Objective
Years ago

Are NBL Ref's really doing that bad a job?

I realise this is a very loaded question, but lets ask at what level should the officials be performing at, compared to the players. In a post this week it was stated that NBL teams avg 15 turnovers a game which means for each player 3 turnovers are committed.
Now do we believe that in a team of three officials that they make more than 9 errors in a game based on the same error rate as players?
And if you consider that teams prob average around 70 fg attempts per game, plus the 15 turnovers which means each team playes offence 85 times, so 170 offences per game for the two teams. Each referee prob has to make 3-4 decisions each offence as to if they need to make a call.
So each referee makes upwards of 500 decisions a game. Now if a top free throw shooter hits at 90 % we say they are having a great game, but clearly we wouldn't be happy if an official hit just 90% of their decisions would we. So what's fair???

Topic #26901 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

to answer the Q in the title... yes.

Reply #339976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL teams avg 15 turnovers a game which means for each player 3 turnovers are committed

I never knew that only 5 players play in a game. There is subs so its more like a player gives up 2 turnovers on average. So the refs make more mistakes than the players.

Reply #339987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you must be a ref to come up with that and one that has too much time on their hands at that. Its probably the way you ref as well - all about yourself

Reply #339988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think they're at all comparable situations. Yes, it's often going to be a difficult call in a subjective scenario, but a player is making decisions against moving defenders. Or a passing turnover might result because a player passes to where they thought their team-mate was moving, only to find that in the split-second after that, the team-mate has doubled back. That's a two- or multi-body system.

The performance of players isn't compared against the performance of referees, nor should the reverse be true. Each should be compared to their peers or past/future performance, and always looking to improve. (This would already be the case with both parties anyway.)

Reply #339994 | Report this post

Jerry Dennrd Jnr  
Years ago

Isaac's response is perfect.

+ 1

Reply #339997 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

this thread defies so much logic, first of all there are hundreds of errors players make all game long, turnovers and missed shots are just the most easily recorded, many others go unoticed but are still major errors such as forgetting to box out and allowing your opposition player to score, not switiching on a screen, fouling someone and giving them two shots....etc etc.

Having said that players have defence facing them and causing errors, referees dont have anyone causing their errors they just miss the call because they cant see properly from their position or they get it wrong!

cant be compared and should NOT be compared as they are two very different things!

Reply #339998 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No. But it can and should get more consistent.

Reply #340005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, they really are.

Reply #340036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way they'll get better is if they actually Ref more which includes being forced to Ref ABA over winter... Allot of the NBL refs are lucky to do 10-15 games in total A YEAR... Its not hard to see why you get some rustiness and erratic calls from time to time. Personally i don't think they're too bad but its difficult to expect them to be at their absolute best when they're not consistently practicing and using their skills week in week out. You certainly couldn't be at your best as a player if you only played 10 - 15 games a year.

Reply #340045 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

good point anon never thought of it that way

Reply #340047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to compare the elite players don't play in the ABA in the off-season. Generally the guys from 8-12 do. In most states the panel 3 refs do a full season, panel 2's ref a little less and panel 1's generally do their minimum required. Refs in a way are like players, you can't ref all year you get burnt out and stale!

If anything needs to occur is the leagues need to go back to the same season so that when they aren't rostered to NBL they can go back and ref quality men's games. Currently there is only WNBL to fall back in and not many NBL refs are on both panels.

The main problem is you have 33 refs in the panel and only 15 can work each round, this round only 12! So usually 18 are a round aren't reffing, that's the problem.

Reply #340051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the elite players only play 25-30 games a year over 6 months but they train on court 3-4 times a week too... That's about 110-140 on court sessions a season practicing/ utilizing and refining their skills V reffing once a week, fortnight/ or a month for some, them for some a 5 month break... I cant see how a ref could get burnt out reffing 1 game a week for 40 weeks. I agree though there needs to a a fall back league, like a mid week state based league like they used to have for under performing refs to keep reffing, maybe the lower performing NBL refs should go back onto the WNBL panel until they improve. In AFL for eg the umpires go back to their state league to keep umpiring and improve.

Reply #340053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence the comment around realigning the competitions. 40 games a year, 1 game a week may not sound much but a few things A) the ref is on the court the full 40 mins, they don't get subbed out, they haves to be switched on all the time (we hope). B) most are not elite athletes in the slightest. Most didn't make it as players so took up the whistle. Again most have to train extremely hard to keep up physically with professional athletes!! (some admittingly don't) C) just about every referee in the NBL has a job and in most cases high level jobs. Juggling work commitments, family commitments, travel commitments including time of work is very draining and stressful. That is where the burn out comes from. The NBL referees don't have the same luxury as players who get to concentrate on basketball 100%. Players get massages, physios, recovery sessions etc. NBL refs aren't like AFL umpires who get trainers and masseurs pre-post game etc

Reply #340055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't disagree with the effort and commitment side of things, the players have to deal with that too though.

There are some incredibly fit, dedicated, high quality officials out there, funnily enough generally speaking these are the ones who seem to be keen to ref all year round and seem to be the most consistent...

Unfortunately there is also an element of elitism amongst a few too who think its below them to ref ABA/WNBL regularly let alone see it as a way to keep their skills fresh and sharp.

2 weeks off is enough in my opinion to get a little bit rusty, longer just amplifies the problem.

Reply #340066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok by that comment i reckon the refs at marion have many many weeks off

Reply #340067 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think it's more their direction from higher powers. Way too much hand checking / slapping / holding in the backcourt.

Also, too easily buying into flops, whereas a couple of years ago I was proud to say the NBL was one of the few leagues where flopping wasnt really tolerated.

Reply #340068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flipping has evolved like the game. Flopping wasn't tolerated but it also never really happened. It's now reaching epidemic proportions and the hardest thing for refs is a lot (unlike Mills/Wilson) there is some degree of contact. Referees must stop refereeing to the defenses reactions after contact and stick to the principle of making sure the offensive player actually breaks the defenders plane.

The current problem and it was mentioned above is 2 weeks without a game is enough to get rusty. Most level 2 and 3 referees are getting 1 NBL game every 6 weeks!!! This means it takes probably most of the 1st quarter to adjust and readapt to the speed of the game.

Their direction from above is better than ever, currently there just aren't enough games to go around to keep the panel consistently reffing hence the inconsistencies we are currently seeing.

Reply #340070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So cut the numbers back? Simple.

We should only have as many referees as we need. I assume as number of teams/games has decreased number of NBL referees has remained the same.

Referees should at worst be refereeing every fortnight. There's also no reason a referee can't do a game in Melbourne on Friday and a game in Sydney on Sunday.

Cut the NBL panel in half, have those numbers filter down and watch the quality of refereeing increase at all levels.

Reply #340075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 issues, possible unfair dismissal ramifications, and 2 because referees have jobs and aren't professionals like players there are work commitments thus not all refs are available all times.

I have no idea about industrial relations but I've heard unfair dismissal is one of the hurdles with just "reducing" the panel.

Reply #340076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what rubbish.

They're made redundant.

Just like the players of Brisbane, South Dragons, Canberra, Geeling, SE Melbourne Magic etc

The number of ref required has to align to the number of games played.

Players and coaches are full time employees and are dismissed all the time.

If you are not of x standard as a referee you don't get an NBL gig. Simple. How is that unfair when its based on the ability of the referee?

Reply #340079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep so there you have it, not really the refs fault, there simply isn't the games going around to keep the refs in form and keep them refing consistantly, the problem with reducing panel numbers is you kill the motivation and opportunities for the officials at the level below.

Reply #340080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No you raise the bar and make them work harder for a spot.

Just like right now in Victoria there would be 20 referees not refereeing NBL that are better then 3 of the 4 SA based NBL referes.

But that's a whole different arguement.

All I hear is excuses. Fact is we have too few games for too many refs. Drop the fat, limit gams to the elite, just like the players, and watch the standard rise.

Reply #340081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the way it's not a quality issue woth the officials, It's a lack of game issue. Is the state leagues were played over summer on a Wednesday night the std of officiating in the NBL would improve allot.

Reply #340082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you determine the referees to make redundant when last season across the board 95% scored the same? If you do it by age that's discrimination, if you do it by sex same thing! It can only be performances based and as I said most scored the same within their range!

Totally different to a team folding and no jobs left within that organization.

Reply #340083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 081 what a load of rubbish. There is no way there are 20 referees in Melbourne who are better than 3 of the 4 currently in SA NBL. Other than the current 6 NBL and probably 3 of the VIC WNBL only panel no referee outside panel 1 for SEABL in VIC are better than the SA NBL group. That's utter rubbish.

You should probably name your 20 whom I guess you are suggesting are better than McDonald, Filmer and Durant! So go for it, this should be funny

Reply #340084 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I haven't read this thread word for word. From what I have read, the only post in this thread that talks about how you might measure a referees' performance is the first one. Every other post seems to be based on subjective opinions about relative performance of NBL referees, with no evidence to back it up.

When we talk about players' relative performances, people almost instantly start comparing players' stats to state their cases for who is better than whom. The same with teams. Witness the recent discussions on Top 30, Top 5 etc of teams and players on NBL site and subsequent discussions on this forum.

So how can we have a meaningful discussion about referee performance without a common understanding of what's good and what's bad and a way to measure it?

And does anyone know what the players generally think of the standard of refereeing in the NBL?

Reply #340089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re how to determine, you need to measure things with more depth if 95% of the refs scored the same.

There should be no more than 25 refs on the panel, and Id prefer less with if that is logistically possible, and with refs travelling this year I imagine it is.

Reply #340091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has become more possible Paul with games moving to predominantly Friday, Saturday and Sunday's. But games in new Zealand on Thursdays for instance kill the NBL as its a full days travel thus a full day off work and from my knowledge not all level 1's can take a full day off midweek.

There are a few ways to better appraise referees but a lot comes down to cost, availability of vision and removing geographical biased from the evaluating process. At present each game is evaluated in person by a local evaluator at the venue. This leads to inconsistencies in reporting because what 1 evaluators sees as a foul another evaluator in another state might night. Currently calling us split up into on and off ball, you could reduce this further to specific call types but would this serve any purpose? Who knows. What does need to occur is the evaluations be assessed and scored by one person so there is a consistent approach to the end of year order of merit. The next thing that needs to occur is more honest evaluating by both the referee and evaluator. Referees get to much benefit of the doubt re-calls. Personal opinion is evaluators aren't harsh enough when assessing performance.

Reply #340092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here's a thought stop analyzing in detail and call it as you see it. What bothers me most they don't have a feel for the game as they have not played at that level themselves. Best refs I have seen use their feelings and intuition. This is lacking nowdays.

Just call it as you see it.

Reply #340093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my knowledge only Kevin Marsh has played in the NBL and then become a NBL referee so to say they don't have a feeling because they have never played at that level is a cop out because you have no examples to compare!!

Less refs and more games is the best option but at present it's not viable as NBL referees aren't 100% available. And in reference to "call it as you see it" I'd suggest 99% would say they do that but in the minds of the fan they are shit at that too

Reply #340102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

95% of refs scored the same because the old system of analysis wouldnt allow for refs to be marked out of their range for their level combined with the fact P.T completely destroying the levelness of the playing field and looked after his favorites and held back those who deserved a go.
By all acounts things are significantly better now.

Im convinced the Victorian Refs are the best by far but with only 1 local team its hard to give games without creating travel cost issues.
Its the sheer strength of the lower league; SEABL and before that Wed night Div system that's the main reason we have so many good Refs in Victoria.

Many on the WNBL panel are better than some on the NBL panel but geography and sheer numbers simply holds them back, or benefits weaker refs in other states.

Reply #340115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are only 2 on Victoria's WNBL panel that could get a gig at NBK in another state and they are Todd Spain and Jason Kelly. The next closest would be Chris Clarke. The rest not even close. Then the next two best up and comers are Jon Chapman and Daniel Battye, the rest don't have any feel for the game.

The vba championships on a Wednesday night finished approx in 1999, most of the current SEABL panel never refereed championship men so you can say it has any bearing now 12 or 13 years later. The seabl and a very string Friday night junior championship comp are however reasons why there is more depth in Victoria but they dOnt have as much talent as stated in the previous post

Reply #340153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#anon153 you are on drugs, Kelly is too much of a hot head for NBL, Spain maybe, Andreola should have been there 5 years ago, clarke is barely ready for WNBL and the others arent even close.

Reply #340154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andreola shouldn't even be on SEABL! I think your the one on drugs and Kelly hasn't been a hot head for years. The post was in response to the comment that so many more Victorian refs should or could be in the NBL elsewhere which isn't true! But Andreola!!!!!! OMG! She is lucky to be in the top 10 outside of the NBL guys. That's funny

Reply #340158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

158, typical sexist bs comment, you have no idea what so ever, obviously you're a bitter ref who's been out ranked by a better ref who happens to be female.

Reply #340159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Kelly hasn't been a hot head in years, dude, that's hilarious. He was the most arrogant conceited seabl official last year by a mile and the powers know it.

Reply #340160 | Report this post

36erssolja  
Years ago

Do i really need to make or pass comment on this subject considering i had chest pain the other day.

But for Benn McDonalds sake, I will.

This guy is a tosser, pretty crap on the football field as a player, dictating his team players to do things, but as he is so crap there, he tries his hand at basketball and sucks also. So my advice to him is give up. 1/10 (he gets 1 cos he is trying hard)

Ray Hunt= old mare,grey sheep aint what ya used to be.

Tim Mills= good ref, swo where the hell is he? Oh thats right, he does WNBL.

Phil Haines= Benn McDonalds soap on the rope shower buddy. 2/10

Raoul Kirsten= calls every foul like it for Melbourne. And forgets he is Victorian and biased towards Melbourne.

And the rest, well they do alright.

Average reffing but last games refs were good (melbourne v Adelaide).

Why cant we have them every week?

My 2 cents :)

Reply #340165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kelly is a hot head and the powers that be no it how did he get the seabl championship game!!

Oh yeah I always get out ranked by Andreola, god dude it totally sucks.

Maybe you should go back and look at the rankings and note she finished top 10 and didn't get a men's final in either Big V or SEABL. Gee I wonder why that is?

Reply #340172 | Report this post

Heidi  
Years ago

Yes they are! I was watching a game today and then what I see? 11 travels and no whistle and no travel then whistling everything! The other team was out of players because of the bad referess please train your referee to ref better next time! And plus I can do the ref the whole game a lot better! The referee don't know the proper rules of basketball and all the audiences nomatter what team they are for, they know the ref is being unfair to the other team! Don't be mean to visitors and feed the home team!

Reply #639937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol ok Heidi, are you Chinese? China is the home of joke/corrupt referees

Reply #639939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the game over in OT with Melbourne up by 10pts China persisted to foul in unnecessary situations. Weird.

Reply #639940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Chinese refs doing a great job NO. But that's normal in China. Nothing to see here.

Reply #639946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754