Who Me!
Years ago

Ron Howard - NBA Call Up

Just read this on RealGM. I know it doesn't mean he will make it at all, as it is only a camp invite, but going on his form for 36ers last year, they must be real short on practice bodies at the moment!

"The Bucks have invited Ron Howard to their training camp.

Howard (6'5?, 200, SG) spent part of four seasons with the D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants, in addition to stints in Mexico, Israel, Venezuela, and Australia. He played collegiately at Valparaiso after transferring from Marquette.

Howard went to training camp with the Bucks in 2008 and Knicks in 2009. Since then, he has improved his shooting range and added a three-point shot to his game. He is 29 years old.

Below is a clip of Howard from 2010, a year in which he appeared in the D-League All-Star Game while averaging 20.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game."

Topic #26999 | Report this topic

dud  
Years ago

He probably was a very good player, but did not get a chance to shine in Adelaide.

Bruce and Holmes are different players now too after leaving.

Reply #341503 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I think Ron won't be too bad.

He wasn't given the best opportunities here in Adelaide to show his best. The coach made him look terrible.

Reply #341517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Holmes isn't a different player, he's just gone from sharing a frontcourt with major scorers to playing for a team that lost their starting frontcourt to two fairly major injuries. He has put up numbers with Adelaide, then with South, then with Adelaide again, with Sturt, etc. Alongside Ballinger and Johnson though, he was playing more of a support and distribute role.

Reply #341524 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Id argue holmes has developed a very nice consistent mid range jump shot. He did not have that in Adelaide (at least not consistently).

Johnson barely got more than half a game last season.

Reply #341537 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

dud, I dont think he has developed a mid range jump shot. I think he just has "more confidence" to shoot in Townsville than he did here in Adelaide?

Reply #341566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

something in the back of my head seems to recall he was on the bucks squad before at one point.

Reply #341569 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, yep:

Howard went to training camp with the Bucks in 2008...

Tornado, he's not a confidence player, he's just playing a different role. In Adelaide, it made sense for the priority shots to go to Ballinger and other positions. I remember countless posts on here asking Holmes not to shoot anymore, just rebound and pass.

Reply #341577 | Report this post

Forcey  
Years ago

Howard can play, remember how he scored 20 off the plane in his first game. Struggled under Clarke and then got hurt. Would only ever be a 9th-12th man though.

Reply #341588 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

given the 1 on 1 nature of the NBA and the bigger courts he will do OK. I think people dont realise how different the NBL is to the NBA.
He was open alot when with the sixers but not utilised as others have said.

He nearly got picked up last time, it was between him and another player and the other guy got picked as they needed coverage for that particular position

Reply #341607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every player that gets cut from NBA training camps says they were the last player cut when 99% of the time it's bullshit.

Reply #341609 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

andrew bogut said it though.

Reply #341616 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke didn't like him . Not a good atmosphere out there. I swear Lareesha Howard did look great.
After getting cut from the Bucks 2010 , he should've gone to the Knicks , instead of here.

Reply #341634 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Having seen a few vids of Howard and having seen him here I do think he is better than he was allowed to be with the 36ers.

Last year our offense revolved so much around Balls that often guys like Howard were left open on the wings but never received a pass because the guards were looking inside. In some games he played for us he must have felt like he'd gone to his high school prom without a date.....lonely. In saying that he didn't do much to help his cause either, he didn't create much on O and often relied on open shot passes that never seemed to come. Then of course he got injured and was released.

Either way I hope he does well with the Bucks, whether he gains a contract or not.

Reply #341659 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was weird last year, because with Balls at centre he should be outside, opening up space by drawing bigger centres out, yet he seemed to be used a lot in the post?

Reply #341674 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754