Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Study: ankle braces do (and don't) work

For the Friday afternoon medical crowd (and via the follow-worthy Erik Malinowski on Twitter):

Lace-up ankle braces reduce frequency (but not severity) of injuries in basketball players.

Topic #26962 | Report this topic

Years ago

i agree - lace up do help.

Reply #340968 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Don't think it's good for younger kids who are still growing as their ankles become weakened and reliant on the added support. Do certain clubs require players to wear ankle braces? I know for nationals some clubs require it, but wasn't sure if its required for the season??

Reply #340999 | Report this post

Years ago

correct

Reply #341001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is a young athletes ankles weaker than the normal persons' because they wear ankle braces? For example does a regular person who plays only schoolyard type sport have stronger ankles than a child who only wears braces when they play the sport competitively, yet does everything else without them? That doesn't make logical sense!

Does this mean 75% of the general population have weak ankles and athletes who play without braces have an extraordinary strength in their ankles??? Kidding aren't u?

I have heard this statement about "weak ankles" before and I don't buy it. If the kids are walking around in general life as every other kid does, then there ankles are getting the same strength development as anyone else I would have thought.

Just my view anyway

Reply #341003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insanity. No way should you wear them unless you have an injury or prior injury.

Reply #341005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Wear Ankle braces when playing or putting your ankles under risk!!! The argument about ankles being weak due to ankle braces may be slightly true... However, if you do a bad ankle injury your ankles will forever be weaker than if you had worn an ankle brace.

Reply #341011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My young bloke now in u23 been to aus camps, every state and national for last 6 years, has never worn ankle braces and never had an injury of any sort. Not suggesting anything just saying.

Reply #341012 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I've played competitive ball for 20 yrs and NEVER had any injuries but recently I destroyed my ankle driving to the hoop, jumping off of two feet and coming down on someones foot. Completely tore two ligaments on the outside, crushed one ligament on the inside and ruptured tendons on the top, toes and achilles requiring a full recon with arthroscopy. To the poster above it does happen mate one minute your running flat out the next 12 weeks your on crutches and out of pocket $6000.
My surgeon said he recommends braces on ankles saying if I was wearing them I still wouldve sprained it not destroyed it. When I'm fit to play next year I will obviously wear a brace/strap on my bad foot but I'll also brace my good foot knowing how easy it can go bad.
Each to their own I just wanted to tell my version

Reply #341026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEa I agree. That's the thing with ankles. You have no control over landing over someones foot. To say I've never had sprain doesn't mean much because you can easily suddenly get one and then if its a bad one its a good chance its curtains on any high level basketball career you may have had. The windows too small.

Reply #341039 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

Is it possible that if you "anchor" the ankles with braces then you could make your knees more vulnerable to injury. There has been quite a few knee recons that i know of in the girls comp.....and all wore ankle brace. Is there a feasible correlation?

Reply #341042 | Report this post

Playing basketball with ankle braces is like having sex wearing a condom. It's not going to prevent an accident 100% of the time, but it damn well helps.

Reply #341273 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We had to wear them throughout my college career, injury or not. Ive never had ankle issues, but did both ACL's. I think you should wear them when you get 16 +

Reply #802080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right. That's the thing about ankles. Landing over someone's foot is out of your control. Even though I have never sprained my ankle, that doesn't mean much because you can easily get one and if it's a bad one, your career as a high level player may be over. The windows are too small.

Reply #862242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here are some best basketball shoes for ankle support
https://basketballonpoint.com/best-basketball-shoes-for-ankle-support/

Reply #862243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754