Anonymous
Years ago

Will sudanese migration make help boomers?

Ok everyone, I am just wondering what everyone thinks about this.. Will sudanese mighration help the boomers in future??? ok sure Ater Majok isnt exactly boomers worthy right now, but do you guys think that over tghe next 10 years theres going to be even more of these types popping up? some being far more athleticly gifted then there white counterparts. I would hope that grassroots basketball in australia is making the game accessable to thoes people to play competitively and structured, and that they have good pathways to NBL and Ais... infact Australian basketball would be missing a massive oppurtunity if they didnt. Ater Majoks physical gifts are such that... even with his complete lack of basketball IQ as far as Ive seen.. hes still getting a sniff at the NBA.. the problem is the exact opposite for most white aussie ballers... they usually have all the know how but lack in speed, athleticism or height. Merge the 2 hey? sounds good to me... Ms Kenealy... you hot old woman.. get behind it

Topic #27139 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Pretty racist post.

Majok to me is a fake atheletic player in that he is getting blocks and dunks not because he necessarily has a huge jump but because he is extremely long. Same as manute bol, I wouldn't say he was atheletic but rather a freak of nature. Atheletic to me is a Creek, Walker, Abercrombie etc

Australia does have lots of players with speed, athleticism and height.

Where Sudanese as well as other people of african decent can help is with their height and length. However, they still need to develop basketball skills otherwise that will not be of much use.

Reply #343751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80% of the nba rosters are made up of African Americans. Is the nba racist? Nope be realistic. With the proper coaching the potential is insane for some of these kids. That's all the first posters point is I think.

Reply #343753 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If they want to play Basketball they have the same options as any other Kid or are you trying to say that they should get "special" treatment because they may grow taller than another Kid of different heritage?

Reply #343754 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

KingJames - just mentioning race in a post doesn't make it 'racist'. Seems a legit discussion point to me?

I would have thought that describing Bol as a 'freak of nature' was more offensive than anything anon said, although I get where you are coming from.

I support any thread that involves discussion of Manute Bol and his awesomeness.

Reply #343755 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

RIP Manute!

The only thing with African players is that for every Olajuwon/Mutombo, there are 30 Yinka Dares (RIP).

They do have the attributes to have a huge impact on sports in general in australia in the future though.

Reply #343765 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

As a high school teacher, I can confidenlty say that the concept of treating every student in your classroom the same as being best practise has been debunked for decades. The teacher must be mindful of the individual's strengths, weaknesses, backgrounds, gender, maturity, disabilities etc. and cater to each in order to provide the optimal environment for the individual to be successful. I would imagine that for the basketballer to develop their potential, coaching should be approached in a similar way, and doing so should not be regarded as giving "special" treatment.

Reply #343766 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you would be quite happy to subsidize them playing Basketball because they may make the Boomers better or should they jump through the same hoops as every other kid?

Reply #343769 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Thanks dud - its bloody lonely down here but watching UNC v Nicholls State so it aint all bad...

Reply #343773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They have the same opportunities as any others hoping for a professional pathway. Junior clubs may create outreach programs to get them involved directly though - up to them.

Will we see more of them - sure.

Reply #343775 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I would hope that any prospect, be them of European, Asian or Martian descent be given the assistance that is deemed appropriate if there is a genuine need.

But I'm not just talking about money being thrown around. Take Steve Adams as an example. A kid from a difficult background who has secured a scholarship to an excellent school, been given opportunity to develop through the NZNBL and Tall Blacks programme, as well as the Nike camp in the States. Has also been given extra tuition in order to raise his schoolwork to the level where he can qualify for a NCAA college basketball scholarship.

Am I saying that he has not worked his butt off to earn the opportunities he has been presented? Not for a second. I do however believe that he would never have gotten this far if it were not for the community mobilising around him.

If any Australian child shows even half of the upside that Adams has shown, including those of Sudanese descent, it would be a loss for Australian basketball if similar efforts are not made to coax their talents.

Reply #343776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it has given us one of the best 14 year old basketballers in the world- Thon Maker.

Reply #343778 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Steven Adams half brother Warren Adams who played NZNBL and for the Tall Blacks was the one who pulled him out of Rotorua and got him away from the gangs etc, took him down to Wellington to a lady (Blossom Cameron) who had mentored him and a few other troubled kids successfully over the years. Kenny McFadden was asked by Warren Adams to get him in his basketball program as they had played together at the Saints and the rest is history and hard work.
That was a kids extended family stepping up to the plate not Basketball NZ.

Reply #343786 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The key here is identifying the kids that truly have talent and long-term prospects, whether they be Australian born or immigrants.

Also, basketball in Australia is not cheap, with all the travel, rego, insurance, and games fees that parents are expected to pay.

It's simply not possible for many families.

I know that there are some parents from lower income backgrounds who work their butts off so their kids can play ball at whichever level their talents dictate, but lots of parents simply aren't prepared to do that.

Reply #343788 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I said community.

Reply #343790 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But the problem is just getting to the point where you can vie for a scholarship is more than many families can afford.

Reply #343793 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

AussieBoomers4Eva: I agree you did say community, my bad

Reply #343800 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

No wukkaz, Mystro

Reply #343806 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have worked with some local Sudanese kids in a program called Midnight Basketball, along with other kids from lower socio-economic areas and it was great to see them having fun, mixing it up on and off the court with no racial issues at all, just kids having fun!

Soccer is something these kids love just as much, if not more than basketball, but for those who are taller and leaner, yes hoops is something they are adapt at and with some training and patience they will be very good at (like any kids with the necessary attributes who want to put in the hard work I guess)...

Thon Maker is very tall and has huge potential at 14-15 years old and nearly 7 feet tall already... I wonder if the age is bona fide? I am sure it has been verified so he plays in the right age group...

Kids will all catch up as they get closer to maturing, I look forward to seeing him play at Nationals for NSW next year...

Reply #343808 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It should never be about race, poor is poor no matter what colour your skin is.
Subsidized leagues and or teams, coaching clinics etc should be available to lower income families so those kids get the same shot as anyone else.

Reply #343818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey guys, I was the guy who made the thread. Must clarify i dont really think they need special reatment per se... but yes, all poor people in all areas should have access to ways to play and be noticed.. oppurtunities to play district and go up the ladder, white.. asian... that doesnt matter. however all I am really pinpointing is that we now have this vast potential talent pool to work with.. If we can make the sudanese/australian community get behind basketball... there general length and athletic qualities will really help us. I dont think thats racist to say, because I am embracing a quality about a race that is different to my own. All races have there specific qualities and attributes that make them different to eachother and that is not a bad thing. Sudanese people especially, tend to be longer, leaner, quicker and more athletic... similar to african americans (who seem to be a bit bulkier however). By this I am by no ways saying that White kids cant be like that... Brad Newley, Joe Ingles, etc would give alot of these guys a good shake... but think about uit, when it comes to speed, athleticism, etc etc... outside of our primary 10 or so guys, we start struuggling internationally... where as places like america with prodominantly black players have literally no end to the amount of athletes they can bring.

Reply #343828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will all be boomers! All of them! ALL! OF! THEM! And we will win Olympic gold! GOLD! I tell you all it's true! TRUE! Not even joking right now! NOW!

Reply #343836 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Spain Croatia the USSR etc didn't need Sudanese migration to be good teams so I'd say it wouldn't have a major impact on Australia as a basketball nation. Getting bogut, mills, Irving all playing well would be a more feasible thing to work towards.

Reply #343840 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

They may not nedd Sudanese migration, but Spain and Russia, along with many other European teams for that matter, have very highly questionable "nationals" in their squads.

At least if we get Irving he is legit in the sense that he was born an Australian.

Reply #343848 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

now, having worked with many Sudanese players I think people who think they have same opportunity as white Australians don't quite understand their situation.

I've seen time after time in the past how clubs simply can't be bothered dealing with the Sudanese kids because I don't think it's the skin color, but language barrier and cultural differences. However, I would argue that they simply didn't put in the time to help and understand where they come from etc. In saying that I firmly believe the situation is changing, the emergence of Ater Majok has really helped their community get noticed.

In fact, AIS is about to take a Sudanese athlete Jo Lual in the upcoming year. The kid is 6'10 and a beast!

To say that an average player can do what some of them can do is ludicrous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEm18Bc8YpQ&context=C3c40537ADOEgsToPDskJYo05q1a9qifO9fDJwWvs4 check this out if you wanna see what some of them can do only if they have been TAUGHT how to play!!!

Now only a handful of NBLers can pull out something like that!!!

Lastly, overhearing Ian Stacker over the weekend, he said in 7~8years time 1/2 the Boomers will be Sudanese origin!!!

Reply #343880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's one that was held at Wayville with some off the same guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTrZhOOsh3I

Now that is a windmill! And just wait til you see the 360 windmill at 1:44.

Reply #343898 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

think even if the guys have supposedly no hops/athleticism, that's pretty good for me regardless, at least better than most of the guys currently playing...haha

Reply #343903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in this sport, in Australia, you can be anything, regardless of your ethnic background if you do the following:

1) turn up to practice at the arranged time.

2) call or message if you can't make a session.

3) Don't believe the BS told to you about how good you are/can be/will be by people who are only interested in serving themselves.

4) turn up to practice on time.

5) don't crack the shits when you don;t play as much as someone else because they are better than you.

6) don't believe the hype about yourself - work hard, work harder and then work some more. Your athleticism will only get you so far.

7) turn up to practice.

Reply #344036 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I agree with that but let me tell you this, probably 95% of Sudanese will not turn up on time and fail to do alot of what you mentioned.

but, does that mean you just give up on them? no you teach them what's right. some of you simply don't understand their cultural background given most didn't come from war-torn country.

from personal experience with some patience and teach them about discipline and work ethic, it can work out for the good. but the coach themself need to put in the effort to teach them.

Reply #344038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in this sport, in Australia, you can be anything, regardless of your ethnic background if you do the following:

1. Show up to practice on time
2. Drink after practice with your mates
3. Show up to games on time
4. Drink after games with your mates
5. Be smart and non-athletic because all of the players at the highest level realized that basketball is a nonathletic sport.
6. Don't crack the shits when you don't play as much as someone else because their father or families mates is on the board of directors or know this guy or that guy.
7. Drink some more because of #6.(Turn up to practice on time to work it off)

Reply #344039 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Why not develop some of the players in our own back yard?? eg: work with aboriginal kids and give them a go??? Alot of these kids are amazing footballers but I bet if given the chance to play basketball they would shine. Along with talent you've also got to have heart to play basketball and get anywhere...height will only get you so far.

Reply #344043 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

re anonymous post: "Well it has given us one of the best 14 year old basketballers in the world- Thon Maker".
Please explain to us all who this kid is as most of us have never heard of him?? Not another youtube sensation is he? Oh and no naming of U18 players on here.

Reply #344045 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Thon Maker is a 14 yo 7fter originally from Sydney. somehow gone unnoticed until an American coach scouted him and took him over to US where is is now widely known as #1 player for his age group, with numerous scouts comparing him to Durant and Webber.

Potential loss of talent? I think so!

Reply #344048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Thon go unnoticed? He represented NSW at junior tournaments and is still eligible to play for Australia.

Reply #344054 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

my bad, noticed too late. is that better for you now?

Reply #344096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754