Flava Flav
Years ago

Maher Vs Weigh

As Boooti is preaching hate and negativeness I thought I would give you a little comparative stats from our legend Brett Maher and Stephen Weigh. Now before you start trolling these stats are from Mahers 94 season when he was 21 so take it was you want.

Maher
32 minutes
13 points
F/g 49%
3pt 48%
3.3 assists
4.2 rpg
1.8 T/os

Weigh
34 minutes
12.8 points
F/g 42%
3pt 37%
1.8 assists
6.3 rpg
2.3 T/os

This was Mahers best year as far as shooting%, they're great numbers.
Maher was playing with Rose, Davis, Smyth, blakemore, McKay, ninnies, wheeler etc so it was sensationally stacked team with huge depth and wisdom.

Weigh I think is doing really well considering how young a team he is playing with and without taking anything away from the great man, Weigh when taking into account team mates etc is having almost a good a year as Maher had at the same
age.

Topic #26933 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that Adelaide team finished third. People complain more when their team is losing.

Reply #340455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big difference. Maher was much more efficient, better defensively (at that age) and much better on the little things that team-mates appreciate.

Reply #340458 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Actually think it was fourth in 1994 and knocked off the fancied Tigers in the Semi's.
Davis sustaining a shoulder injury that could have made a big difference to the outcome of that 94 GF Series.

Reply #340459 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Isn't Steven Weigh 24?

Reply #340462 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Just to throw more discussion on the table...

If I recall, Maher was the 3rd option on offence in that team, while I'm fairly sure that as of now, Stevie and DJ are vying for 1st.

I think Maher was a very opportunistic scorer back then because of the talent level that team had; he scored more often than not when he saw that window of opportunity. (Yes, that includes fast breaks).

I understand the subtly in this subject about demonstrating Weigh's progress vs the Great One; but unfortunately as Isaac pointed out to an extent, it's situational and unfortuantely Steve has the added pressure of having to perform on a sub-par performing team; so this comparison doesn't really cut it.

Reply #340465 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

On the money there Big Ads!

Reply #340470 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think people are more concerned about Weigh's minutes than his production, Maher's 32 minutes in a 48 minute game means he's in court for 67% of the game, while Weigh's 34 minutes take up 85% of the the 40 minute game. Big difference.

If one player is on court for 85% of the game under a couch that regularly runs 10 players (or even 11 last game I think?) then you'd expect that guy to be an absolute stud.

Reply #340473 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

haha, whats the actual comparison here Flava...? Not real sure what if you are for Weigh, or against him, because the info doesn't stand in his favour at all!

Reply #340474 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Maher and good defender should never be in the same sentence

Reply #340475 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Also just found this from years ago whilst looking through the archives

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/14281-stephen-weigh/

Reply #340476 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Weigh can shoot and rebound but i agree with Boti in terms of what Billo points out,

Creek is much quicker and more tenacious defensively, and some of Weigh's excessive minutes should go to Creek to improve our defense.

Reply #340478 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Haha I remember Robert Rose overriding the coach and subbing out Brett Maher in that series against the Giants when he kept freezing and choking.

Also, Weigh is not 21. He is 24 or 5, if I am not wrong...

Reply #340480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz,

I think you just did put them in the same sentence!!

Reply #340481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher's stats are far superior, WTF?

Reply #340485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would prefer to see him compared with SFs of a similar age, rather than a prodigal point guard.

Someone like Cattalini is a fairer comparison, and even he was a top-flight player whereas given reasonable imports, Balls and DJ, we just need someone more reliable and serviceable than stomping on every opponent.

Cattalini had five seasons in the league before he stepped up in his sixth at 25 years of age to top double figures (in a 48 minute game), then 27 yo when he hit 20 PPG.

At 24, Cat was 8.5 PPG and 3.6 RPG. The following season, playing about 30 MPG, he was topping 15 PPG.

Weigh is 24ish now. 12.8 PPG and 6.3 RPG. Hitting at a comparable but slightly lower clip to Cattalini in his 15ish PPG season.

We've seen DJ start to play more confidently as he's put up stats this year. Hopefully Weigh can attack (smartly) more and do the same. His 37.5% 3P is OK but not devastating by any stretch, so I'd rather see him go inside or pull up for jumpers.

All that said, I do think Creek is more often the one to be part of effective scoring runs and can definitely see more time. e.g., let Balls rest and instead run with: Warren, Ng, Creek, Weigh, Johnson if Simpson needs to sit.

Reply #340487 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

When he has a good game, we have won.
Issue people have is that he is given 30+ minutes regardless of how he's playing on the night. Even getting minutes over Simpson, Creek etc who are earning extra minutes, but not getting them.
A good Weigh game is worth 35+ minutes, unfortunately a bad Weigh game is only worth 25 or less but he still gets big minutes.
34 minutes a game for someone who's played his best twice is too much.
Reward his good games with big minutes because he deserves it. But give someone else a go if he isn't.

Maher played 2/3 of game time that year. With those numbers.
Weigh gets almost 7/8. 3/4 would be 26-27 minutes which would be about right.

Reply #340493 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Maybe a verbal deal when signing about getting to play consistent minutes?

Reply #340500 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Weigh didn't offer much at all on Saturday night yet he was once again rewarded with 30+ minutes of court time. His defense was turnstile at best. Any player who can run and dribble just makes him look like a slow moving statue on their way to another bucket. And with the ball in his hands his shot selection left a lot to be desired. When there are opposition forwards under or around the basket and your team mates aren't.....don't put up a 3 point shot, especially in the first 5 seconds of the 24 second clock. If you miss (which he did often) then you're just giving the opposition a free pass.

That's been just about the story of his season, if you don't count the games against Perth or the Tigers. Two good games out of eight doesn't

Comparing Weigh to Maher? Apples and oranges. Different ages, different skills, different positions......

Reply #340501 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I seriously hope there isn't an agreement on his minutes.
If that's what it took to get him here, then I'd rather we missed out to be honest.
No player should be guaranteed a certain amount of playing time. He has the ability to earn that sort of time, but he has to earn it, not just have it handed to him.
If he has a bad game, his playing time should decrease just like anyone else. We have potentially 3 bigs on our list who should be getting good minutes (Ballinger has to get back to his best). It already seems to be affecting Simpson's (and Creek's) minutes, imagine if we had both him and Ballinger both sitting for 20 minutes a game because we aren't contractually allowed to decrease Weighs minutes.
What's the incentive for him to perform if he's going to get the same time regardless?
An agreement of this nature could seriously affect our ability to compete.

Reply #340502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher's stats when he was 24-
FG%-46.7
3P%-46.5
APG-5.0
BPG-0.1
SPG-1.9
TPG-2.4
OPG-1.5
DPG-2.7
TRPG-4.2
FT%-79.8
PPG-18.8
MPG-42.9
EFF-19.7

To me that is far superior then Weigh, and this was on a much better team.

Reply #340503 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

The real problem is the coach Weigh is under. I dont mind him as a player at all. Its the coach who isnt doing the proper job of utilising Creek when Weigh is struggling.

Reply #340515 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Yep I think Weigh is on court too much, and he starts to coast on defence. Mind you when the coach has him guarding a point guard that does not help!
To me, a lot of potential, but he seems to be in a developmental phase, and should be treated as a development player. i.e. less minutes, and more focus on what he is there for.

Reply #340521 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Weigh and Cattalini would be a better comparison.

Reply #340528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt the minutes are a contractual thing. Remember that Radford's come from a successful program at Perth, that it would be something they are trying to emulate in Adelaide and that Weigh would be the player most familiar with that. Could be something along those lines. That, and they would want him to take the next step and throwing him in the deep end might do that. I guess the beef is that we want Creek to be taking that step too.

As I've said, maybe if Ballinger sits until he's fully recovered, Weigh can get some of his minutes at PF covering for either of the main two bigs.

Reply #340529 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Does anyone know why Weigh moved to Adelaide?

Players normally move either money or opportunity (or sometimes of combintation). Opportunity could include better coaching, more chance of winning or more playing time. Anyone know (or care to guess) why Weigh moved?

Reply #340535 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think you will find the only reason Creek is here (and possibly Weigh) is Marty.

Reply #340536 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Wasn't there some rumour that the Perth players were happy to see him go? Is that because he didn't fit in with the group? Is too individual?? Off court stuff??? Doesn't play defence????

Reply #340538 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At Perth they got Toovey to start and Weigh off the bench.
No . I'm not disillusioned . I'm just not illusioned , either.
Like when I was at high school , I considered the teachers pet a phony , just a spoiled kid with whom I didn't have much in common.

Reply #340540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine it was the SF logjam at Perth. Tovey and Redhage. Williamson can play spot minutes there, Wagstaff can play there also. A chance for Weigh to go from that to Adelaide where he has a very young Creek, a bit of Herbert and not really anyone else. And he could go in knowing Radford, etc.

Reply #340548 | Report this post

bolter13  
Years ago

wow!
I would say Weigh moved for opportunity. He has already won a championship , so growth would be more important. He had a quiet game on Sat, but had the crap marked out of him. Joey always does that. Harvey was like super glue. I thought he looked like he may have a slight foot or ankle injury as he wasn't as mobile.
I think you are being stupid in thinking the minutes are written into his contract. What coach in his right mind is going to commit to that. Don't be so crazy.
Minutes isn't all about scoring and lets face it when you bag players and I notice typically weigh , it is always his scoring your critize. Alot of things mater on the court besides scoring. Leadership,defense ( and he can play D), what other players are or are NOT doing. To me it seemed like he was trying to set up some offence, but every time the ball left his hands , who ever got it just tried to score with it.
Some time a coach will leave a player on having a quieter game because it is a safer option. Some players are more settling within a team. Been around long enough to realize that. Simpson was good again, Ng was great for them, dj good, and some others fair. a lot of different rotations on Saturday night, but you probably didn't notice.
Why are you comparing him to Maher anyway. Totally different positions . Why don't you compare Warren and Neville then?

Reply #340561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bolter13,

Mate what are you on about? Weigh's D has been pathetic. Keep's getting caught on screens, beaten off the dribble, couldn't keep Kevin R from Sydney off the boards nor challenge Madgen's favoured pull-up J.

On top of that he has been shithouse on the offensive end, unable to beat anyone off the dribble and missing contested jumpers.

Reply #340564 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm convinced Weigh has compromising photos of someone in Sixers admin.

I may have said as much to Mitch Creek Sat night after the game in town. I may have also been plastered.

Reply #340721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754