Anonymous
Years ago

video replay error could hurt 36ers

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-holds-ground-on-tigers-20111216-1oyou.html

the nbl fail to accept responsiblity yet again someone should lose there job over the error made. imagine an AFL game going to a video replay and they got it wrong. gaze said on one hd coverage last night the ref can only judge under FIBA rules on video replay if it is a 2 or 3, or if the game clock expired and that you cant determine on replay because of a shot clock violation. this has massive implications for betting agencies and repercussions on the ladder with the log jam in the middle with teams could miss on playoffs head to head ratios. not just the tigers what about the 36ers who will be in a battle with cairns to make the finals granting the taipains a win when they shouldmt have could be the difference at seasons end

Topic #27129 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Not really. Melbourne lost the game fair and square.

Reply #343595 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

how exactly is the NBL at fault?

Reply #343596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide wont be pushing for anything close to a finals berth. They are pathetic, and yes i go every week, so i know what im talking about. Wont make the finals under Clarke as coach.

Reply #343597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and if you think the 6ers are going to make the finals you are on some seriously good drugs

Reply #343599 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

You have morons like back page lead writing articles how the tigers were robbed, when in fact I read some tweets earlier in the week stating that it would have been a shot clock violation regardless and Cairns ball with a sec or so left.

Reply #343601 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Lets wind the clock back to 2001 too and get Stiffy to swat Lowery's last FTA off the rim

it is in the past , let it go

Reply #343606 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

BJF, I think that Lowery decision showed how much of a backwards league we are. Not because that it was a foul (as I think it was) but because as you said there should have been a line up with time still remaining on the clock. What other league would have no line up? Maybe an under 12's game where the clock continues to run.

Can anyone tell me I am wrong with this?

Reply #343607 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

KingJames, I agree 100%. If there is no line-up and no time left on the clock that must have meant the refs were implying the foul occurred at 0:00. By my math, that's after the game had finished. And yeah, ten years on and it still stings. Only a little now though.

Reply #343611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Makes me think of a hypothetical.

Player shoots, ball leaves the hand, buzzer sounds as time expires. Ball bounces on the ring and would bounce in if left alone. Player on either team touches it and it drops in.

What's the ruling? Points count if touched by a defender, but not if touched by a teammate of the shooter?

Reply #343614 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

KingJames, if you are going to throw out a "we are a backwards league because ..." please do some research before you do.

Perhaps a google search for "free throws with no time on the clock", to discover examples where it has happened in the NBA, Euroleague, NCAA and other competitions.

Reply #343617 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Isaac, I would say your hypothetical is dependant on the bounce of the ball.

If it requires intervention from a 3rd party (player) to actually have a chance of going into the net, then I wouldn't count it. Certainly if the ball deflects off the rim, up, and back in, then I'd allow it.

KingJames, there was no contact on that 2001. I've seen all the video angles on that call and there was absolutely nothing in it apart from an Oscar Winning performance on the sell.

Reply #343619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

31.2.5 When
?? An official blows the whistle while the ball is in the hands of a player in the act
of shooting, or the ball is in flight on a shot for a field goal,
?? The game clock signal sounds for the end of a period while the ball is in flight
on a shot for a field goal,
No player shall touch the ball after it has touched the ring while it still has the
possibility of entering the basket.
All restrictions related to goaltending and interference shall apply.

31.3 Penalty
31.3.1 If the violation is committed by an offensive player, no points can be awarded. The
ball shall be awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the free-throw line
extended, unless otherwise stated in the rules.
31.3.2 If the violation is committed by a defensive player, the offensive team is awarded:
?? One (1) point when the ball was released for a free throw.
?? Two (2) points when the ball was released from the two-point field goal area.
?? Three (3) points when the ball was released from the three-point field goal area.
The awarding of the points is considered as if the ball had entered the basket.
31.3.3 If the goaltending is committed by a defensive player during a last or only free
throw, one (1) point shall be awarded to the offensive team, followed by the technical
foul penalty charged against the defensive player.

Reply #343625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks anon - seems I was more or less right.

Reply #343631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac I believe you will find as soon as someone touches it after the siren has gone. It negates the shot, no score either way.

Reply #343632 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Two things to consider.

One - Ubaka still had the ball his hands after the shot clock expired. Even though the refs didn't apply the rules 100% correctly, the outcome was correct.

Two - if you take anything that BPL or Daniel Eade as gospel, then you're an idiot.

Reply #343633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'632, that can't be correct. Once it's hit the ring or just generally? If generally, what if you attempt a three on the buzzer, time expires while the ball is in the air, and then I goaltend?

The rules posted by the other anon seem to suggest that it counts as a score.

That would prevent the Stiff swiping the ball off the ring scenario, right?

Reply #343635 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

the argument re the Stiff situation is that there should have been time on the clock as Lowery was fouled in the act of shooting, not fouled after the siren went

Time on the clock allows the ball to be swiped off the rim

Reply #343636 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Paul show me where that has happened in the NBA, NCAA or Euro leagues?

when i did the search I found this about the NBA rules on NBA.com (refer to Exception 2)

Section III-End of Period
a. Each period ends when time expires.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1) If a live ball is in flight, the period ends when the goal is made, missed or touched by an offensive player.
(2) If the official's whistle sounds prior to the horn or :00.0 on the clock, the period is not over and time must be added to the clock.

Reply #343644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You didnt look far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xw2sGsJ-s

Reply #343648 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isaac - for mine, if a defender touches its a goal tend of a legal shot attempt. Points count

If an offensive player touches, it effectively becomes another shot attempt (a tip in) which is after the siren. Points waived.

That was a long way of saying, I agree.

Reply #343657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buzzer sounds missed shot, game over. A tip in either way after the dead ball is too late. No need for any video.

Reply #343677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF

the argument re the Stiff situation is that there should have been time on the clock as Lowery was fouled in the act of shooting, not fouled after the siren went

Time on the clock allows the ball to be swiped off the rim

Once the whistle goes you cant knock it away from the rim. If offense touch it its waived off and if defense touch it its goaltending.

Reply #343727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No time on the clock. Foul occurred with time left but by the time the whistle blew time had expired. Not an uncommon thing to happen at the end of a game or quarter, and time passes between when every foul happens and when the clock stops during a game.

Reply #343741 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

excpet in the NBA where the refs whistles are attached to the clock so that they stop on every whistle

Reply #343752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clock doesn't stop at the point of impact (when the foul occurs) it stops when the whistle goes.

You also have to allow time for a human being to react to the whistle and then stop the clock.

In the Lowry situation the foul (I won't say impact/contact as there wasn't any) occured before the end of the game, then the whistle went and as a result there was no time on the clock when the scorer attempted to stop it.

Happens all the time at all levels.

It's been 10 years, let it go already.

Reply #343759 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Okay so the interpretation is that if the whistle is blown after the siren then there should be no line up in which case I am wrong.

I still think it should be at the point of impact of the foul, same as if the ball goes out of bounds, why should players be penalized because an umpire is slow to blow their whistle. What about if an umpire does a late call 2 seconds after the play when the Siren goes.

I can understand it if a player is fouled after the Siren.

Reply #343761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James how can the clock stop at the point of impact of the foul? That means the scorer would have to stop the clock prior to the whistle. What if the ref chose a no call?
The same goes for an out of bounds play, the clock stops when the referee blows their whistle not when the ball lands out of court.
In FIBA world/Olympics and yes the NBA as BDF rightly points out the referees whistles are linked to a microphone which is linked to the clock and once blown the clock stops instantly. It's called precision timing.

Reply #343767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there is still a delay even then, even if it is only 0.02 or 0.04 or something the ref has to see the foul and then blow the whistle. Free throws with no time on the clock has happened in the NBA abd FIBA recently.

Reply #343781 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anonymous, I am saying once the foul is called a replay should be viewed to see when the point of the foul occurred and then the time adjusted.

Reply #343784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On every single play?????? Yeah that would speed the game up.And if you only want it in the last 2 mins does that make the time slip in the other 38 mins irrelevant??? Slightly ridiculous

Reply #343785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it shouldn't King James. The rules clearly state that the clock stoped for the whistle not the infraction.

The clock should never be adjusted back to the time of the violation or foul and should always be as a result of a whistle.

Reply #343791 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I am just saying how it is in the NBA when they adjust the clock using video replay.

Reply #343794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754