Jason
Years ago

Is the NBL rigged?

I'm not sure if many people here make bets, but I find it strange that a team that has a victory over another team, and they have a rematch, could possibly be 10 point underdogs in the next match.

For example, tonight Cairns are playing New Zealand. Cairns won the last time they played, yet they are underdogs by around 10 points.

The tigers were 2nd on the ladder a few weeks ago and playing the 1 win 6 loss 36ers, yet they were betting underdogs.

The Hawks are playing adelaide(who they beat before) yet again, are underdogs this time..what gives,seriously?

Topic #27097 | Report this topic

Jason  
Years ago

Ok Just Checked the game score..funnily enough, Cairns are getting whooped... seriously, how are you supposed to predict a team would lose by so much over a team that they previously beat?

Reply #343251 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

because they have years of experience predicting games. Also they throw other factors in such as form, if its a home game or not, any injuries etc etc The bookies more often then not have it right

Reply #343253 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

They do their home work. It's their job. They (the good ones) check every single factor, match ups, match up history, injuries, previous games leading up to the current match, players streak history etc etc.

But to answer your question, I dont think the league is big enough to be rigged. The NBA on the other hand..

Reply #343255 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Yeah James I see your point about home court and injuries and things, but I did do some research when the betting lines came out and i've attempted to do some tonight and have found no bad news on either Cairns or the Gong who previously beat the opponents they are facing tonight. I thought if there was anything major there would at least be some articles about it.

anyway thanks for the reply

Reply #343256 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Nat, you think the nba is rigged? i'd better steer clear of that then...

Reply #343258 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ were tipped to win by so much because they only lost by 2 in the last game with a lot of calls going against them and that was also on the road. They have also won 4 in a row and this game was at home. I had them to win by 9 but Corletto killed them from outside and the Breakers dominated the glass again. NZ's depth and bench contributions also give confidence.

Reply #343275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks also got killed by the Cats last game and were this time on the road. Sixers were an easy bet tonight, just wish I'd bet more.

Reply #343296 | Report this post

Chance  
Years ago

If you work out how they rig the games (& or racing) please call me.
PS- Nathan Bock never called me either

Reply #343304 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I don't think the NBA is rigged, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was as it generates so much money

Reply #343314 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks the nbl or nba is rigged is as dumb as those idiots that think 911 in new York was a conspiracy.

Reply #343462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way they rig most pro games is through refs

Reply #343473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bookies also follow the money - the amount bet on a team will determine the odds.... If something is too long, and people start loading up on it, the odds will come down.

The thing about the NBL is that there is not always heaps of money making it onto games, and so sometimes something a bit long can stay that way.

The thing about other sports is that they have a fair bit of time to invest in making sure their starting odds are fairly accurate in the first place. With the NBL, a lot of bookies have no idea, and routinely get them wrong.

Reply #343556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'556 is correct. The OP is miles off track.

Reply #343576 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great call Mick!

Reply #343580 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if the NBL is rigged then why did the Breakers win last season lol

Reply #343586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Checkout the last few minutes of game 2 of the final between NZ and the Cats!

An obvious travel by Redhage not called, among some dubious turnovers by NZ and in the end the Breakers had to tip the ball in for the Cats to get the win for them.

Reply #359498 | Report this post

Mack  
Years ago

@Mick Only idiots who watch the news everyday are stupid or dumb enough to believe 9/11 wasn't an inside job.

Reply #797586 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

@Mack - resurrecting a 9 year old thread! Impressive stuff.

Reply #797597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754