alan
Years ago

Marty Clarke VS Perth Wildcats

Well done sixers on your win last night, very frustrating as a cats fan we have lost to you guys twice at home when you were at the bottom of the ladder, but here are some stats that will shake your head.

Since taking over at the Sixers, Marty Clarke has a record of 12-25 losses. A very frustrating stats for is 5 of his 12 wins have come against Perth. Since taking over the Sixers, adelaide have won just 4 road games out of a possible 18, 3 of those road wins have come in Perth, the other was late last year a close win at the Gold Coast.

What does this say, I really cannot work it out, its hard to explain really

Topic #26990 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Remember your assistant coach Radford from a while back?

Reply #341324 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

haha exactly isaac

Reply #341326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont but that, Gleeson coached Townsville for 5 years and he couldnt beat them a few weeks back.

Reply #341330 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I thought it was a Radford thing too,
then I recalled Ninnis also winning in Perth when he could not get a win here.

Reply #341331 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

SO, if people are saying that it is the Radford factor, then does that suggest that Radford may have more input than Clarke and thus be a better coach????

Reply #341340 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He seems to have something over the Wildcats - whatever it is? I'm sure Radford is a factor! Lucky for Clarke however as imagine his record without it!!

Reply #341342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12 - I think it mostly suggests inside insight having worked directly with the Wildcats and their key players?

In the days of Smyth and Breheny, Breheny was considered by pretty much everyone to be the brains and strategy of the operation, while Smyth was the public face and mouthpiece, etc. You'll remember how during timeouts they used to have a quick conference before Phil went in to speak with the players. I remember something about Breheny calling the subs too, but this might not be uncommon amongst teams as the assistant is usually nearer the players on the bench?

Reply #341356 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

If a particular player had a blind spot defensively for instance, Radford should know.

Also you would think he would know what type of offences for instance their coach would use when he would re-act to say as an example a particular junk zone defence....

both types of info provide a huge advantage particularly in player attitudes heading into the game, because they feel that they know someone that their opponents dont.

Reply #341364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The exchange of assistant coaches happens all the time in other sports.

In the NBL each team knows and understands every other team inside out (they should if they're doing their job).

I think Marty has Bevo's number - they coached together for a long time. Involvement with the Junior Australian program in 2003, etc...

Reply #341365 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Marty was Beverage's assistant the year the emus won the world champs.
This would be probably more significant than Radfords input I would think.
Beverage's style would be inprinted in Marty as he soaked it in while being his assistant at a stage early on his career.
Maybe that combined with Radfords input on Beverages new tricks makes some impact.

Reply #341369 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, I'd put it more to the fact that we're rebounding from home losses each time we go to Perth.

That; and despite any amount of training and coaching advise, players can still be over-confident and blinded when playing a lower placed team.

Reply #341373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo thinks the 36ers play harder against them than they do against anyone else. Maybe if they had that effort every week they wouldn't be where they are on the ladder.

Reply #341385 | Report this post

Forcey  
Years ago

On tv before game 1 Clarke went on about "how you know what you're getting when you play with perth, there's not much scouting" etc, then we got absolutely dismantled by their press. How do you not prepare to play against a press when you play Perth? Where was Radford then?

I don't buy it

Reply #341728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That assumes that they didn't prepare for a press, which I think is a poor assumption.

If you don't buy it, the only option left that I can see is that they only perform when their backs are against the wall.

Reply #341735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754