Jay
Years ago

Pick your Boomers 2012 team

Yes... I want to hear if anyones revised there boomers team for 2012... at the moment, aaron bruce is one inclusion i might make. and kazzouh

Topic #26980 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

mills
Bruce
D.martin
Newely
Ingles
Wortho
Bogut
Nielson
Maric
Baynes
Barlow
Gibson

n

Reply #341207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut
Andersen
Neilsen
Worthington
Ingles
Newley
Mills
Maric
Gibson
Lisch
Dellavadova
Baynes

Reply #341209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when did lisch become an aussie and how about kyle irving

Reply #341210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah lish aint aussie nor do i like his game much

Reply #341219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch will be an aussie before the olympics..

Reply #341220 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd pick Lisch for the team and I'd be working on Ivring.

Reply #341221 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd pick Lisch for the team and I'd be working on Ivring.

Reply #341222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i picked lisch hoping he'd be cleared before the olympics...

Irving if cleared would come in for Gibson

The only toss up would be taking out Barlow and adding Crawford - they REALLY need is 3pt shooting

Reply #341225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just realised i didnt have Barlow in - scrap both of them then! Lisch is the guy that could bring a consistent 3pt shot to the team

Reply #341226 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

I'd definitely have Barlow over Crawford

Reply #341233 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

surely khazzou would make the cut

Reply #341236 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

To pick from:

Andrew BOGUT
Aron BAYNES
Aleks MARIC
AJ OGILVY
Julian KHAZZOUH
Luke NEVILL
Luke SCHENSCHER

Matthew NIELSEN
David ANDERSEN
Nathan JAWAI
Daniel KICKERT
Alex LOUGHTON

Mark WORTHINGTON
David BARLOW
Joe INGLES
Brad NEWLEY
Daniel DILLON

Patty MILLS
Steven MARKOVIC
Damien MARTIN
Adam GIBSON
Aaron BRUCE
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA

Hard to narrow down more than this I reckon at this point:

BOGUT
NIELSEN
BARLOW
INGLES
MILLS
MARIC
BAYNES
ANDERSEN
MARKOVIC

I have tenatively selected 9 - still 3 to go...

Bogut and Mills pick themselves whilst Baynes has been starring in Greece, with Markovic and Andersen playing solidly in Europe. Nielsen has returned from injury and is the glue that keeps the team together. Barlow has been strong of late. Ingles and Maric have not been receiving quality minutes in Europe get a gig based on capability and the fact they are on two of Europe's best teams. Khazzouh could be the lone NBL 4/5 man to make the team at this stage but may be fighting Jawai for a spot who has been inconsistent and battling injury in Europe.

The guards are tough to pick as nobody stands out. Even the 3-spot is a bit of a concern IMO. Newley who I would normally put up there was battling form before his injury and is still not back yet. Bruce has given himself a shot but I’m not convinced. It’s hard to gauge Delly because he plays in college and is not pro yet. Dillon for mine could be the smokey in the field for a guard spot.

Always a good discussion!!!

Reply #341239 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Bogut
Neilson
Ingles
Newley
Mills

Maric
Baynes
Worthington
Barlow
Lisch

Khazzouh
Martin/Markovic

For mine, Andersen has never performed anywhere near international standard. Sure he has had a great career in Europe there is no denying, but for the Boomers he hasnt done much. I think you could replace him as a stretch big with Khazzouh, but play young guns Maric/Baynes those minutes instead.

The Crawford debate is hotly discussed and fair enough. Ive watched every televised Crocs game this year and apart from some streaky hot shooting I think he doesnt have much else. Looks a bit loose with the ball which I am not sure translates to Boomer level.

I think we can all agree on at least having Bogut, Newley, Ingles and Mills being locks in the starting group (if they maintain form/fitness).

Im not keen on Bruce. He is a walking turnover machine. Saw it at Adelaide and have seen enough of the coverage in Sydney to confirm this. He can push tempo and will make the pass but too often its too close for comfort, and against well drilled defensive units with long arms I see him getting more TOs than assists.

I think with any team, you select the best players at each position, who are fit and firing. If this means we are short on 3pt shooting or whatever, than its up to the coaching staff to highlight the strengths and play to them. Id rather have 12 real deserving players that are the best of what is available, than bring in a 3pt shooting type that is easy to scout and may be a defensive liability.

Thats all my thoughts, IMHO.
Cant wait to see what the team will be and how they go at the Olympics, very optimistic despite the tough level of competition out there at the moment.

Reply #341243 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

C Bogut/Maric
PF Andersen/Nielsen
SF Ingles/Worthington/Barlow
SG Newley/Gibson
PG Mills/Dellavadova/Martin

I haven't included Irving or Lisch until we actually see them become eligible. If Irving decides to play and gets the clearance start him at the point and move Mills to the bench where I think he will be more effective. Cut Martin.

If/When Lisch becomes an Aussie I think its crucial to have him in the team. Obviously he'd come off the bench but I think he's a better option than Gibson and perhaps Barlow. His elite 3 point shooting should alone see him get some minutes. As for who is cut, Gibson's the more composed of the two but I think Barlow's size and athleticism offers more at the international level. Cut Gibson

The potential addition of Irving and Lisch I believe puts us in the hunt for a medal. The team above, if healthy I think has the write balance of talent, speed, composure and grunt to really make some noise. Lisch's three point shooting and Irving's ability to start and allow Mill's to be released off the bench is critical to our medal chances.

Reply #341245 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

One of Australia's problems is that we give up 2-3 inches to the opposition at the smaller positions, on top of the lack of athleticism. Can’t afford to have Gibson or Martin on the team. That’s cut and dry to me - don’t know why no one else sees it.

And what’s happened to Nathan Jawai? Has he just corpulently exploded into Vin Baker over in Europe? Guy had a legitimate intimidation factor that the Boomers lack before his confidence retracted and body expanded in his failed NBA stints.

Also, why is Cameron Tragardh never in Boomers contention? The current Boomers squad and fringe players lack go-to scoring punch, and Trigger is a nice big legitimate target down low with great, soft hands who can created his own shot. Reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph now he has realised his potential.

Kazzouh is an option. Another big with soft hands. Needs to attack HARDER to get it done internationally though.

David Anderson has never impressed me in the Boomers or the NBA. No post moves whatsoever. Cannot score at the rim. While I’ve never seen him in Euroleague play, and understand he has an esteemed pedigree there, I can’t stand big men who can’t rebound and who play exclusively outside the key. Also I don’t trust men who shave their legs, arms and armpits. Seriously dude WTF. You have to wonder whether he would be better for the team than Kazzouh or Trigger.

AJ Ogilvy is too soft. Don’t let him near my country’s team.

Peter Crawford has emerged as the best shooter in the country, and has returned to his former slashing ways. He has little to no athleticism left and his age is a question mark. Still, the SG spot is the biggest question mark for me.

Locks for me:

Maric
Bogut
Mills (Phenomenal talent, bad PG skills. Needs to get in line. Hopefully Bogut will reel him in. 7/25 shooting nights with no assists should not be tolerated. He has a litany of great finishers on this team and he needs to find them more often in their sweet spots. Lots of the guys on this team can’t create their own shot but are good finishers, someone needs to find them and it hasn’t been Mills in the past.)
Nielsen
Newley
Ingles
Barlow

Then next in line:
Jawai (conditional: based purely on form & shape closer to the date. You can’t teach big and this guy is big. Could be a real X factor if his head and body are OK)
Lisch (if available – and conditional on whether he can learn PG. Not a 2 at the international level.)

Everything else should be open tryout. Bogut or none, I’d be very disappointed with some of the games we dropped in that last tourney, and asses should be on the line.

The way I see it, we really need to take some risks and quit playing it safe. Safe has got us losing a game to ANGOLA (!!!). Unacceptable no matter who was unavailable for selection. Take a flyer on a volatile young athlete who can run and jump with the big boys rather than have Damian Martin on the end of your bench unable to even take the floor because he's too slow and short.

Reply #341247 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I agree AK - obviously my assumption is that Lisch gets the green light and we miss out on Kyrie.

If both play we will have a solid team for sure.

Reply #341249 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

We would need Irving to be a top 4 contender.

C Bogut/Maric/Kazzough
PF Nielsen/Andersen
SF Ingles/Worthington
SG Newley/Barlow/Drimic
PG Irving/Mills/

They always take a youngster so I pick Drimic as he appears to be the next star SG for Australia, which we REALLY need to compete for a medal. You can't play 12 players anyway so give Drimic some more experience.

You could play Mills and Irving together if you play a zone D and want to run and gun, with Ingles, Neilsen and Bogut.

Reply #341251 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bruce was speeding along , last nite , some of the bounce passes were a little too low to bend down and get it. Some a little too good. A lot were three quarters of the court. Probably better Boomers players would like this.

Reply #341254 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Camel 31: like I said with all the finishers on the Boomers, we really need a pure PG to set them up.

Mills did show towards the end of his NBL stint that he is starting to learn some PG skills, and I hope he carries that on to next year.

With Newley, Ingles, Barlow, Bogut, Maric, Wortho, et al, Mills is hurting the team whenever he gets less than 8 or so assists, don't care how many points he scores. Plenty of good finishers on that squad just gotta get them the ball.

Reply #341265 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Well said Mick.

Good PG play and a good system is crucial for getting the best out of our group.

Reply #341275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles.. pfft!

Reply #341281 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

can people please stop using adam gibsons name in the same sentence as australian boomers team 2012.

Reply #341284 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

peter crawford will be the last man cut(only just)

Reply #341285 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What Skull said.

Reply #341286 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bruce*
Mills
Lisch*

Ingles
Newley
Barlow

Nielsen
Wortho
Maric

Bogut
Jawai
Trigger* or Kazzouh*

That's about as close as i can pick for now. * denotes "question mark" player.

Reply #341289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: Kyrie Irving (IF willing), Patrick Mills, Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Brad Newley, Peter Crawford
SF: David Barlow, Joe Ingles
PF: Matthew Nielsen, David Andersen, Nathan Jawai
C: Andrew Bogut, Aleks Maric

Replace Irving with Lisch IF he chooses to be an American and providing
Lisch is naturalized. IF not, we are battling.
Crawford is my 12th man, we will spend time with two PG's on court as well as Ingles and Barlow going through the big guard spot. Very little time for Crawford.

Jawai is an X-factor with size and the ability to dominate so he gets a gig providing he is in shape and willing to give everything.

Reply #341307 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Gibbo is a lock for me. irving and Lisch or not.

Some of you guys are real fickle when it comes to Bruce. A couple months ago you were all making fun of the fact that he had ever been a Boomer in the first place.

Reply #341308 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Seriously....how can Gibbo be a lock?? Totally over rated. Does not have anywhere near the skills to play at international level.

If Gibbo can make the team......Daniel Joyce can make the team!!

Reply #341310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take AK-47's team, but swap Gibbo for Drmic. Don't need to play all 12 and better to take a shooter who will be a future boomer starter than an average NBL role player. Australia needs to play more youth like the euro teams

Reply #341314 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bogut
Nielsen
Barlow
Mills
Martin

Maric
Worthington
Newley
Ingles
Dellavedova
Andersen
Crawford/Lisch

Reply #341318 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would include Dillon, has good length, great handles and amazing speed to get to the rim.

Reply #341338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

id take kazzouh before anderson... im not sure if andersons ever done anything in a boomers team

Reply #341430 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I am one of Aaron Bruce's biggest fans ever since his first season at Baylor, however, I feel we have better options than him at the point.

Anon '314,

I'm absolutely not against the inclusion of Drmic. Gotta prepare the kids somehow and there aren't any better ways to do so other than experience, especially considering its the twelvth spot which would generally be a DNP unless Marty Clarke was coaching ;)

I really hope Crawford doesn't make it. As referred to earlier, a relatively inconsistent shooter who doesn't really offer too much more, especially at international level.

X,

I hear you RE Gibson being a lock. Seems to be one of those cool and composed guys. Doesn't appear to do alot but works hard defensively, can knock the open 3, hustles well and doesn't do alot wrong. However, if Lisch or Irving are included in the team this could be the end for him.

Khazzouh shouldn't make it unless Andersen is unavailable. I like the inclusion of a big who can spread the floor and score in multiple ways. Gives our offence variation and different avenues to score. Obviously he's soft and isn't nearly tough enough on D but in place of Andersen I think he could compliment Bogut's post game and Baynes/Maric's banging/post up game.

Reply #341438 | Report this post

bootleg87  
Years ago

Bogut/Maric
Nielsen/Anderson
Newley/Barlow
Ingles/Dellavedova/lisch
Irving/Mills

with the last spot going to a big man maybe jawai, Baynes or Worthington something like that

obviously a few things have to go are way with irving deciding and being aloud to play for us as well as lisch being naturalized

Reply #341774 | Report this post

grant  
Years ago

the problem i have with most of these teams picked here is the lack of youth and not enough athleticism.
i don't watch much nbl but khazzou dominates there and has to be a boomer. cam tragargh should also. both these two would be great off the bench.
irving isn't playing for the aussies but id start mills, ingles, nielsen, jawai, bogut. khazzou and tragargh, newely, lisch, and maybe maric off the bench.
with jawai, the coaching staff need him back here with a boot camp style fitness to get in shape. he's probably 290 to 300 pounds now and needs to get to 260

Reply #353154 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754