Big V Watch
Years ago

Big V: Geelong's 'Corio-Bay Stingrays' into SCM 20

From the Big V website today:

The Corio Bay Stingrays' application for Big V membership was officially accepted by the clubs at the Big V Annual General Meeting held on the 13th of November.

Furthermore, the Stingrays will jump straight into the deep end, competing in the State Championship competition after the club announced a string of quality signings that will be more than up to the challenge that the Big V’s premier division provides.

The biggest announced signing at this point is one Jason Reardon. The former Geelong Supercat and 2010 Big V Division One MVP will be donning the Stingray teal in 2012 after playing with Corio Bay in the Country Basketball League the last few years.

Joining Reardon will be his 2011 Geelong teammate Paul Hutchinson who is currently the player/coach of the CBL side and will provide veteran leadership and on court savvy.

Add in former SEABL players with Mildura and Geelong James Walker and Luke Osborne plus local star Mark Trevaskis and you have a team that is shaping up to be ultra competitive in it’s rookie Big V season.

Head Coach Dan Riches is excited about the upcoming challenge with the acceptance into Big V competition putting the Stingrays on the map.

"“In regards to our expectations this season, they are high.  We are not underestimating the level of this league but we are also not in this thing to make up the numbers", said Riches.

“With the list we have signed to date and the right import selection, we are aiming for a finals birth this year, a lofty ambition maybe- but were not participating... were competing”.

The Stingrays will certainly have to be ready to compete with players such as Ivan Platenik, Daniel Dillon & Jamal Brown dominating the State Championship competition last season. But with a strong pre-season put in place already, Corio Bay won’t look to be made silly- something the new head coach will simply not allow.

“Pre-season began last Thursday for our guys with the majority of our pre-Christmas program being conditioning.  The enthusiasm and commitment from our signed group has been excellent.  We have a few more pieces to add to our roster before Christmas and we will be casting our net far and wide to find the right additional guys”.

There is now a ready buzz down at Corio Bay with a true pathway for their juniors now forged.  The Stingrays is on the rise and will see it’s program grow and prosper before it’s very eyes. Playing it’s home games out of the Life. Be in it Sports Centre in front of a dedicated fan base, it’s going to be a bright future for the association.

“The excitement for 'Stingrays Basketball’ in the Greater Geelong Basketball region right now is amazing”, said Riches. "The Stingrays club is busting at the seams with excitement for the 2012 Big V season from our volunteers to our U12’s through to the seniors”.

Topic #26955 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big step to go striaght into the league but good luck to them i guess!

Wonder why Geelong just didn't step up from Div 1...is this due to the SEABL affiliation?

Reply #340870 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Corio to bring out two American imports.

Reply #340872 | Report this post

Sting What...  
Years ago

Corio-BAY, not Corio.
The Corio suburb is The "Elizabeth" of Geelong. Corio Bay is in the city.

Aparantly a former SEABL import is close on a deal with the stingers.

Reply #340873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong over the past two years have had the opportunity to step up but didnt. Good luck to the Stingrays, it will be a tough first step, but a brave one.

Reply #340874 | Report this post

Slapsgiving  
Years ago

Question: How many Stingrays juniors used to go to Supercats SEABL games prior to the merger between Supercats and the Geelong Association coupled with the Stingrays entering Big V Champ Men.... First glance would say alot... Not anymore. #wheredidourcrowdsgo

Reply #340892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best of luck to them with the 2 imports as we have seen at other Big V club if you don't get the right imports it can cause more issues than its worth especalliy if they are a start up.

Looking at the press relesae even without the imports they will be a solid mid-table team and as the only "Road Trip" in the SCM div they will have an advantage at home which should ensure a few wins.

Can't wait to see how Jason Reardon will go in SCM

Reply #340914 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some interesting moves across all of Big V, with a few other clubs stepping up into D1 Men such as Camberwell and Warrandyte.

Warrandyte are bringing back Tron Smith and have also secured Vashon Weaver from Big V Champ Premiers Waverley. Carmen Weaver also moves across to Warrandyte as the women look to score their first title after being bridesmaids a few times.

Warrandyte could be building for a crack at the Champ divisions as some stage in the next 1-2 years as well they way they are going...

Reply #340916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good that these clubs are promoting up the divisions, but i have one problem with it all, how is it going to be sustained when it's the junior ranks that are poor, Corio Bay's junior VJBL teams are almost non-existent these days. Warrandyte is building at least, but still relatively low in numbers and coach quality. And Camberwell are lucky to get a metro quality team out there half the time. The junior's have to improve for it to be sustainable.

Reply #340950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In respect of the junoirs you'll find a team like Warrandyte will start to feed off Eltham/Knox & Nunawading as they build the program & the same will happen in the senior team as well.

I think long term a couple the smaller clubs support the senior teams alot better in terms of the Big V type model as opposed to a few of the bigger clubs that don't give alot of support to the senior program at big V level (cough cough Eltham & Bulleen)

It wouldn't surprise me if these clubs in fact had to move down a Div or not compete at all if it wasn't for the work of 1 or 2 indivduals.

Also whispers tell me the one G.Lenard might end up at Warrandyte!!

Reply #340970 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

On the issue of Big V clubs it is interesting to note that Morningtons President is now assistant coach at Warrandyte and has taken the clubs best female player with him.Conflict of interest....he certainly doesnt think so.

Reply #340980 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Leonard in a Warrandyte uniform would make things interesting - he is the boys director of coaching there already...

Reply #340982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Way to pluck out Bulleen and eltham! Two clubs who have worked hard for over 40 years producing junior players yet because they don't poor the money made from the kids into senior basketball they are criticises.... Bit rough do you think?

It's easy for a small club to appear to be supporting a senior side more... It doesn't cost much to be in d1 or d2! You will also find both Bulleen and eltham were amongst the most competitive in state champ 2011.

Eltham won the women! Also got second in men! Bulleen competed very well in both comps also just missing playoffs!

Wrong clubs to be targeting my friend. Learn the strucutres and cultures of the clubs you discuss before taking potshots!

Reply #341004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic news for a relatively new club in the region. Only better for the basketballers in the area and an extra pathway to make the NBL.

Reply #341020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news Geelong Basketball, for too long the Geelong club has had that entire region to themselves.
Good luck to the new club, they already look ready for the ABA level that big V SCM is, will be keeping an eye on the stingrays.

Reply #341043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay's VJBL program is coming along nicely, with most age groups fielding two teams, the issue is alot of the better players have headed to geelong in the past few years because there was a pathway to senior rep,with the inclusion of the stingrays into big V, there is a high chance that their juniors will stay with them.

Reply #341192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If u look back over the last 5 years Eltham only really had 1 good season as they were wooden spooners in 2010 and have traditionally been in the bottom 3 previous to that!

So maybe you need to gave a good look at history!
Until last year it was well known Eltham despite the clubs size they aren't about seniors and more about juniors/domestic ball.

Reply #341235 | Report this post

BS  
Years ago

Good! Geelong are the most arrogant an unliked club by a mile. They take kids from our storm program every year without care to the ramifications.

The supercats have also smashed themselves long term in the region, they don't even represent all of Geelong anymore, they only represent the Geelong Association now.

What a horrible marketing move by the supercats club to merge with only one of the four major associations in the geelong .... talk about dividing your target market by 4!

The supercats went from being the elite program to 'just' another rep program. Not so tough to become a 'supercat' anymore... there are now over 100 of them from U12-U20 .... the supercats are imploding.

Reply #341561 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I sense some animosity from Bellarine towards Geelong...

As for the comment relating to Geelong having 'over 100 of them from U12-U20' - check out the larger associations...some boast around 400 kids in the boys alone! I'm pretty sure most of these Associations are pretty successful too...

Reply #341563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm thinking that Bellarine aren't happy, but maybe the players are skipping off due to the better coaching quality down at Geelong, haven't seen much Bellarine teams at all in the VJBL, but the ones i have seen have some poor coaches. All associations can be successful with some good quality coaches, no matter the size.

Reply #341576 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

There's about as much love between Corio Bay, Geelong and Bellarine as there is between the Crows and the Power.

Also, Geelong only has 9 boys teams, so there are now 90 extra supercats from 12-18's. But I get your point about the dilution of the brand.

Reply #341667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is fantastic for Geelong and the Big V!

Hopefully Bellarine Storm can get their stuff togther and enter. Would be good to see them maybe go D2 then every level of Big V gets some sort of representation in the Geelong area. Would be great for the to be able to do so.

They would easily be able to go D2M this year.

Hope the Stingrays do really well!

Reply #342439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bellarine really shold getoff their bums and go into Big V. They could easily run a a Div 2 program this year.

Everyone would love to see them compete.

Reply #342577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has Bellarine got out there to form a side into Big V? I thought they really died off once Allan McKee left there.

Reply #343393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have a few good juniors and would attract people in the area who would not be up to the standard or commitment of Seabl, Championship or D1. I reckon if they were to have try outs you would be surprisd how good of side they'd be ablle to put together. Obviously at D2 not D1 or above

Reply #343609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On good mail, I hear Bellarine are looking to enter Big V D2 next year.

Good Work BPBA.

Reply #350851 | Report this post

honest  
Years ago

I agree with comments regarding senior programs not being sustainable without Junior programs. Somebody has to do their research though as Warrandyte are really improving and I believe have more VC teams than they have ever had previously. Good on the Venom. However they're claiming they are not paying players... you have got to be kidding me, they are a stacked team!

In regards to Bellarine, I have been involved in the VJBL for quite some time and have never seen or played a Bellarine side... will they really be up to BigV level?

Reply #350864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point on the VJBL numbers, however when taking a closer look Bellarine have 10 VJBL team in this year, Corio Bay only have 11.

Looking further in to it the have more VJBL teams than Melbourne Uni, Pakenham, Chelsea, Keysborough and Melton. Other Big V programs like Craigiebuen and Coburg only have a few more teams.

You can not underestermate how much having a Big V program helps an association grow.

Good to hear they are gowing to have a crack!

Reply #351263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They ar going for D2 not Championship or D1 so dont compare them to Corio Bay.

Reply #351290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.surfcoasttimes.com.au/sport/othersport/2011/12/14/storming-to-success/

Some good foundations for the future

Reply #351291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on the storm going into Big V?

Reply #363622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754