Isaac
Years ago

NBL statement on new teams

"The NBL Commission has received applications for an NBL license from two new clubs, one based in Brisbane and a second Melbourne-based team," said Sengstock. “The Commission met last night to review the applications.

“The Commission has asked NBL management to validate some of the detailed information contained in the applications before we can make a determination as to whether either bid group has satisfied the requirements to be issued an NBL license. Expansion of the league is a strategic priority however it remains imperative that it is achieved in a measured and considered way. It is imperative any expansion is sustainable for the long term and we will undertake all necessary steps to ensure as a Commission we deliver that.

“The Commission hopes to be able to make a final determination on the applications early in the New Year once that verification process has been completed.”

Topic #27078 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

So judging on that statement neither group as is, is ready to enter the competition... Hardly a good start.

Reply #343070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

anon, having them validate some info doesn't necessarily mean they're ill-prepared, just means they might need to clarify things or ask for a bit more detail.

Reply #343072 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Fair enough- I know the Melbourne group will be surprised as they were saying that yesterday would be the final rubber stamp on their bid.

Reply #343074 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

who is the melbourne group?

Reply #343078 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with this.

As I've mentioned here before, sustainable long-term growth is the key.

Just hope Sengstock knows what he's doing because I'm yet to see any evidence of this...

Reply #343080 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Looks like due diligence to me - something that may have helped when the NBL approved the sale of the Sydney licence to Tim Johnstone of Firepower infamy.

Reply #343085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

take the bris one & set a match to it. there -- verified !!!!!!!

Reply #343091 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm pleased with the way the NBL has handled this...due diligence in the past could have saved the league from some embarassing situations in the past.

Reply #343093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sale of the licence to Johnston was predicated on him paying CA$H for it. Which he did.
He spent Millions of CA$h on the Kings most people wouldnt know that.
His persoanl cash reserves were not a bottomless pit, hence the difficulties he had later on in paying the bills. The reason they folded.

Reply #343094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Didnt the 'cash' he paid come from people investing in his 'technology' that didnt actually exist?

Reply #343097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not really fussed about the cash or how much he personally spent, he was running an absolutely blatant scam and those ponzis never last.

Reply #343100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the NBL cared about was the cash. The only reason he got the licence.

Reply #343101 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

For which the NBL has hopefully learned a very valuable lesson - which is why some due dilligence now is promising.

Reply #343119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They certainly learnt a lesson from the Johnson fiasco. Last I heard was that despite the NBL wanting desperately to have Brisbane back in and the major reason then was it was the 3rd largest TV audience (my how thats change in some regards), they had no financial interest let alone anyone thinking about putting in any money into an NBL franchise. I wonder what if any has changed.

Reply #343134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

na, nobody wanted to sink money into a set up that reeks of bs thats what. 2 groups of hot air both claiming they put in bids for bris but theres only 1. cmon doesnt take a mensa applicant to see the options the nbl went with are rotten eggs chasing saviour status & not much more. both moronic groups that remain of those left-- just the dregs left now sheezus

Reply #343147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754