KB3
Years ago

Has Gordie lost his magic touch

Hawks are now bottom of the ladder.

Has Grodie lost the mojo that saw him create art out of cast offs?

Glover played 7 minutes v the Crocs. He is the replacement for the guard they sent home before the season. The midas touch of picking gun imports may be waning....

Topic #26984 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Tough to be tough on a coach like Gordie after half a season. Sitting bottom, but had big leads over Tigers, Kings and now Crocs, if theyd held on for those like they really shouldve in atleast 2/3, its a different season. Basketball is a tough game, momentum can lose you certainties and create miracle wins too. As far as picking unknown star imports id still take his opinion as gold over many other coaches and so called scouts.

Reply #341237 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No. Sav and Campbell are both ancient rotting corpses. Glover is useless, and Catron has a great touch around the rim but is overweight.

You've got Tim Coenraad but he's more of a robotic type.

They don't have much of a team, they're doing ok IMO to lose by 1 against the Crocs away.

Reply #341240 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hawks are finally achieving where they were expected to achieve.

It's hard to defy the odds every year..

Reply #341241 | Report this post

Hopscotch 38  
Years ago

With a good roster eg Gold Coast, gordie would be doing way better. He is one of the best coaches in the league as he gets the best out of his players.

Reply #341244 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Hawks have turned into a team of 20 minute players. What needs to happen is to cut 4 guys and replace them with 2 guys. Hawks need to shed sav and campbells salaries and replace the two imports with 35 minute players.

Reply #341250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gordie is a great coach that has done some great things with some ordinary sides... no real suprise they are not succeeding imo with the talent they have

Reply #341252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't get lucky with imports every year, especially on their budget.

They were a shot off a road win which isn't too bad, just a hotly contested league this year where every win is going to count.

Reply #341272 | Report this post

Silverchair  
Years ago

I really think he has lost the faith of his players and some of his subbing patterns on the weekend were awful.
Catron has shown he can be a very solid import at NBL level and has a real X factor when you let him off the leash (go back to the Kings game a month ago) yet on the weekend he didnt start and then came in for two minutes and was taken straight out again. He went on a hot stretch in the third (11pts) and isn't out of shape - might carry a few extra KG's than most but thats his body type - tell me a 4/5 man that can stay in front of him on the perimeter.

Glover isnt up to the standard but even guys like Davidson (who has been injured) and Forman aren't performing like they did last year and Tim Coenraad has stagnated which I put down to the confidence that is being expressed from the coach.

Rhys Martin is a solid back up PG in the league and is the first person Geordie tears into time and time again so I think it is time to turn the playing roster upside down (Sav and Campbell have been fantastic but its time to go) and look at some other coaching avenues to go with it - Al Westover would be a good one.

If you were running an expansion club tomorrow who of their players would you actually go out and chase...

2 Tyson Demos (possibly 9-10 man)

7 Oscar Forman (yes)

9 Daniel Jackson (no way)

10 Larry Davidson (a year ago maybe, now not a chance)

12 Glen Saville (game has past him)

13 Rhys Martin (If I couldnt get another back up PG)

22 Tim Coenraad (yes - very versitile as 8th man)

32 Mat Campbell (game has past him)

34 Joevan Catron (I like the big fella so would explore it, would depend on team make up)

42 Dave Gruber (not a chance)

Reply #341274 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Silverchair, Matty Knight drew 2 charges from him in Perth so there is one.

Reply #341276 | Report this post

Silverchair  
Years ago

He had a tough night in Perth, was on the start of his slide and in the dog house with McLeod

Reply #341277 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaches like players to stick to the team plan when they're supposed to. Maybe Catron doesn't? (Just guessing - no inside word or anything.)

You forgot Glover in your yes/no list.

Reply #341287 | Report this post

Silverchair  
Years ago

Based on my comments saying he isn't up to scratch I thought that would be self explanitory on Glover.

Looked like a prospect in his first game when he played 5 mins in junk time but no good and anyone who wears 3 sweatbands on one arm... LOL I'll pass!

Reply #341291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fair enough.

I think people underestimate the impact of their self-salary-cap. Really puts them behind the eight ball. Gordie does well to keep them competitive IMO. I reckon he'd be hesitant to shift on two import points in a season and admit defeat. They also probably can't afford to chop and change too rashly.

I reckon Saville has a year or so left in him, but maybe this could be the last for Campbell unless he really wants to keep going. I would shift both imports and go for PG and SG next year. Coenraad I am up in the air on.

Import/Martin
Import/Demos
Saville/Coenraad
Forman/?
Davidson/Gruber

Reply #341292 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I would much rather have Coenraad start now ahead of Saville. Coenraad deserves more minutes and while Saville is trying,he should be a benchie now.

Davidson just seems to have lost his confidence and game overnight.

Glover looks like he is a 15 year kid who spends more time putting on arm/leg/head bands than he does on the court.

Rhys Martin dribbles the ball too much aimlessly.

Forman has been inconsistent.

Gruber looked to be back to good form and then got injured.

Campbell should have retired two years ago but it getting minutes as a reward for saving the team.

Catron has shown he has game.

CJ Massingale would have given them a consistent scorer.

Reply #341306 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

*Awkward silence*

Reply #341311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coenraad over Saville!?

Reply #341325 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Saville has done nothing this season - still gets big minutes but cannot say he has has a great game. Coenraad has had a few very good games - especially when you look at minutes.

Anyone got their season stats and minutes comparison between Sav and Conraad. Think that would be interesting.

Reply #341327 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Definately Coenraad over Saville.

22 Coenraad, Timothy 10 20.9m 53.8% 41.7% 95.2% 1.4 3.2 4.6rbs 0.7 2.6 0.3 0.4 0.6 9.2ppg

18 Saville, Glen 10 26.6 45.5% 21.1% 81.3% 1.3 5.0 6.3rb 2.2 2.3 0.7 0.5 2.5 5.5ppg

Stats show Coenraad definately doing more in less time than Sav. Need to develop the younger players as well. Sav 5.5ppg in nearly 27 minutes??? Delaney could probably get you that, not that scoring is the be all/end all.

Reply #341328 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Replace Glover with Ervin & they are top 4 again! Like Isaac said u can't get lucky every year with imports. Sav & Campbell are near the end but are still more than capable. Imports are the worry...

Reply #341343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Campbell and Saville should be playing less. Larry Davidson should be getting waaaaaay more shots. They are pretty disorganised at the moment. Gordie is struggling to fond the answers.

Reply #341349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

dud, Saville is there first and foremost for his defense.

Anon, is he really struggling seriously though? They just lost on the buzzer, on the road, without any replacement for Gruber. They had tiny Glover up against an ex-NBA import. They definitely need to win more and might be missing key pieces (e.g., stronger PG to start ahead of Martin on the bench), but I don't know if that's the coach struggling as much as it is difficulties getting the right pieces with a smaller budget. Last year they unearthed the league MVP. This year, they didn't.

Reply #341368 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Gordie is struggling a bit. Trying to run things the same as previous years but with a different balance of skills.

Not that they are in dire straights, but some subtle changes are needed.

Reply #341374 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I know Saville is a good defensive player, but I just think its time to start Coenraad instead (develop him as he is a middle age player). Sav can still play decent minutes, but just off the bench. The team seems to lack a dominant scorer (Catron and Martin are the two leading scorers!). Coenraad seems to be able to put points on the board quickly.

Campbell and Sav - at least one should be coming off the bench.

Reply #341422 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Agreed Dud!!

Reply #341427 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree they need a go-to scorer, and they don't have one at this point, but I am not quite convinced by Coenraad. And doubly so in replacing someone like Saville who brings intangible qualities. Next year though, I think one of the vets needs to go to the bench or retire (in the case of Campbell). Not because they're useless, but more so because they need a stronger succession plan than Demos, Coenraad and Jackson.

Reply #341429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

missing the go to scorer - a certain ex nz import coming back from injury could be a good pickup >

Reply #341459 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

He is only struggling because he hasn't got the horses. Sav's rapid decline as a scorer/creator and Davo's funk added to the loss of last seasons MVP are impossible to overcome. Martin and Coenraad are the only two key members of the team who are playing close to the level that you might expect from them. No $$$ and no rabbit out of the hat import and the results are expected. In fact the Hawks could have squeezed another win or two out and with their personel in a very tough league you would have to then say that Gordie was doing pretty well.

Reply #341465 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sav's lack of creation is a huge loss, but Davidson simply isnt being given the chance to score.

The starting line-up should be Davidson, Forman, Saville, Glover and Martin. The two PGs because the last two years Sav was like another PG, and this offence needs two creators to get the shooters open.

Coenraad definitely needs more minutes, and they should spend a bit of time with Davidson, Saville, Coenraad, Demos and Martin. Sav will be able to create a bit more from the PF spot, and can defend most of the oppo PFs.

Reply #341466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'459, they could've tried for Braswell, Blalock, etc and IMO should've. Blalock isn't going to be exciting, but was proven. Braswell wouldn't solve every problem, but again, at least you know what you're getting.

I would also argue that Homicide (who I don't love) would be worth rolling the dice with. Screw challenging for the title right now, just pick someone who'll make the news, keep them competitive and at least create team fireworks.

Reply #341511 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I agree Homicide would be great at the Hawks. Blalock would give them a solid (but not great) point guard.

Braswell would be a mistake.

Reply #341552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glover is a bit of a mistake. At least Braswell would be a taller and more capable mistake. ;)

Reply #341560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How about they actually play Glover and get him to penetrate and kick, instead of the other guys (not named Rhys) passing the ball around the perimeter before jacking up a three?

Let him sink or swim, against the Crocs he was just sitting on the beach watching while the team desperately needed some speed.

Reply #341571 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

What about John Gilchrist for the Hawks. He would play cheap to prove himself, would certainly be no worse than what they have now.

Reply #341579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might as well try. Can certainly throw him in the deep end this weekend with Martin back for Perth.

That passing around for the three isn't too bad an idea given some of their percentages:

Forman: 50.3%
Campbell: 44.4%
Coenraad: 41.7%
Demos: 40.0%
Martin: 38.5%

Still, might as well mix things up with Coenraad and Glover and see if they can do any better.

Reply #341580 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

True, but against Townsville they shot a lot of contested threes. A little more playmaking to create open shots and they probably would have won the game. They just have huge patches this year where they dont look like scoring (4 mins to start the second half v Crocs without a score), and Gordie needs to mix things up a bit because teams have spent a lot of time figuring out how to defend his offences.

Reply #341582 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Rhys Martin does so much so well but will never be the piece to a starting 5 in a c/ship. It's a shame cos he's not far off. I like his game! Braswell would have been a good choice but stop talking uo all those cut 36ers imports - that's embarassing!!

Reply #341646 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Then again anyone who leaves Martys program seems to blossom! Not a bad idea afterall...

Reply #341673 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, have you seen Brad Hill's numbers over the last six games? (Including during Cairns' good run of form where his minutes have been cut back?) He's shot 10/35 from the field, and 0/10 3P.

Holmes' stats are not dissimilar to 2008 (averages) or 2007 (percentages). Crocs just had no one else besides Mims. Vanderjagt and Allen are not strong alternatives.

NBL's career season boxes are an absolute mess right now, so I can't compare numbers for Dowdell.

Johnson is definitely on the up under Marty - even an MVP candidate with Centrebet.

Reply #341697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gilchrist, Braswell, Blalock would all be good options. As said, can't really do worse. But they just can't afford to make any more changes.

What frustrates me is that these will be the final years of Saville in the NBL and they would ideally capitalise on that as a club, whether he's scoring or not.

Reply #341698 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac stats don't always tell the full story. Holmes took some massive rebounds against Gongers that were crucial. Hill seems to be lacking confidence right now but Fearne is sticking with him. I'm confident he'll come good!
I'm just stating that Clarke seems a bit of a strong headed sort of coach who hasn't yet backed anything up.
These guys are not that bad...

Reply #341756 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754