Anonymous
Years ago

Smyth's new venture - AU College of Basketball

Just found this site. It seems to be the new venture for Valdermort/Breheney. Actually looks a like a good setup, a good structure in place. with lots of high profile athletes involved. However, I will be interested in the value for money of such a setup for participants as opposed to doing a sporting degree through a regular uni and playing in the NBL or ABL program.....

http://basketball.edu.au/

Topic #26958 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I modified the title - Phil's not as precious these days about use of his name on Hoops.

Talked with him a couple of months back and he mentioned this venture, though it was still in the planning stages at that point. The scheme was based on something being done in golf, actually, and it sounded like it was worth trying in basketball. Wish I could remember more because there were some good ideas behind their strategy.

Others who are more familiar with pathways within basketball might be able to offer more of a critique of this sort of opportunity. Practical or nice but of limited use?

Great photos on the site - makes the NBL look great. NBL site should take note.

Reply #340938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be good just depends on the cost as to if it will be feasible for many.

I think this is just more of a piss poor reflection of how bad basketball admin is in this country. There are some great coaches out there at local level, imagine if Basketball SA/Australia could team up with some Unis to get something going for players who want to stay around for ABL etc.

All the best to Phil for this venture but.

Reply #340939 | Report this post

reality check  
Years ago

so is it a 1 or 2 year full or part time diploma ?

college network will be interesting.

Reply #340940 | Report this post

Charon 18  
Years ago

2 Year diploma with a $40K hecs debt at the end for players who aren't good enough to be in NBL programs.

Will be interesting to see if some of these players graduate into NBL/WNBL teams over time.

Especially with all the players coming back from US Colleges.

Reply #340942 | Report this post

reality check  
Years ago

good on them and all the best.

some big aus basketball names involved - will bring a great network.

Reply #340943 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

So a student athlete finishes Year 12, has dreams to go on and play professionally, and is faced with a choice...

Go and pursue the great dream and experience the awesome lifestyle of US college ball, or

Go to Dandenong Stadium and be part of Phil's new venture.

I just can't see it being a success. It seems it would only appeal to second-tier players and below, who will not graduate into NBL/WNBL programs anyway.

Reply #340945 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it all basketball or does it set them up for other basketball related opportunities too?

There was a key advantage to the program that I can't remember - something to do with subsidies or funding?

Other than that, college in the US has always seemed like a good choice to me - study costs covered, good experience, etc. You'd probably only want to bet against that if you had good interest from NBL teams (Newley, Ingles, Maher, Creek, etc) or were really not academically inclined at all.

Reply #340946 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

agree completely with cat in the hat, it offers less appeal than a US college and takes away the fun and excitement of travelling away overseas. therefore will not be able to sustain success.

Reply #340962 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Good luck to Smyth in this venture, good to see him involved in basketball, this could be a good way for him to get in touch with the young players and develop them, something he was criticised about in his NBL coaching days,

i wonder if this will lead to him being back as a NBL coach, i would be happy to see it, he coached a great/entertaining style imo.

Reply #340976 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It would, like most tertiary establishments, provide government support for local students however I wonder if this venture has a business model that is also reliant on attracting 'students' from outside Australia.

Local students are not the cash cows for our tertiary educational establishments, never have been. Anyone in the know able to confirm if international students will be able to apply?

Reply #340990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good to see that the debt can be deferred with HELP (aka HECS) payments. Sport in our country is way too expensive for kids and parents, and ive seen so many talented young fellas give it up because they couldnt afford it.

150 bucks rego per annum plus 10-15 a game just to play club ball is insanity when you think guys in America the same age play for free...

And that's just basic club level, not taking into account rep commitments with travel requirements.

However I see this as similar to a university "pop music" or "creative writing" course: for people who don't have the talent to make it through the regular channels, and wont get any end result from the program.

Reply #341006 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

more avenues can only be a good thing i think.

if you look at afl and plenty of players who were never thought to be amazing prospects have gone on to have great careers. even if they miss the afl draft they have had other opportunities and come on surprisingly well.

could this give an opportunity to some who may miss out on a college scholarship?

Reply #341045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope that they know that if a player undertakes this program for two years, that the player will lose two years of college eligibility! Nothing worse than players AND programs being ill informed until it is too late.

Reply #341069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754