Phil
Years ago

Tigers, Breakers bad blood

Seems the tension between the Tigers and the Breakers has heightened following the revelation that Gary Wilkinson apparently vilified the Tigers' long time courtside announcer Wayne Peterson twice during the Tigers v breakers game in Melbourne on the 22nd of October.
The comments were in relation to Peterson's facial birthmark.

Topic #26959 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

and they were in response to the court side announcer making childish remarks about Boucher wearing blue shoes throughout the game, if he can't handle the what goes around coming back around maybe he should shut his mouth and concentrate on the game.

Breakers all day in this game, they only just lost last time and nothing was going down for them in that match.

Reply #340944 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Ahhh, so he said stuff about the colour of a guy's shoes, well he obviously deserves everything he gets.

Reply #340947 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

colour of shoes vs a permanent facial feature..... that is not a fair comeback! sounds a bit uncalled for and to me says a bit about his character!

Reply #340948 | Report this post

Natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm all for it teams hating other teams. Need some heated rival games!! Bring it!

Reply #340949 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree. A bit of spice is always nice.

Reply #340951 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I was at that game as a Tigers supporter and he did more than comment about coloured shoes. He does it every week! He is an absolute embarrassment and they should move him on.

I don't think he realises his job is to commentate the game, not make smart a*** remarks to players.

If he doesn't want people making personal comments/remarks to him, then perhaps he needs to keep his mouth shut!!

Reply #340952 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

someone get me a tissue for Mr Peterson, my distress levels are just rising too high... =(

Seriously love it when the word "vilification" comes out...

What goes around, comes around. Love it when people give it out but can't take it. Would love to count the number of times he has made reference to a player's body features in some way, shape or form to try and stir, distract or aggravate them?

Reply #340953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he just asked him if he had sauce on his face ;-)

Reply #340954 | Report this post

Little Zip Zip  
Years ago

Not only that, his name is Wayne.

Reply #340955 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably worth making sure the announcer isn't just stirring before giving him crap about this. Haven't read any articles about it, but I can imagine it's just a joint effort to make it a grudge match and get more fans along. I know the 36ers and other clubs have organised this sort of thing before.

Reply #340959 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Wilkinson said "No!"

Reply #340960 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

people in glass houses........

Reply #340963 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Issac, he is not stirring, he is plain nasty! I have sat behind him at a lot of games plus have friends in some NBL teams and I've heard him make comments about people's wives/girlfriends etc. as well as attacking people's appearance. I completely agree with some of the other posts, if he can't take it, then he shouldn't dish it out!

Reply #340964 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Why can't players grow a set and live with it.

They picked the wrong profession to get into if they can't handle subtle digging.

I see this arguement as like a child talking to their dad, but dad is an a**hole.

Son: Dad, your shoes are funny
Dad: YOU'RE ADOPTED AND UGLY!!!

Reply #340965 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I can see it all now. Gleeson with a rousing pre match speech. Come on chaps lets get this one. We need a much bigger effort that normal. Remember that Wilkinson had a dig at our court announcer's birthmark.

FFS who gives a shit. The only outcome of this was establishing what we already knew about two people.

Wilkinson = tool
Tigers announcer = tool

Reply #340967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion there is a massive difference between telling some one they are fat and slow or your GF sleeps around to commneting on a person's personal disfigurement.

DOnt get me wrong I think Petersen is a F-Head but Wilkinson stepped over the line.

Reply #340969 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Wouldnt have a problem if everyone kept their mouths shut in the first place. Court announcer shouldnt be giving players any crap in the first place.

Reply #340972 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The answer to this is to have clubs devise, sign, agree and commit to a code of conduct for all club officials. Would remove any grey areas and if the announcer then breaks the code, he is appropriately dealt with.

We all have similar incidents in our workplaces. The difference is, we usually have a code of behaviour or similar in place.

FWIW, I've heard the announcer's craft before and it's my opinion that he goes far too far (excuse the obvious Jon Blake joke). And yes, I'm following Blakey to MMM.

Reply #340975 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow game...

Reply #340981 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Double OT and the Breakers take it.
Huge game for Abercrombie 33points
Him and Vukona with double doubles, Vukona and Jackson fouled out as did Ubaka and Dorsey.
Great game

Reply #340983 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Was following on live stats and it looked like a great game. Looks like Triggers poor free throw shooting and a few "O" boards given up at crucial times near the end of the game and the 1st OT cost the Tigers a big road win.
Did Abercrombie go head to head with Dorsey as they both had huge games, Abercrombies was HUGER though.

Reply #340987 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Tigers shut down in the second overtime period.

Reply #340993 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Grow up! Its not that bad. why is it in society these days you cant say what we all are thinking. lets be honest the announcer would be well aware that he has something on his face assuming he owns a mirror at home. he is well aware of it, and im pretty certain they dont kid themselves and think because no one has said anything that only they can see it. fair enough if you have an illness or disease that is crossing the line but if its not going to kill you then have a teaspoon of cement and harden the fuck up. you dont hear susan boyle having a teary town moment everytime someone says she is ugly or looks like a mong. all this political correctness is a bit much.

in saying that im not saying give everyone shit. just saying if your someone that enjoys giving people shit then expect to take it in return otherwise shut up

Reply #341008 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

A lot of very soft foul calls in this game especially in the first half. Dillon used his speed to get to the rim and any Breakers player defending him picked up fouls no matter how hard they tried to avoid contact. Players didn't adjust and the calls kept coming resulting in Ubaka, Dorsey, Vukona, Jackson all fouling out and Trigger playing the OT periods with 4fouls.
Dorsey hit some huge 3's and Lucas Walker made a great impact off the bench including a huge athletic 2 handed throwdown.
With the departure of Penney, Abercrombie is seeing a lot more ball offensively and is stepping up consistently. His 3's are dropping and he's getting to the line along with some great defense (he had a couple of decent blocks).
He didn't force anything and put the effort in going after the ball resulting in 11 rebounds, 1 assist and 33points on 10/18 from the field including 6/9 3's. All the Breakers starting 5 made double figures, Vukona and Abercrombie had double doubles, Wilkinson was only 2 rebounds away from one himself and Jackson again showed his all round game with 10points, 8assists, 6rebounds, 2steals. He gets to the rim with ease and drew a lot of fouls but needs to finish more of these layup opportunities as they were extremely makeable shots with minimal contact but in some traffic.
Great game to watch apart from some of the soft calls, Gleeson's facials especially. Fans got quite a bit of basketball for their money and there were some great highlights.

Reply #341009 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Refs have really cracked down on hand and arm contact in the last 2 or 3 weeks, which is a very good thing.

Reply #341018 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Quite a few of the fouls were when the defender was running next to the offensive player tightly but not really banging but still hip riding with their hands in the air as the offensive player went for the layup, as there wasn't really any contact to effect the shot the offensive player gets a layup and the guy trying to pressure him into missing got a foul to rub salt into the wound.

Reply #341021 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

SRT070 hit the nail on the head.

Is that 4 consecutive losses for the Tigers?

Reply #341022 | Report this post

Axxee  
Years ago

Spot on SRT070!!

Reply #341031 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Maybe Gleeson's little list in his pocket which he seems to need to refer too during a time out only covers 4 quarters of ball.

He should try an overtime plan on the back.

Reply #341049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha loved above comment, that list seems so weird to me

Reply #341102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

New Zealand

• Thomas Abercrombie (19)
  • Gary Wilkinson (13)
  • Mika Vukona (11)
  • Leon Henry (6)
  • Cedric Jackson (4)
  • Daryl Corletto (3)
  • Dillon Boucher (3)
  • Alex Pledger (0)
  • Josh Bloxham (-2)
  • Benny Anthony (-7)

Melbourne
  • Ron Dorsey (2)
  • Liam Rush (-3)
  • Lucas Walker (-3)
  • Cameron Tragardh (-4)
  • Daniel Dillon (-5)
  • Ayinde Ubaka (-6)
  • Tim Lang (-8)
  • Benny Lewis (-8)
  • Tom Greer (-15)

Reply #341726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754