Isaac
Years ago

Nov 20: Wollongong vs Perth

Pretty forgettable game by Wollongong, going by the stats. Here's the +/- for anyone interested:

Wollongong

• Showron Glover (4)
  • Joevan Catron (3)
  • Tim Coenraad (-1)
  • David Gruber (-6)
  • Tyson Demos (-6)
  • Mat Campbell (-10)
  • Glen Saville (-11)
  • Larry Davidson (-14)
  • Oscar Forman (-17)
  • Rhys Martin (-22)

Perth
  • Brad Robbins (24)
  • Cameron Tovey (20)
  • Kevin Lisch (17)
  • Shawn Redhage (14)
  • Luke Nevill (11)
  • Matthew Knight (9)
  • Greg Hire (-1)
  • Jesse Wagstaff (-2)
  • Drew Williamson (-4)
  • Everard Bartlett (-8)

With this game, Brad Robbins now tops the league for cumulative +/-. Here's the top ten:

1. Brad Robbins (+78)
2. Shawn Redhage (+75)
3. Kevin Lisch (+63)
4. Gary Wilkinson (+57)
5. Cameron Tovey (+56)
6. Thomas Abercrombie (+53)
7. Dillon Boucher (+50)
8. Elvin Mims (+44)
9. Luke Nevill (+44)
10. Daryl Corletto (+43)

Topic #26863 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

It's really just the players from the two teams who are having lots of big wins at the moment, isnt it? Unfortunately it's a stat that either needs a lot of games or a fair bit of extra dissection (per quarter compared to rest of team, per line-up etc).

Still, it's definitely good to know, thanks for posting them each game Isaac. Saves me some time!

Reply #339546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, but there are a few interesting ones like Mims as a standout from Townsville and Robbins up there despite a couple of losses which Martin wouldn't have had on his record. Boucher with +50 off the bench for NZ, Corletto too.

Last year, Saville (+200ish in a non-playoff team) was obviously noticeable.

Reply #339551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that game was terrible!

Glover MUST be on borrowed time

Reply #339554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely becomes more meaningful as the year wears on. It is definitely a stat that needs to be couple with observation or really in depth analysis though.

I think where it best tells the story is where a player's +/- is different from the rest of his team.

Reply #339555 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Carfino at the start , telling us an Aussie
not good enough to play in Goorjian's team gets
$10,000 a month to train , so Mills will get more than that.
Saville got it going in the second , subbed out , of course and the third was unwhatchably bad . Time for bed.

Reply #339556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I only saw the first half, was quite good. Did it go dramatically downhill from there?

Reply #339558 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was late in the night and I don't recall Wollongong scoring for about the first 5minutes of the third.. didn't look like they were gonna score any.
Plenty of fumbles.
Wollongong Coach called a time-out.
With Neville on , he wanted them to go up against him
and they came out and jacked up a three in two seconds. Coach was waving his arms around , called a sub.

Reply #339561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only good thing about the Hawk's game was their Retro Uniform!!

Reply #339625 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Commentating was terrible! I muted it for the second half.

Carfino was alright, but the other guy (Don't know his name) was been critical of everything every damn play..

e.g.

"In international basketball that would be a foul".."terrible decision by so and so"..."bad pass from X"..."Poor shot from so and so"

Gaze is the best commentator of the entire lot IMO, but the rest get way too critical of the players and the referees.
I mean a player would miss a shot, or turn the ball over once and the commentator last night would tear into him.
And I don't know how many times he kept comparing the NBL to other International basketball leagues.."That wouldn't be a foul overseas" or "International players would have made that shot or not done this or that"

Reply #339690 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

The other commentater you're referring to was non-other than former Hawks and Blaze coach Brandan Joyce. Usually I find Brendan ok to listen to, however, Sunday nights game did become a bit of a rant.

Reply #339722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754