negyven_negy
Years ago

New Orlean's Dan Dickau - NBA Most Improved?

Is New Orleans point guard Dan Dickau the NBA's most improved player for the 2004-05 season? Unless you were a diehard NBA nerd (like myself...lol) its quite possible you may not have even heard of him before this season. Since his trade to New Orleans early this season, he is averaging roughly 15 points and 5 assists per game and making a serviceable backcourt tandem with rookie J.R. Smith.
I see his competition for this award being from:
Bobby Simmons, Los Angeles Clippers
Tyson Chandler, Chicago Bulls (my pick for the 6th Man award)
LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat.
What does everyone think?

Topic #2691 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Gordon for 6th man, surely?

Dickau's recorded the biggest rise in stats, but the others are all impressive too. Lebron or Wade might get it due to sheer level of attention. I'd say Wade.

Reply #30247 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Does anyone else think that a 'MI' award is a little degrading after about Under 16, when you consider it really says, you weren't very good but ya better now

That's how i and lots others see it

Reply #30257 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

Ok I must admit Ben Gordon will probably get the 6th Man Award. But I personally prefer Chandler's defense and rebounding off the bench, and how he is proving his doubters wrong. He isn't living up to his initial hype, but he is becoming a different player to what people expected when he entered The League in 2001. Gordon's performances this year have been unexpected as well. He is the best pure scorer from this year's draft no doubt.

Reply #30259 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

My Open A coach at school unofficially gave me the 'Most Improved' award last year...lol. I say unofficially because he mentioned it during a speech at the team's award night but no actual award was given to me. Basically before last year I could not score a point really and during the year I felt (and so did my coach) that I improved greatly. My mum thought it was degrading and it meant that I couldn't play though, so I see what you mean by your comment there Degenerate.

Reply #30260 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Either Wade or LeBron could win it from moving from Star to Superstar status.

Dickau, Simmons and Primoz Brezec have gone from nowhere to consistant starters. All worthy candidates, I think they'll give it to Wade also.

Reply #30286 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

Oh yea I forgot about Primoz Brezec! He has improved a lot. I suppose a lot of guys would have improved more as well though if given the opportunity, but some have had it (eg. Darius Miles) and havent taken advantage of it. Dickau, Brezec and Simmons have though, and its good to see.

Reply #30302 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

The "Most Improved Award" degrading - you have got to be kidding! I would covet that award more than any other than a championship!

It means that compared to the others in your team you have improved you game the most. It doesn't mean you were crap and now you are not...

Reply #30314 | Report this post

negyven_negy  
Years ago

I agree with Pegs! It's the best recognition for the effort you have put in to improves your skills. I don't know if it's worth more than a championship though.

Reply #30317 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I think I missed a comma-

"I would covet that award more than any, other than a championship!"

:-)

Reply #30320 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Generally players who's stats have improved while their minutes have not jumped significantly are the leading candidates for the award, which makes sumone like wade, lebron, or larry hughes candidates. Its not just stats its also intangibles...and status.

Reply #30324 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

sixth man-tyson chandler
most improved-bobby simmons

chandler doesnt get starters minutes but still is able to pull a 20 odd rebound night on a casual basis and 10 to 15 points.add in a few blocks too.
bobby simmons has turn from a unknown to a known in a big way averaging 16 6 6 this season.

PO dan dickau

Reply #30368 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

My choice for six man of the year is Ricky Davis he leads all six man in points per game and is a really impact player that can win games for his team. Which is much like Ben Gordon in that way. But Ricky rebounds plays the defence and can take over the game at any time not only in the fourth quarter. For most improved I would go with Primoz Brezec but I think that Wade or James will get it.

Reply #30393 | Report this post

ben  
Years ago

i either think wally scherbiak or tyson chandler will get most improved. Wallys scoring has increased and chandlers rebounding has increased but i will lik o see a little bit more gametime from chandler

Reply #67744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754