joey jo jo junior
Years ago

NBA players who can not opt out

Would be interesting to compile a list to see who will not be returning to the NBA this season...

Patty Mills

Topic #26941 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Brooks
Wilson Chandler
JR Smith
Kenyon Martin

Reply #340617 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Apart from losing the money from the contract what is actually stopping them from leaving?

You dont go to jail for quitting one job to go to another?

Reply #340618 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

the Denver Nuggets

Reply #340619 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

FIBA clearance is required.

Reply #340620 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While some stuck in China wanna go to court to see if they can get out.

Reply #340622 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Could this affect Patty's chances for the future in the NBA?
Who would want to give another player an opportunity to prove themselves?

Reply #340624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ffs they made their choice to chase the money now they wanna leave a mess behind in china to chase it somewhere else, starting to get pissed off with the shallowness of basketball stateside lately and the reputation that has on the game.

Reply #340625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought Brooks, Chandler, etc were released from their contracts for "personal reasons"?

Personal reason being: I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Reply #340628 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

China - Aaron Brooks, Wilson Chandler, Dan Gadzuric, Kenyon Martin, Patrick Mills, Josh Powell, JR Smith

Italy - David Andersen, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Brian Scalabrine, Mustafa Shakur, Garrett Temple, Von Wafer, Mario West

France - Hilton Armstrong

Greece - Jon Diebler

Lithuania - Sonny Weems

Russia - Chris Quinn

Spain - Joey Dorsey, Pooh Jeter, Acie Law

Turkey - Darius Songaila, Sasha Vujacic

Reply #340630 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I think Patty could struggle to get back in the NBA. If he doesn't get a game after March (i.e this NBA season) then he will have to contend with a loaded rookie class too the following year. What is the story with his rights / free agent status with the Blazers?

Reply #340643 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Without a clearance through the Chinese Association to FIBA, no player is able to play in another league. They can leave their teams, and China, but will be unable to play in the NBA.
So what do they do?
Play the rest of the Chinese season for the Millions they signed on for, and go back to NBA in March, or leave China and not get paid at all, and still have to wait until March to play in the NBA anyway.

Seems simple really.

Reply #340654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Achtung Baby is right. Unless the Chinese team agrees to release you from your contract if you want to play pro basketball anywhere you have to stay there until March.

I believe Mills has a qualifying offer on the table from the Blazers for around $1.2 million. He's on $1.5 million in China so I'd assume when free agency starts they will withdraw their offer and Mills would be free to sign with any NBA team in March.

Reply #340656 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lol at being stuck playing in a shitty chinese league for a year while everyone else is back in the NBA

Reply #340661 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

So easy to see the Tall Poppey syndrome is alive and well in basketball circles.

Patty is a very talented bball player who has been a fine example for his people and this country. Similar to Sean Marks he seems to be a great locker room presence etc.

So you are Patty and on $200K to play in Melbourne. Someone offers you $1.5 M. What are you gonna do?

If he stays here and doesnt get an NBA gig he ends up making 200K (at most) for the rest of his career and will have to start looking for jobs for after retirement.

Even if he never gets back to the NBA and eventually lands in Oz again I still can't believe that people here would bag him for taking the money. With an anxtra million or so he could be set for life. Why would anyone deny him that opportunity?

Sport = business. Players should not be expected to be loyal and the expense of their life and career. AFL players etc have the right idea. Clubs show no loyalty so why should the players?

Just ask Corletto about loyalty!

Reply #340667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne, he had a $900,000 offer on the table from Portland but looked short term and went for the chinese loot, when what he needed was to play against good comp and get better. Greedy and also probably on the end of some bad advice.

Reply #340671 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm not laughing at Patty alone, him and every other player that signed for a year in China can share in my mockery while guys like Lebron and Durant spent their time engaging with fans and putting on games waiting this drama out.

Reply #340672 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Come on Mystro, a tad ridiculous to compare Mills to LeBron and Durant. The latter could retire now and live in luxury the rest of their lives. Patty is at the bottom end and relies on this income to live. Unfortunately the players Union don't look at it from those players point f view. They are run and influenced by the big name bg paid players. They also don't take into consideration the blue collared workers who lose incomes from them not playing.

Reply #340677 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

See where you are going anon with the Portland offer. For mine though to say no to 1.5 and hope the NBA started and he got what you say is a big risk IMO

Reply #340679 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Remember for a long time the whole season was looking like being cancelled. What else do you do when that is your primary income? Go where the jobs are at.

People need to get persepective. Ive seen it on here before. If it was you, in your normal jobs, and you were offered 10x the amount you're earning now, Im sure just about everyone would say yes. Especially for 4 months of work!!!

Get a life, lay off people trying to set up theirs.

Reply #340682 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm with the Anon re: Patty... he could have taken bigger money offers in Europe against better competition instead of playing NBL, but he made a HUGE deal about playing locally to "rescue the NBL" and all that crap, and then when the Chinese money comes along, drops the Tigers quicker than they dropped Corletto... If it was about the money, he should have been upfront about that instead of making the huge sacrifice to play for the betterment of the NBL and Australian basketball...

This isn't the first bit of bad advice he's been given and taken, so if he's stupid enough to lock into a contract only thinking about long term, not about how hard it will be to get back INTO the NBA with other players just as good, if not better, battling for the same spots, when he was lucky to get kept at Portland as it was, then good luck to him...

Reply #340685 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Isn't Denver kind of screwed by a bunch of their players heading to China?
If they want to use their cap-space to sign replacement players they will have to waive their rights to re-sign Smith, Chandler and Martin.

Plus it sounds like Nene wants to leave and I doubt Andre Miller will be happy playing behind Lawson or being 10yrs older then everyone else on the roster.

Reply #340686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 23, should have stayed playing here in a top league getting better against all the good guards, then signed with Portland once the lockout ended.

If the NBA season was cancelled and he really needed the money then take a bigger offer, even though he had made some decent coin the past two years and was being looked after by Melbourne.

But at his age he should be playing here or in a good European comp to get better if not in the NBA, definitely not heading to the NBA retirement home in China to cash in. That bit of extra coin he makes now he may well lose later if his game doesnt improve and he cant get back into the NBA or command big dollars in Europe.

Reply #340688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing for some duration (longer than a Boomers tour) in China would be a great experience too. Not the end of the world for him. Worst case (short of injury), he gets that experience then plays in Europe or the NBL for better-than-average money until he retires and runs media-friendly outreach sports programs.

Reply #340689 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Panther, Sean Marks who has never been on big $ and is currently a free agent sat back and used the lockout to let his body heal so he can get himself into the best position to get another contract as did a lot of other players (he had offers). My point is that there were plenty of other opportunities during the lockout and because they chased the $ and now they have to live with their decisions. China isn't going to give up any of these players without a fight.

Reply #340690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty will not make it back into the NBA.
WIlson Chandler has taken to missing practices and being late for games in a hope of being released from his contract. All that happened is that he got suspended without pay for a week.

Reply #340691 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like that perspective Isaac (I was the anon above, forgot to put my name in), while it is a poor decision for his basketball development, as long as he approaches things with the right frame of mind it will be a good experience and he can still have a long and fruitful career.

I guess the irony could be that choosing the big money option now may lead to mid level money later on. He has certainly made an NBA career a much longer shot now.

Reply #340708 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's simply a matter of convincing the club to release them for "personal reasons", or wait 'till whichever foreign season ends, and they go back to the NBA for a cushy short stint. Either way I can't see any of these guys losing sleep over it.

What you have to remember is that some of the guys in this thread won't get an NBA contract offer.

Maybe Mills knew there is no contract waiting for him on the table in Rip City, and cashed in while he could?

You certainly don't become a better player by playing in the Chinese league...

Reply #340769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He had a contract offer. Maybe he knew he wouldnt make the final roster, but I think it was a guaranteed contract offer. Does anyone know that for sure?

Reply #340771 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mills's Qualyfing Contract (of $1.2M) doesn't mean he's gonna be there at the final end.

Reply #340772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats wrong with the Chinese league?

Reply #340792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: the China situation for the NBA players there:

Team officials have prepared for the possibility some players could try to force their way out of deals, but their contracts give teams the latitude to fine and suspend players without pay. Chinese teams invested heavily when they signed NBA players, also providing hotel suites, personal drivers and chefs to make the players more comfortable.

"They can play, get paid [in China] and return to the NBA in March," one Chinese team official said. “Or they can not get paid, and return to the NBA in March.”

As a member of FIBA, the NBA needs a letter of clearance from Chinese teams to allow players to sign NBA deals. Chinese teams could face forfeiture of any games that NBA players participated in, if the players somehow end up back in the NBA before the Chinese season ends.

“If they think that they're going to make things difficult, not play, create problems, what’s going to happen is that the teams will not release their letters of clearance they’ll need to sign in the NBA,” a Chinese Basketball Association official told Yahoo! Sports. “There’s no way out.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvHEAd5bZJ83caIv1xMoG4i8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_china_nba_players_112811

Reply #340811 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great post Anon, that is what I am talking about, China have them locked in and have spent a lot doing it. Stern would have to be concerned that these players actions may effect the leagues rising popularity and profile in China also.

Reply #340813 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow, a $1.2mill offer and he decided to sign for a similar amount in China? Strange decision, but still, it's his to make and he'll move on.

Reply #340815 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The difference is more than that isn't it. Mills' qualifying offer was for $1.2M, payable over twelve months, five months of which has already passed in free agency, with no end in sight at the time Mills signed in China (i.e $100k per month).

In China he is apparently being paid $1.5m to play for four months, and can play elsewhere at the end of March (i.e. $375k per month). That is a big pay difference.

Reply #340821 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I meant passed in lockout

Reply #340823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I suppose there are different factors, although a 66 game season should mean NBA players get most of their pay. Just had to be a little more patient.

Reply #340826 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Pretty sure that while the NBA contracts are paid over a 12 months period.
The players are only going to lose money based on the 16games that have been cut from next season.
Ie they will lose around 15%

But yeah Patty can play in China until March and then sign on with a NBA looking for a young PG to try out.

But if his team makes the China League finals he may miss out on the NBA this season.

Reply #340840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the word PLAY may be being overlooked here.....

Patty wasn't really PLAYING in Portland.... injuries to key players still only offered him limited minutes...

China comes along and offers him big money to actually PLAY....

March ain't too far away and if he keeps putting up good numbers in China there he may snare an offer or two from NBA clubs...

If he doesn't, then i'm sure he will find himself in Europe PLAYING and making some good coin.

Reply #341345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's assuming a lot. NBA teams dont exactly look at a minor league like China and think we have to sign that guy. Maybe it will work out well for Mills and maybe it wont. If he wanted to play and make himself a better player he should have stayed here. He is too young to be chasing money in crappy leagues.

Reply #341348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754