Anonymous
Years ago

Dallas Mavs for repeat?

These signings by Dallas are starting to make their team even more stacked than last season. They probably need an upgrade at the C position, but at the moment they are looking pretty nicely.

Brendan Haywood
Dirk Nowitzki
Shawn Marion/Lamar Odom (either one will start)
Rudy Fernandez/Vince Carter (either one will start)
Jason Kidd

Rodrigue Beaubois, Corey Brewer, Brian Cardinal, Nique Jones, Ian Mahinmi, Andy Rautins, Jason Terry, and potential laden Brandon Wright. This is some stacked team being put together.

Topic #27065 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

wont win if Carter is playing

Reply #342753 | Report this post

Shaqfu  
Years ago

Mavs signed Delonte West as well

Reply #342754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why sign carter for 18million
players like

gilbert arenas
tracy mcgrady 900,000
stephen jackson
baron davis

cheaper and more usefull

Reply #342755 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure they only signed him for 3m, phoenix declined his option and they picked him up

Reply #342756 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If they win, watch every veteran in their last few years try to make a dash their next season for a ring.

Reply #342766 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't think they'll repeat. They will go deep, but they have lost something that over the years has probably cost them an additional ring or two. The defensive big man that guards the rim.

Tyson Chandler was a great addition for them last season, and really helped them defensively, he's gone and they haven't replaced him. I think they'll make the WC Finals, before getting bundled out.

Carter was a strange move.

Reply #342778 | Report this post

Shaqfu  
Years ago

They'll look to trade Fernandez. Probably for a big. They're stacked at the Shooting Guard spot

Reply #342787 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

T-Mac signed with the Atlanta Hawks.

Reply #342795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Mavs fan, not that happy with some of the moves they have made.

Last season taught them that chemistry and defence (along with a super-duper star, Dirk) wins you a championship. The signings so far have totally gone against the grain of that. Carter/West are two locker room headcases, who are traditionally not winners and Odom wont protect the rim like Chandler.

They have also flipped Rudy F and Brewer for the same flavour chips they lost in the Odom trade. Those two would be much more serviceable than Carter/West and are better chemistry guys.

I think they need to trade for a defensive centre and possibly another point guard seeing they have lost JJ (although they do 'get' Roddy B back).

Reply #342840 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Hawks signed T-Mac....

I'm a Hawks fan and that made me laugh.

Reply #342861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above-

Delonte West is their new PG, and is a proven winner. Rudy Fernandez is a chemistry nightmare as seen in Portland last season. Lamar Odom wasn't brought in to protect the rim like Chandler. Vince Carter is at that stage in his career where he has/wants a ring, so he'll knuckle down.

Reply #342863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Delonte won? He sucked for the Celts last year and he is a head case.

Where is the talk of Rudy being a bit of trouble? I always saw him and Patty being the first two off the bench, jumping around, crowd loved him etc.

As for the Odom comment, was merely stating that he basically replaced Chandler. And if they dont get another C, I can see them running with a Dirk/Odom frontline, which would not be ideal.

With Carter, I have seen him go to too many teams and suck the life out of them, NJ, Orlando, Phx etc. Hopefully you are right, he is at that age where I would like to see him settle down, accept a role and win.

I guess can see why these signings occured, but I really loved last years team, great chemistry, everyone knew their role, played D the way it should be played, led by a star. What im saying is it seems like they are going away from a winning formula, but hey, im just a kid on the other side of the world complaining on a forum!!

Reply #342882 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah they will be a weird team this season.
Worse on D but much better on Offense and more versatile.

They are planning for next off-season, which is a bit strange when you are defending a title.

But if they amnesty Haywood next season they will have roughly $20-25mil in cap space and will make a run at Deron Williams and D Howard.
Pretty risky move as they will be a pretty old team if they can't sign any young guns next off-season.

But I think Cuban is a risk taker and shooting for the moon. Triple Ds in Dallas in 2012-2013 :)

Reply #342888 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No team is winning in the playoffs with Vince Carter.

Baaaad signing.

It's a shame that the CBA made Cuban blow up such a fun team to watch. Chandler, Jet & Dirk were the heart of that team. So you've lost 1/3 of your motor.

Reply #342899 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I believe that Delonte West won Lebron's mum in a game of horse......

Reply #342966 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Where has jj barea gone? I'd have him in a flash!!

Reply #342996 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

JJ went to the T-Wolves for $16mil over 4 years!!!
Excellent backup PG, but has his good and bad points depending on matchups.

He should be a good leader for a young T-Wolves team.

Reply #343014 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

JJ will only fit on the Mavs. They had such a versatile lineup that they could hide him defensively. Not saying he didn't do them a whole deal of good, but I can't see him having as positive a contribution on another team. He should have stayed, for his own career's sake, for less money. It's the best situation for him.

Any other team he will just have a glaring minus in the +/- column all season long.

Reply #343029 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Kind of agree with you.

But T-Wolves have a pretty versatile squad as well.

Rubio is 6'4" so JJ and he can play together against some matchups.

Plus they will be playing alot of zone since most of their players are bad at Defence :)
So they can hide JJ on a wing in a 3-2 zone

Reply #343039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754