Big V Player Invite, Stingrays Basketball in Geelong

BIG V CHAMPIONSHIP MEN, SEASON 2012

*NOTE: CONFIDENTIALITY IS ASSURED TO ALL PLAYERS.
ONLY SUCCESSFULLY SIGNED PLAYER DETAILS ARE RELEASED IN THIS PROCESS.

"Stingrays Basketball Geelong" are keen to receive expressions of interest (EOI) from players for the 2012 Big V State Championship Men season. This recruitment campaign targets the nations top state leagues including QLD's QBL, WA's SBL, SA's ABA, NSW Warratah League and the Tasmanian State League.

The Stingrays program has the City of Geelong abuzz with basketball excitement for its 2012 campaign.

The club is seeking to fill the 3 or 4 remaining positions on the team that already boast some dynamic players such as Jason Reardon, Paul Hutchison & James Walker in addition to the Import signing being announced prior to Christmas.
The club is prepared to offer employment opportunities, housing, potentially interstate travel costs and more for the right applicants.

The remaining positions to be filled are:

• Guard (combo, able to play the 1 & 2)
• Power Forward
• Small Forward

The club is also interested in seeking players who may not yet be recognised at this level yet but feel they could perform at this level in the right environment.

Players with aspirations of playing at the highest level are encouraged to contact Head Coach Dan Riches directly on ph.0413.844.652 or email [email protected] to arrange a confidential meeting and workout.

For further details:
Find us on Facebook, search "Corio Bay Basketball"
Visit us online @ www.coriobaybasketball.com

Topic #27001 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Any hints on your possible import.Did he play SEABL last year????

Reply #341594 | Report this post

@Happy Days: No, our import short list does not include former SEABL players.

Reply #341595 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good luck with your import.There are plenty to choose from out there but you have to do your due diligence.Speak to coaches,check for injuries and off court infractions, if they've played oversea's what leagues and for how long etc etc. Dont be afraid to look in NCAA D2 as there are some very good players down there that are easily overlooked. If your going to use an agent who is reputable look at Warren Sports International. He has a very good track record in Australia and doesnt only recruit quality players but also quality people.Also look at players percentages rather than there ppg.Just a little bit of advice from being in the import game.

Reply #341603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how it says 'Players with aspirations of playing at the highest level'. I thought this was the Big V?

Reply #341610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting process.. enter BigV champinoship then go find a team.. wrong way around maybe? What happens if you only recruit a team capable of competing at Div 2 level?

Reply #341620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris warren the agent is your man, go on Euro basket. I have used him several times has a good fell for aus hoops.

Reply #341625 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The line 'Players with aspirations of playing at the highest level' obviously means for playing in the lower Big V levels (Div 1, Div 2)that feel they could make it at State Championship level...

Reply #341629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay away from the pretender agents in Australia, not the big boys the little ones that next to no clients they have no clues and are so desperate to be an agent they will tell you anything.

Reply #341630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I spoke with an agent a few years back and all he wanted to do was tell me he worked for Nike in the states he knows this person and that person, new nothing, tosser!!!

Reply #341639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing agianst the Stingrays, great to see them get into Big V but doesnt this make a mockery of the league? Shouldnt entry to State Championship be earnt via winning lower Divs first?? I know BigV is the peoples league but its getting more and more of a level field season after season.
It looks like they should just combine all Divs and just have conferences if they arent going to keep State champ div elite and something to earn the right to compete in.

Reply #341643 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

combining the conferences and playing everyone would be a fantastic idea. I'm sure Waverley and Pakenham would have incredibly close games together.

Reply #341652 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

@ 620, how can you recruit a team without being in the league first? What do you say to potential players, "Sign with us, we might be in the comp. Or we may not, we don't know yet?"

These 3 spots round out the squad, I wouldn't really call that finding a team.

Reply #341665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow they are chasing 3 more players!!!

If they are paying positions you'd think they mst be key players they are chasing down so surely you'd have the core of your team locked away before you enter into the Big V Champ Div.

Sounds like its going to be a tough year unless they find themseleves a gun or two!

Reply #341679 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

JV Coach, if you accept anon #341643's proposition, then you don't enter a league at the top level and recruit, you enter at the lower level and get promoted, which should mean you don't need to recruit, just achieve with your own talent.

And it's not three spots is it? Reardon came from Geelong and there is an an import so that's five.

Reply #341681 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry, six, just read about Hutchison who has also played with Geelong I think.

Reply #341682 | Report this post

Keith  
Years ago

It should be noted that in Corio Bays application they were applying for D1 only. It was only after receiving their list that Big V promoted them to Championship, fair enough cos they would have dominated D1, no doubt.
From this recruitment campaign they Are clearly looking at providing opportunity to players outside of Geelong, what's wrong with that, there isn't a lot of major talent in Geelong these days.

Reply #341685 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So they provided a list to the BigV, but are now recruiting six players? So how did the league decide without those six players they should be in championship?

Reply #341687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recruiting over the top of their own juniors?

Reply #341688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@HO, correct me if im wrong, but hasnt Reardon been playing for Corio Bay in the CBL for the last two years? As for Hutchison, I think he is coaching that CBL team as well?

I dont really see what the problem here is? They are looking for THREE players. While you do have a point about being promoted straight to Championship, can you blame an association for aiming for the top?

Reply #341690 | Report this post

GOGGLES  
Years ago

Knowing the Big V agree with Keith Corio Bay would have been pretty strong in previous years in Div 1 as it was a weak league the last few years. But this year with Warrandyte coming up with Weaver, Smith and Leonard maybe coming in, Sth Pen having Kevin Smith, Camberwell having a very strong front line, they wouldn't have dominated like you are suggesting unless their import is great. They have 2 - 3 solid players at the moment and Reardon is a gun but need more then this. A positive for them is that Champ men looks a bit weaker this coming season.

Reply #341694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@JV coach; Why would you enter Big V unless you already have a group of players keen/ready to go? It seems like they're putting the horse before the cart. Maybe enter a Youth league program to start off then grow your senior program out of your juniors rather then recruit/buy it in.....
Equally why are Big V assessing the standard of your squad before its even ready? you're still recruiting most key positions!

Reply #341729 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Keith, correct. We applied for Division 1 and it was Big V who pushed for us to enter into Championship.

@729, my understanding is you must have a Senior (Champ-Div 3) team before you can have a youth league team. We looked at entering a YL team in 2012 as well but on recommendation from the league it will be in 2013. This is in addition to current CBL team which has a 23 and under look to it already. So by 2013 the program will have 3 senior mens teams which will more than cater for our juniors progressing through the ranks.

To those questioning whether we should have put the team together (in its whole) before entering, I'd raise the example of the Supercats, who are yet to announce any signings whatsoever, whereas we have announced (with more to come) 6 players who have represented our club before at senior and/or junior level with an import to come before Christmas.

Reply #341742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@JV, no problems, im not really having a go at your aspirations, i think its great to want to be involved, i just think BigV need to allow you to crawl before running.. Forcing you into Champ is counter productive to the growth and heath of your program, and removes some of the prestige for other clubs to aspire to get promoted up the ranks as a reward.

Reply #341745 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

No problems mate, hopefully we can have a good season on the floor and make the decision a good one.

Reply #341746 | Report this post

GOGGLES  
Years ago

Must have missed out on import they were chasing as have signed Eric Williams who played at Nunawading last year. He is a solid complete player will be a tough match up in this league!

Reply #344159 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Williams will tear the Big V apart.

I did hear he was shopping himself around to Big V clubs

Reply #344172 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

At the time of this posting, Williams wasn't on the market. As soon as he was, definately first choice. Extremely happy with the signing.

Reply #344243 | Report this post

GOGGLES  
Years ago

Apparently at the spectres last year a lot of players had trouble getting paid maybe this is why he was shopping himself around!

Reply #344249 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

From what I've heard Nunawading spent up big last year but wasn't able to replicate the spending this year. Hence Williams availability.

Can't comment on whether players were paid last season or not

Reply #344376 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Williams is a very good signing.3rd leading scorer in Finland at the moment.He will tear up Big V.Nunawading has a reputation for being late payers.

Reply #344509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754