply #339646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I remember correctly, Tiger Watcher last time accurately predicted Patty Mills to sign with the Tigers about a month before it happened. I'm suspiciously curious

Reply #339655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In this business you can make friends or you can make money" - Chief Jay Strongbow

Reply #339668 | Report this post

no buzz  
Years ago

They are actually a league sponsor as well as a tigers sponsor, so you would think if they were going to insure him they would have surely done it prior to the oceania qualifying series to assist suiting him for that series as well as whichever nbl team could pick him up.

Reply #339672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also someone on twitter asked him about the rumour to the Tigers and he said it was unlikely

Reply #339676 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Although I'm not buying the Bogut to NBL rumour, wouldn't it would be better value and more affordable to wait to recruit Bogut sometime mid to late-season when his playing period is more definite and easier to budget?

If the lockout leads to the cancellation of the NBA season, I'd love to see the carnage (and the opposition fan outrage) if the Tigers did a Timmons by recruiting Bogut with several rounds remaining.

Reply #339685 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Yes I got the mail on Mills before it happened and have the mail re the approach to the insurance brokers re boguts insurance Premuim, doesn't mean he will sign. But once I know hoopsters will know.

Reply #339691 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My argument was not about chasing bigger dollars, it was justifying the respect that many said we should give him when the respect on his part was lacking. Also, I am not familiar with the Chinese league but if it is inferior to the NBL, won't it drag his game down playing at their level? There may be big dollars there at this present time but at what cost to his future?

Reply #339705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut would be great except he CAN'T get insurance. He had clubs prepared to put up the cash for the premium and pay him what he wanted for games but he turned it down each time.

My read is that the bucks can terminate his contract when the nba returns as they can say he is not fit to play. this is why he is not playi g in the Nbl. Not that he doesn't want to but it is way too much risk for him to jeapordise his nba deal.

Reply #339721 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If a company is willing to fully guarantee the remainder of the contract there is no risk financially. It seems that lack of guarantee was the issue before.

Reply #339723 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

pretty soon Bogut isn't gonna have any contract with any NBA team.

Reply #339731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he'll still be able to get a gig, whatever might happen to his current deal, but I do think his contract might get cut back a bit.

Reply #339735 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Look at the types of Americans that head to the Chinese league and youll get an idea of what is like.

Jackers, hogs, egomaniacs, locker rooms cancers, not a lick of defense.

Reply #339745 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Q: Who is insuring Kevin Durant et al when they ball in all those pickup games?

Reply #339746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone. The difference is that the Thunder would want to keep Durant's contract no matter what. I think with Bogut's slight decline after his injury, he is a bit more protective of his contract than the Bucks would be. That's my read of the situation anyway.

Reply #339751 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

soon with the lockout and subsequent no confidence court action being bought by the players, players will be de-registered and all contracts will be null and void.

Reply #339810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754