Anonymous
Years ago

Player Turnover in the NBL

With the amount of players graduating College, and now the AIS wanting players to stay in Aus rather than go to college, should the NBL Clubs be made to make room on their roster's every year so that these players have an opportunity to get onto a roster?

Similar to the AFL has mandatory number of de listings? We obviously can't do it on a scale that the AFL does, say 1 to 2 spots created each year be realistic?

I'm talking Australian players, not Imports?

What other ways does everyone out there have of making sure we can get young talent into the NBL

Topic #27058 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Points cap, U24 rule.

With new teams coming into the league, there will be more spots available.

Reply #342627 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm not sure I liked the u24 rule. I think it forces some (not all) teams to just arbitrarily fill it up with a guy with no potential, which is bad for the league and australian basketball. If a guy is good enough he should be on the roster proper. Don't like the points cap either. Why should the league rate how good a guy is on a scale of 1 to 10? The ratings are flawed.

Then moreover, because of this points system comes the competitive parity that's happening now. It's actually bad for the league. Because every team has a chance to win every game, they don't want to risk having a young guy on the floor for too long. That's why it's important to have a food chain: young clubs lose games, but develop young talent and slowly improve over time

Police the salary cap and associated "benefits" a player recieves at each club, let the market dictate his value, lose the points system, and let the young guys play.

Reply #342645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have a pretty even league with the points cap in place. Sometimes the numbers are slightly off, but I don't think it's ineffective.

Reply #342651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We must be one of the few leagues in the world to have a points system like ours.

Reply #342660 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But Isaac, as i mentioned above, with the points cap keeping tight competitive parity, I feel like you don't get those bottom dwellers that can afford to lose a few games in the name of developing talent like you have in the AFL or NBA. It's a double edged sword and I think the pros and cons need to be looked at a little more closely - it's not as cut & dry as "the competition is tight therefore it's great for the league".

Just my two cents.

Reply #342668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, could be. NRL have considered a points cap at least twice.

Mick, I think younger players are still getting a pretty decent run and I think that's partly as a result of the points cap. Adelaide are young, Perth have played Purser, Trueman and Hire recently. Walker at Melbourne is young. NZ have Bloxham, Prewster, Anthony, Abercrombie, Pledger and (previously) Webster.

Without a points cap, new teams coming into the league may struggle to recruit.

Reply #342682 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like the points cap. It helps to keep teams somewhat honest even if they are cheating the salary cap which still ensures a competitive and predominantly even competition. I think it does allow development of young talent and also rewards it. If you bring in a kid from college and he sticks with the ball club he and the club get rewarded with a discounted points value which not only means they can spend more points elsewhere but they retain the identity of the team for fans.

Reply #342867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754