Silverchair
Years ago

NBL Imports - Where they at?

As we have now given each of the imports (who were here from the start) long enough to aclimitise themselves to our shores, who is cutting it and who would be packing their backs if clubs had the budget.

When you see the Sports Visa paperwork, the charter of an import is to enhance his/her given trade ensuring that opportunities aren't stripped for locals but I think we have one of the weakest import pools in the history of the competition.

Imports in no particular order -

Adris Deleon - A great get but would like to see him relax as he has been forcing shots the last couple games since his POTW award.

Chris Warren - Still adapting to the pro game but given time and patience could be real nice. Jumper is a little patchy at this stage but lightning quick.

Kevin Lisch - Grown and matured over his journey here and a player who will be in Perth for many years to come.

Jamar Wilson - Not sold on him as his jumper is awful and the other night tried to win the game against the Kings but just isn't good enough to do so.

Eddie Gill - Solid but leading the league in turnovers and aside from the game V Tigers, there is better out there.

Andrew Warren - Fresh out of college but up and down like a yo-yo. Unless the 'pans' are going to keep him next year seems like a pointless exercise in keeping him for the remainder of the season.

Ayinde Ubaka - Chewy has excelled with a genuine system similar to that of the Taipans. Hope he stays out here for years to come and settles in Melbourne.

Cedric Jackson - Leading the league in assists and steals within a team that is winning, just fitted in and would love to see him on a team like Cairns where he would be focal point.

Showron Glover- Showtime... Peace out.

Diamon Simpson - Fantastic get and has shown why he was on the GS Warriors Summer League squad. Leading league in FG%

Joevan Catron - Mentioned yesterday but could really be the sleeper in the second half of the year if Geordie lets him go as the Hawks slide down the standings with Sav and MC playing 30 mins a night.

Elvin Mims - Wouldnt be making much $$$ and is solid but much better out there for your buck. Only here because of Woolpert.

Jerai Grant - Young and growing each week, if the Kings had a coach with any understanding of the game he could be a real asset. Interesting to hear Carfino mention this on Sunday.

Gary Wilkinson - Very versitile with inside/outside capabilities and solid as a rock. Top five in league FG%.

Ron Dorsey - Took the back seat while Mills was in town and may be sent packing if the Tigers cannot get another Aussie to balance their roster.

Will Hudson - Hard worker but surely Petrie and Hoare could provide what he has shown in additional mins and allow another Aussie an opportunity.

Kevin Ratzsch - Really out of his depth, Kings are probably keeping him so they can get Bose and Magden their mins while playing Bruce some time at the 2.

Topic #26991 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Jackson, Simpson, Grant. In that order, are the best 3 imports from the new crop this season.

Wilkinson, Lisch and Ubaka are still outstanding from the past few seasons and hopefully can be secured indefinately in this league. Naturally you hope the respective clubs they are with keep a hold of them, but in the worst case; make sure they have a home in the NBL for a long time.

Dorsey, Deleon, A.Warren and Ratzsch are in that Yo-Yo category for me, of being decent players but just not being consistent.

Everyone will say that Dorsey is a good player and his finals performance last year should demonstrate his value; but honestly, I think he needs to be far more aggressive and drive more. I've seen too many games where he jacks up 3's from some stupid locations.

Reply #341375 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dorsey is averaging 15+ PPG over his last five games. Deleon is also doing fine.

I think A Warren, Ratzsch and Catron are the yo-yos. Glover probably lucky to hold a spot.

C Warren has gaps in his game, but is a good enough shooter. I'd consider him for next season, but it'd depend on what was around.

Simpson is great and I would be putting an offer to him now to lock him in, almost to the detriment of any other contract on the roster.

Reply #341382 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If I were to rank them:
Jackson Best allround player.
Lisch Has really stepped up this year.
Simpson If he could shoot free throws, he'd be number 1.
Wilkinson Still a very reliable scorer.
Wilson Has been close to the best in the last month.
Warren Brilliant offensively, terrible defensively.
Grant Does a lot more than his stats suggest.
Deleon Very flashy, but can break down any defense.
Ubaka Didn't do much with Mills in the side. Will be much higher when the season is over.
Gill Very experienced leader. Not great offensively, but has his moments.
Dorsey Needs to do more, but can break a game open if he gets going.
Catron Lacks in polish, but a big body that can score inside.
Mims More of a complimentary import. Does a lot of things well, but doesn't have that game winning ability those above have.
Hudson Started well but has lost his groove with Petrie back in the side.
Warren Ridiculously inconsistent. Has been pretty good the last month though.
Ratzsch Had 1 good game against us, can't see him lasting the season.
Glover Must have been cheap. He hardly plays and doesn't do anything.

Reply #341383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

short, sharp and to the point Hendo!

Reply #341387 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can only comment on the few I've seen:

Jamar Wilson - Quick, but weak and undersized, flops a lot, ugly jumper. His game depends on whether the refs are falling for his flops. Can get to the rim but has trouble finishing over contact. Has improved as the season has progressed.
Andrew Warren – Has the game of an aged 2 guard (think Michael Finley for the Spurs) – camps, camps, and camps some more. Does nothing else.

Gill – Vocal leader, great at coming up with a bucket or a foul out of nothing. Needs to get teammates involved more early on. Dribbles too much (resulting in turnovers). Huge ego which needs to be kept in check constantly. Forces the issue and ends up with egg on his face too often. Has to be careful not get sucked into every single "PG Duel" because with all the quality 1s in this league at the moment, it’s going to hurt his team.
Mims – a complimentary player – great stealer, ridiculous length. Needs to look to attack more and not rely so much on his sweet jumper. Can probably outjump anyone in the NBL straight up and down, but doesn’t use it enough other than to elevate for his jumper or for tip in dunks. Look for him to play a bigger part now the NBL has publicly conceded he has been treated a little harshly by the officials.

Showron Glover – as useless as he sounds
Jaevon Catron – fat, but quick with a great touch around the basket. Legitimate frontcourt scorer with a variety of moves and soft hands. Great footwork, but travels a lot. And, yeah, he’s fat.

Adris Deleon – tiny and weak like Wilson, but finds a way to score. Forces the issue a little. Decent passer especially for a guy with a streetball background.
Other GC import – useless

Reply #341388 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall , from 3 games on TV at the weekend
late at nite that Mims was the best. Subbed out, of course and Catron was good with Mims on the bench.
Grant is good to watch and Ratzch struggling badly.
Others only moderate. Would've been good to see Simpson and whether he'll be POTW.
Well, we learned Lisch to naturalise.

Reply #341390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Elvin Mims and Eddie Gill's impact for Townsville are heavily underated.

Elvin Mims is a glass eater who appears to be terrific defensively.

Eddie Gill from what i've seen is a extension of the coach on the court, terrific leadership, it's obvious that he had quite a NBA career behind him in his younger days.

And i do like Andrew Warren from Cairns, but i agree, terribly inconsistent, much like Mark Tyndale from a few years back.

Reply #341400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Simpson can improve hes free throw he will be the complete package I believe, he goes to the line so much yet I cant help but cringe when he shoots.

I think Wilkinson is not playing anywhere near as good as what he did last season.

Lisch was on fire the first few weeks but has been not so busy the past week or two.

I think Dorsey and Chewey will work fine together again after there unsettled start to the season having Mills.

Reply #341401 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I disagree with the proposition that this is 'one of the weakest import pools in the history of the competition'.

I have been highly impressed by the standard of import play this season, which I think is the best crop of imports we have seen out here for a number of years.

Reply #341402 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

gee grant is exciting to watch isnt he. i hope they work with him and he can grow and doesnt stale and rely on that athleticism forever. but wow, love watching him, has some energy about him. i actually think this has been a very good year for imports, while some havent worked out there are a few who could stick around for many years.

how much are the gong suffering for not having someone of " damn forgot his name but you know him" calibre. that pg import they had. damn mental blank.

wilkinson is a great shooter. seems pretty vanilla for a guy with some bulk though.

Reply #341404 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

ervin

Reply #341416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All-Import team would be
G: Cedric Jackson G: Kevin Lisch F: Diamon Simpson F: Jerai Grant F: Gary Wilkinson

Jackson is an elite pick-pocket and has length and smarts
Lisch is the perfect complimentary import. Can score, defend, pass.
Simpson is coming on strong with his post scoring, boards and defense.
Grant is far better than his stats. A highlight machine and young.
Wilkinson can shoot from anywhere and is solid on the block.

Reply #341417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't be too critical of deleon only played 4 games and is still finding his feet - got a bit caught in the moment in cairns which is easy to do
but he has put up some pretty amazing numbers against some legit teams - his test is this week against nz

grant is great and is getting better with each game

Catron is not fat just has that barkley kind of a body and just needs to see a few more touches in the post to be great

simpson is legit for adelaide and will only improve

Hudson does a lot off the ball for the gc and is consistant and would score more on another team
but fills his role nicely

Jackson and wilkinson is prob the best import combo going for nz both putting up great stats

A warren does some good things on d and playes hard
his shots will fall soon enough

wilson also does a good job on d and gets in the lane

dorsey prob the wrong option for melb as they need a 4 man (ira clarke type)

gill tends to force it too much and mims will come good once schench gets going

Reply #341420 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I agree Grant has a great upside but for an import???

If imports didn't average 20ppg a few years back they would be gone in a second.

Have we now become an import nursery for young pro's who develop their game and then leave?

Tyndale must be spewing he din't come a couple of years later

Reply #341423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the game dropping to 40 min and the aussie talent improving the days of a 20ppg import are long gone

Reply #341436 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Tyndale was crap! Used to wear his shorts higher than Schensher too.

Reply #341475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyndale wasn't crap just wasn't the right fit. Been far worse imports to play in the NBL than him and dont forget after the Sixers released him he went on to do an NBA pre-season with Milwaukee.

13ppg, 6.6rpg, 3.9apg, 1.8spg, 3.1tpg
43% fg, 32% 3p, 61% ft in 08/09 with the 36ers.

Reply #341478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He had some moments and some talent, but some of his decisions and fumbles were so bad. He wasnt ready to be a pro import at that stage, and didnt really set the world on fire in Germany either. Wonder if he's still playing?

Reply #341488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did a preseason with the Bucks two years ago so doubt that would be telling him to chuck it in!

Last I heard he was playing in the D-League.

Reply #341575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have to admit, never thought id see the day where most imports are just complimentary players. I remember stumbling across an old mad magazine a few days ago, that was dated in 1997.. and it had a skit basicly satirising how much better the american players were to the tall, stiff and unco Australians in the NBL. Times really have changed... more often then not when we talk about the stars of the league... there young Australians. As for the comment of Australia becomming a developing ground for imports... well tyhats kind of true... in some ways its the best we can hope for, we got to hope for people who dont quite make the NBA, and maybe dont want to live in russia in the cold with a language barrier... and they a;so have to not be huge fams of money either. I would say we have been fairly lucky with some of the imports we have been lucky enough to have over the years. what I will say is 2011 season is one of the less remarkable years for Imports.. Solid role players is what they all are and most should see the year out (unlike in past years) but really not alot of wet your pants over. as for Lish, really.. i mean I see that he does achieve on the court, and on that merit he deserves to be here.. however, why doesnt any team try to force him right? he has no right hand as far as ive seen and I think he could be easily contained. Everyone is so glad hes naturalising and a chance for the boomers... i wonder why because hes nithing we dont already have? am I missing something here? pretty certain I would take adam ballinger or sean redhage in my boomers team anytime before lish but then again maybe i havent been watching him closely enough..

Reply #342059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754