Isaac
Years ago

Warriors waive Khazzouh

Spotted the news on the Warriors' Twitter feed.

The Golden State Warriors have waived Gary Flowers, Julian Khazzouh, Tim Pickett and Tommy Smith, the team announced today.

Topic #27126 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Was just reading a similar story. Look out NBL if this cat has learned anything over there.

Reply #343550 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Would Khazzouh already have been a 10 point player in NBL?

Reply #343552 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Not superising given the Warriors front line. He'd be better off training with the Bobcats

Reply #343554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Doubt he'd be a 10 as he's still on his original Kings contract. Will be at the end of that contract though, regardless of this stint.

Reply #343569 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

nbl.com.au lists him currently as a 10.

Reply #343574 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's external rating I think. Could be wrong.

Reply #343577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha, this shows how unknowledgeable the mainstream media in oz is about the NBA, there's been about 10 articles in sydney papers about how he'd cracked the NBA as soon ashe was invited over.

Reply #343582 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

So "Anonymous"

Dp you think that it is amusing that basketball has such a low impact in Australia that the "mainstream" ( i.e. commercially successful) media does not really take the time to learn much about us ? - no wonder you don't know your own name.

Reply #343584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes I do think it's amusing. There's more pressing issues the media reports on innacurately that I don't find amusing but when it comes to basketball, given how dummed-down basketball coverage generally is, i think it's amusing. This doesn't mean i'd hope Khazzouh would get cut for my own amusement.

Reply #343589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twas expected, Khazzouh was only ever a warm body making up the numbers in training camp, even then I expected him to last more than one game.

Obviously didn't impress in practice.

Reply #343592 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He'd be rated a 10 because he played for West Sydney and then went overseas before coming back to join the Kings, therefore, he wouldnt be entitled to the loyalty deduction.

Reply #343594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prob will benefit from the fitness side of things and playing against some bigger stronger players and I would suspect he's been given a list of things to work on

Reply #343623 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Khazzouh needs to bulk up around 30 pounds before he can compete for an NBA roster spot.

Reply #343627 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

another 30 pounds? from memory he was already the heaviest player on the warriors extended list!

Reply #343640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another 30 pounds would make him 10 pounds heavier than Andrew Bogut, would is a couple of inches taller than Khazzouh.

Reply #343643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone else notice that anonymous person spelt 'dumb' wrong?

Reply #343645 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

lol. maybe 20 pounds then, whatever.... regardless.... no one should talk down of Khazzouh... hes come alot further then most in Aussie Basketball.... The fact they even bothered to have a look at him, "training body" or not means that in the scheme of things this dude is a real player and has some potential... remmeber millions play basketball... only about 250 players are in the NBA.... arguably, some arent as good as him... some..

Reply #343676 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Getting off a plane tired, cold & maybe a bit sore. Everyone is out for themselves & the cash in the NBA. Bigs with a bit of game are a dime a dozen! Be nice to see Brett Brown show some love. why arent any aussies trying with the Spurs?

Well done Kazzoo - no harm in trying big fella!!

Reply #343691 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I think there are upwards of 400 players in the NBA, hurley, but your point still stands.

Reply #343696 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Thats just it ... No harm in trying at all!

theres gonna be ignorant jerks knocking him for not "Making it"... its not as if you only have 1 shot. Maybe they just thought someone else was more ready right now... doesnt mean at all the Kazzouh doesnt have all the potential in the world.

Reply #343697 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Got further than any of the ppl bagging him did. Bad luck to him but atleast he had a crack and who knows if he can improve more he's more on the radar now.

Reply #343704 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Bad luck to Khazzouh for being cut so early, I honestly thought he might have gone further than one game with only 1:24 on the court (plus practices etc). But I'm dirty on the GSW for this. Couldn't they have kept him for another 2 weeks, just until after Adelaide play the Kings in Sydney on 30 December?

Reply #343705 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

HoldenV8, that was never going to happen with the season starting on Sunday. It was either make a full roster spot by then, or come back home.

Reply #343719 | Report this post

Fletcher  
Years ago

Sydney are lucky there getting the big man back. without him they could have almost kissed the season goodbye. As its stands though they may back up and get the season rolling if h'es improved in the states. But i reckon we'll see him in a nba roster in the coming seasons.

Reply #343748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh had a very good year last year and they still finished bottom of the ladder.

Reply #343838 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Why do people expect Khazzouh to come back from the states a better player? He was there for about 8 days!

Reply #343842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the big wookie have had a better chance of cracking the NBA if he had gone to college in the US?

I realise that there is a push among the powers that be to keep our kids in the country and not have them play college ball. Yet it seems that over the last few years most AIS kids have still gone ahead and done just that.

In fact I cant think of many examples of guys who have stayed that have managed to become "players" obvious exceptions include Newley, Ingles and Creek. Are there any many guys who stayed whose careers went quite well? Particularly interested in any kids that were not AIS kids?

Im interested in peoples thoughts on which one in general provides a better opportunity for development?

Reply #343907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was an AIS kid, but Maher is another. Jawai too.

Ben Allen went to college.

Reply #343933 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

just a quick FYI - Khazzouh was signed to a two year deal as a 9pt player, so it all depends on how he was "released" as to how many points he'd be worth for the rest of the season, but the Kings have plenty of points room to spare so that doesn't really matter...

Bad luck for him on not making it, but as a Kings fan, I'm curious to see if he comes back with that as a solid goal now, as he seems to be a bit cruisy in general, but if he's had a taste for the NBA now and has some real things to work on to be able to achieve his goal, then I'm certainly looking forward to how he uses that as motivation... Especially if they told him to work on his defence and passing, as he's already picked up the latter, with some really neat passes these last few rounds and is actually actively looking for team mates (with a few better options this season) but if he can become a better player on D, then that will be awesome... I think that's what people might be meaning when they say him come back as a better player... Have things that NBA coaches have told him that he needs to work on, so if he's serious about making it, that's what he's gonna do...

Reply #344127 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As for development, depends on the opportunity the player gets...two examples from college hoops:

Look at Dillon - he went to a very good D1 basketball school in Arizona but played sparingly few minutes and had little chance to shine. Given an opportunity in the NBL over a few seasons he has developed into a fringe Boomers squad member. I would argue it was the time he spent with and around NBL teams in Oz that enabled his talent was realised...

However compare that to the opportunity provided to Anatoly Bose at NSU. He was made the go-to player on a weak college team and starred. He is a better player for it too and now is a promising player in the NBL already.

It is all based on the opportunity presented the the situation the player is placed in I believe...

Reply #344129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754