Anonymous
Years ago

Vanderjagt or Allen??

Surely the crocs must be cursing the fact they have to keep Allen over Vanderjagt.

I think Vanderjagt has really shown his worth as a solid back up 5 man in this league.

Oh and this ain't a crack at Allen as I think in a couple of years he'll be a solid back up 5 to

Topic #26928 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Allen very overated, Vanderjagt good honest worker.Take him over Allen any day.

Reply #340371 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Vanderjagt over Allen anyday..Its a no-brainer.

I don't think Allen will be a solid backup 5 anytime soon..Im just about certain no other teams, not even the Crocs, will want to sign him next year.

Reply #340372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That remark about him taking a few more years to be a solid back-up is a pretty backhanded compliment. He didn't enter the league as a complete rookie, he had four years at college and is coming up on 25. I know they say bigs can take time to get to their prime, but he has two years on Daniel Johnson as one example and a year on Alex Pledger.

Reply #340376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not everyone can be a starter though. Every team needs some solid career back ups. Whether Allen becomes that I am not sure, but he needs to play alongside a strong power forward.

Reply #340383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is he even looking like he's in a hurry to be a useful backup? Crocs lost their two major bigs and he's still averaging barely over 10 MPG. Vanderjagt after his good season as an injury replacement for the Blaze hasn't been getting many minutes either.

Allen cops it for being a three-jacking soft big, but he hasn't attempted a three all season. Attempted a little over one every two games last season, which is not dissimilar to Behrendorff who never had that "three-camping" tag.

Reply #340392 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Allen - No fire. No ticker. Soft as a pillow. Terrible defender. Had 3 pt range in college but can't even be a soft stretch 4 any more. He's even failing at being a soft stretch 4, that's where his career is at.

Every shot is a fade away, even if he catches the ball deep in the post (which is rare because he is such a terrible post player and can't seal his defender) he finds a way to fade away. Travels every time he attempts a pump fake also.

Actually reminds me of Vandy's little brother - possesses all the "guard" skills that are rare for a big man, except lacks the ones that count: no post game, doesn't care about losing and doesn't want to work hard ON THE NIGHT. Would love to just run from 3 pt line to 3 pt line all night, not sweat, and go straight to town to party. Doesnt look like he loves the game at all, probably just plays because he's tall.

Will never be a post player. I think that's asking too much of him, the best you can hope for is an Andrea Bargnani type three point slinging stretch 4 who wont defend or rebound. Still its better than what he is now...

Vandy - few skills, immobile, slow-footed, not much of a post game either. Pros: Hard worker, taller than Allen, will hit the mid range jumper if he has time to get off his incredibly slow release. Not afraid of anyone in the NBL. Won't grab a tonne of rebounds due to his slow footspeed, but then again wont drop any if they fall within his reach, unlike Allen who can give up rebounds that fall right in his lap like few in history.

Still, I'd take Vandy any day of the week.

Reply #340450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

credit to vandy for making the most of the opportunity, I just hope the hawks consider him for grubers replacement and he can continue on the season

as i've said before allen will be a qbl player next year unless he shows something more closer to the hoop, I thought training with holmes might have been good for his game but alas

Reply #340508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754