Jonno
Years ago

Aaron Bruce

What are everyones thoughts on Bruce's season so far?

to me from what i have seen he has been fantastic and one of the top Aussie PG's in the league.

Im not completely surprised as i predicted after a full pre season he would average around 12 pts and 5 assists.

Would the 36ers have been better to keep him, he would definatly be a upgrade on Ng or Herbert but he would also likely be twice as expensive (or more), so if we let say Ng go for Bruce we would have had to go for maybe a cheaper import, but i dont think anyone can complain about out current imports, so its not a simple answer. Not too upset we spent the money on our imports and let Bruce go but i also would have been happy to see him as a 36er, id say the kings would have made him an offer we could not match.

A line up of

Johnson/Helliwell
Simpson/Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Bruce/Herbert
Warren/Crosswell

would have been great to watch though,

one other way would have been to let Ballinger go and keep Bruce and Holmes (assuming Ballinger is on big $$), but given he had a contract, was our MVP and captain it would have been a very risky and controversial move. Not saying i would have done it but would a line up of (below) do better than our current team

Johnson/Helliwell
Simpson/Holmes
Weigh/Creek
Bruce/Herbert
Warren/Crosswell

Who knows? But glad to see Bruce and Holmes still in the NBL and doing well as ive always liked them. I always though they were capable of more than they did last season.

Topic #26918 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Guys are always gonna shine when leaving Clarkes program - he seems to put a bee in their bonnets!

Reply #340195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know for a fact that the 36ers never spoke to Aaron Bruce after the season finished! I think he will/is a massive loss and is getting back into the best form. Not many players can play both guard positions.

Reply #340197 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

And how many TO's does he have per game? That is the killer of his game, it is a loose free flowing style that doesn't suit the coaches. Aaron will have a great game then 2 mediocre ones. If you are a coach that is happy to live with that then he will do just fine. If you need him to be consistent each game you will get frustrated.

Assist to TO ratio is 1.59

compared to his contemporaries in other Aussie PG's

Martin 1.89
Gibson 2.35

Crosswell's stats wouldn't come up on nbl.com.au but he is leading the League in assists so you could easily say that the move was the correct one. NC is also getting 1 more assist per game off the bench.

Reply #340199 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Bruce is a lot like Hill. When they left the club, they have excelled. And on both occasions against us, Aaron played well with the Kings. So it says something about the coach now doesnt it?

Reply #340200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why did he suck so much in the abl last year. that mavs team with bruce, hill and madgen was rubbish!

Reply #340202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 turnover last night

Reply #340204 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His assist to turnover ratio in the games he was predominantly playing PG is better than 2:1. He is having an outstanding season and will only get better as he gets his game closer to its peak. Afterall, he is only 26 and still coming off a long lay-off.

I think Adelaide's point men are doing pretty well this year, so I dont think you could say they should have kept Bruce.

Reply #340205 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

i would hardly say he has excelled, look at the second half of his rookie season.
Lots to like about Aaron but a lot of short comings overall which makes people nervous about him.
How did he go from a superstar freshman in college to bench rider
He has gone from Boomer at the worlds to a forgotten man.
Something more than just his game style is a factor IMO

Reply #340207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bruce is a lot like Hill. When they left the club, they have excelled."

Yep, Hill is going great up in Cairns with 9.4PPG (36%FG and 10%3PT). What are star! 36ers sure could use him!

Reply #340210 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz, he isn't really a true PG so theres no point comparing his assist to turnover ratio.

He is a combo guard, and used at the 2 position commonly. His role this year has been to be aggressive and look for his shot and he has done that. His role isn't solely to go out there and be a passive distributor, so the assist to turnover ratio stats don't really say much about how well he has played thus far.

Plus he had 9 assists and 1 turnover last night, so its really not a great time to mention his assist to turnover ratio.

Reply #340211 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

i think it is as it proves my point
watch his next game and see what happens

Last game
0/5
3 A
3 TO
1 ST

Game before that

4/10
1 A
2 TO

Reply #340215 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , that's what he gets for playen those two with injuries (and taken 18months off basketball).
Thought it was pretty good ,last nite , even though ya reckon he cain't play.
While others don't hate anything , except hatred.

Reply #340218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is a pure point guard, and he will be considered one of Australia's best by the end of this year.

Reply #340226 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

macdub - the thread was opened with the premise that bruce is one of. the leading Aussie point guards, so it makes sense to discuss him as a point guard. and since when do assists matter if you're not playing point guard, but turnovers don't?

Reply #340243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd be more concerned about having lost him if he was a strong defensive player.

Reply #340250 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You dont think he is a solid defender?

Reply #340254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is a lock down defender.

His problem here was 100% offence because Bruce needs to play with flair and not the structure that Clarke demands.

Bruce wanted to stay, Clarke didn't want him.

Reply #340263 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I listed him as a SG and consider him a combo guard as yes he is erratic at times, hence why i would use him at SG a fair bit so he isnt always the main distributor, but yea is a good passer and playmaker aswell.

As a combo guard his As/TO ratio seems ok to me, not that much lower than Martin's and Bruce plays with more flair offensively, hence a few more turonvers and as a combo guard thats fine to me.

Yea probably wouldnt be a huge difference maker as far as ladder position but he is better than both Ng and Herbert, also likely to be more expensive and he isnt a star defender but his defense is solid enough to me probably better than most of our guards.

Im a bit surprised the 36ers didnt atleast offer him the back up PG/SG spot, even if it was just Ng's spot, he is definatly worth that, i would have offered him starting SG with Herbert as his back up, he did ok last season considering he was out of the game for over a year IMO. Sure kings would have outbidded him on Ng's spot but yea we should have atleast spoken to him and seen if he would stay at a reasonable price as our 5th starter at SG or 6th man type role and average salary for that type of player.

Reply #340267 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Always loved Aaron since his first season at Baylor. He starred in his first 2 years at Baylor as that combo scoring guard. Haven't seen him play that sort of role yet in the NBL. I get the feeling Aaron will be one of the players that will never see much team success but will always be a good player on an average team.

Reply #340277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is still chucking and shooting poorly from the field and was always an ordinary defender.

Reply #340284 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Was that Aaron Bruce playing for the Sydney Kings on Friday that you saw anon ? Number 11 .
I've never met him or spoken to him , but he played very well and set up the win.
While some a big fans of Luke Cooper.
The few sixers I've met briefly have all been friendly. Only one that wasn't . His voice trailed off inchoately sayen that he was happy with the minutes Ninnis gives him. He played for the Gold Coast here last nite and I cain't comment on his ability.

Reply #340317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel, Tom Garlepp.

Reply #340338 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Camel, who are these big fans of Cooper apart from Mal?!

Reply #340341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper is a joke!

Reply #340370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cooper doesnt even dominate aba level in nsw let alone nbl

Reply #340375 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I enjoyed Bruce's alley-oooops to Grant , even though a lotta people cain't stand them.

Reply #340389 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Camel 31: what sort of idiot would NOT like alley oops? Bruce and Grant combo has been working great over the weekend... hopefully we can get some of that action at HOME this time!

And for whoever has been saying Bruce is crap, I think he proved last night that even when not scoring, 9:3 Ass:TO ratio is pretty sweet... and that's backing up two nights after Melbourne, against the league leading team...

Hopefully this can become his consistent effort...

Reply #340429 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That Alley-Oop to open Sydney's scoring was huge.
Noone else in the league would have got to that ball, let alone finish it. Then he almost posterises Knight a couple plays later.

Reply #340434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If no one else would've got to that ball it says something about the quality of the pass.

Reply #340448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the pass was perfect.. Abercrombie, dorsey, creek all would of spiked that jam... grant and bruce combination is exciting to watch in pick and rolls and alley oop plays!

Reply #340461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We still havent seen the best of Bruce yet ;)

Reply #344996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah we have, he's 27 years old.

Reply #344998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah we havent. But for the most part he has been excellent this year. Still does stupid stuff occasionally but Sydney would be terrible without him.

Reply #345002 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

bit harsh on Cooper....He was on fire in 2011 until the injury so i'd cut him alittle slack as he is a good NBL back up/energy guy as he gets up and in and can annoy the oppistion PG whislt your starting PG gets a couple of mins a quarter break.

Also on Bruce he'll only be better next year as he did have a year off after leaving Baylor so i think he won't plateau until his early 3's pending injuries.

Reply #345005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is the least liked player on the Kings roster.

Reply #345016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan was the least liked player on the bulls roster.

Reply #345020 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The trouble is that he cain't get his free throws in.

Reply #345024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754