Anonymous
Years ago

If you were the owners...

...would you back Marty for the rest of his contract or look to move him on now?

Topic #27135 | Report this topic

KB3  
Years ago

yawn
not enough threads like this for you zzzz

Reply #343674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not enough wins for me KB3. Or signs of improvement. Or passion. Not enough crowds, not enough life in the franchise.

The fan-base is dying. I haven't seen any real pressure on the club to do something like Adelaide United has done. I want to know if others feel like I do.

Reply #343675 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

perhaps you could read the hundreds of opinions already on here to find out

Reply #343682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In every sport someone has to finish first, second, mid pack and last.. Seriously, if 1 average season can allow the fans to turn their backs and destroy a franchise they might as well pack up shop and find another past time, sport isnt for them.

Reply #343690 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha I wish it was just one average season! Haven't had a solid respected coach at nbl level for years now.

Reply #343693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ridiculous comment anon. Has been no home final here since 2003 and friday's crowd was the lowest in the arena's history

Reply #343710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says anything about turning our backs? We've had about 7 to 8 terrible seasons now (except for that one year Ninnis made the finals) and we are the fans left.

Marty is killing the place. The lack of results is only compounded by his smugness and disrespect for the fan base that comes across in every interview.

I know if at my work I treated my customers with the same attitude Marty treats the fans with I'd be fired very quickly.

Time to go Marty...

Reply #343711 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

guys. quit whinging. you dont have the team to compete, its not all martys fault...

Reply #343717 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

y'all do realise that with 2 more wins we would be in the top 4

We have beaten 2 of the top four teams and taken it to the other 2

There are a lot of positives if you choose to see them

If you choose to focus on the negatives then that is what you will find

We have a front court enviable of all other teams, are fielding a team rated at less than 60 points against teams that are close to 70.

Reply #343724 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

BJF we are also 4-1 against the bottom and 3rd to bottom team.

When we are second to bottom its hard not to focus on the negatives.

Hopefully we can turn it around over the next 5 games

Reply #343735 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

This is a young , versatile roster that has improved since the lackluster start and will improve further.
Some good players were not considered , although some reckon Bruce cain't get the ball over halfway and don't like Helliwell here , but he's great trainer,
while only yesterday Simpson and Creek shot very well.
Helliwell's a great coach.
Johnson didn't miss.
Many are speculating Weigh's minutes , when others had to sweat.

Reply #343763 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd honestly sell up. I'd be suprised if any of the owners are making any money and you can only build up tax losses for so long

Look in today's Tiser and see what the owner of the Glory is doing. Sick of being abused at games and coping the negativity from the fans. He is handing back his licence at the end of the season - has had enough of pumping is own money in and not getting any return.

Reply #343764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jake any NBL owner who thinks they are going to make money from a team is an idiot.

I've heard Melbourne claim they run at a profit but its easy to do that when another company is picking up all your admin costs.

Townsville apparently break even but I wonder if that will be the case this year given their attendances are significantly below the sell outs they claim to have had in the past.

No Championship team has ever made money and that's despite winning the whole thing.

I read the other day that the AFL expected Nine AFL clubs to post end of year losses. That's despite hoarding the media market, sponsors, TV Broadcast rights, AFL grants and massive government funding.

WNBL, A-League, Netball all have similar stories.

Sports teams just don't make money.

Reply #343768 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd stick with Marty personally. I think he is a good coach, he just needs a bit longer to adapt to the big league.

I also think the team has improved this year since last year even if the position on the ladder doesnt really show that.

What people/fans have to keep in mind is that this is one of, if not, the youngest teams in the league.

The problem with our teams recently has been the inability to keep a good core around but I think we are getting there and there are some positives signs regarding personnell for next season if we can keep them.

Simpson is the best import we have had in a long time, DJ is improving (especially since Simpson has arrived) Weigh has potential even if he isnt playing like it at the moment and Warren is no slouch at the point. I think we are a decent SG away from being really competitive.

My biggest concern is without Marty this trend will continue, especially as players like Creek, DJ and Weigh will likely move on if he does.

Marty could easily try and take the quick fix route but people need to realise he is building something and this takes time.

Give him until the end of his contract and see how he goes I reckon?!

Reply #343771 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

One word...

Phil

Reply #343772 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

IMO the #1 thing I would be doing at the moment is getting the coach some media training/coaching.

One of the main problems I see at the moment with Clarke is that he doesnt seem to take any responsibility for the teams performance. When the #1 journo in the state is Boti, who loves taking pot shots and being negative, having a coach who seems to put himself above criticism is a recipe for disaster.

If Clarke was proactive in post game interviews and came out and acknowleged where the team was lacking and what HE needed to do over the coming week at training to address those shortcomings then I feel it would really help.

At the moment it seems that Clarke is trying to divert the blame anywhere and everywhere to save taking any himself. Coaching an NBL team isnt bloody easy so actually acknowleging that he is still learning himself and will continue to work on being able to get more out of the team would go a long way to improving both the way he and the club are percieved.

Fans will accept a loss as long as they feel that everyone is giving 100% and the entire group is accountable for their part in it and working to improve

Reply #343774 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

Marty is way too arrogant and has too massive an ego to ever admit he is "still learning". He is the great "teacher", remember?
We're the ones that need to understand Statman. Not Sir Martin

Reply #343782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto to what you said Jackie.

Reply #343789 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Reply #343795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think one of the biggest problems faced by most owners is the Tigers, NZ, Perth and GC.
There is no way they are sticking to the salary cap.

What do the other owners do, compete with them ( that is what sent the leauge down last time) or build a sustainable structure not based on what team you can buy on the day.
Townsville, Cairns and until recently the Gong have done this very well. Adelaide is on the way.

It is common knowledge that the 6ers paid big for its past teams.

Third season under these owners and the 6ers are still here, and are getting better.

Can the owners, sponsors and fans hang out, that is the question

Reply #343797 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anonymous, they are not cheating the cap. The problem is that in Australian sports, teams are usually allowed to offer apartments, cars, advertising opportunities etc. as part of a "lifestyle" package to sell to players during recruitment.

Reply #343809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes all of the extras are supposed to be part of the players salaray package and therefore declared.

Reply #343810 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Anonymous read my post again. You have gone off on a different tangent. I am not suggesting what you have gone on and written. I purely had an opinion on what the title of the thread suggests "If you were the owners....."

Reply #343813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754