Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers Wings - Experience Vs Youth

3 out of the 4 wing positions for London 2012 are likely to be filled with Brad Newley, Joe Ingles and Dave Barlow (assuming Worthington plays as a PF Tweener and assuming Kyrie isn't going to play) which wonders who will be the 4th wing player picked for the Boomers.

It's likely going to be a 3 point shooter off the bench who is likely to only get junk minutes as the other 3 could rotate and play the wing minutes between the 3. So in that case, do you take an experienced player who may hit 2-3 shots you need or a youth player where it would be good to get experience.

The contenders IMO are:
EXPERIENCE
Peter Crawford - 17.2ppg / 4.0rpg / 1.9apg / 48% 3pt / 386 NBL games
Kevin Lisch - 17.2ppg / 4.3rpg / 3.1apg / 44% 3pt / if nationalised
Daryl Corletto - 12.8ppg / 1.6rpg / 1.5apg / 46% 3pt / 290 NBL games

YOUTH
Ryan Broekhoff - 15.8ppg / 9.4rpg / 2.6apg / 37% 3pt / Div 1 College
Anthony Drmic - 14.0ppg / 4.4rpg / 2.3apg / 40% 3pt / Div 1 College
Stephen Weigh - 12.0ppg / 5.7rpg / 1.8apg / 36% 3pt
Ben Madgen - 10.9ppg / 3.2rpg / 1.2apg / 32% 3pt
Anatoly Bose - 12.2ppg / 6.2rpg / 0.7apg / 26% 3pt (yuk!)
Chris Goulding - 7.8ppg / 2.1rpg / 1.4apg / 32% 3pt

I think Crawford and Lisch are in the better form right now and could contribute more if needed to play 20+ minutes at the games, however remembering when the Gorj took Rille and Catalini to the games and never played them how frustrated they got on tour wasn't a good thing. I think taking a young player who will benefit from the experience and play 3-5 minutes in 3-4 of the games would be better. I would take either Ryan or Drmic.

Topic #27161 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol corletto. you lost credibility with that one. 'hey go guard kobe for a few minutes, darryl'. he can't guard anyone in the big v.
and lisch is too small to be an international 2.
just my opinion

Reply #344191 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

This debate is waste of time because based on previous selections Brown will only cary 3 wings and they will almost certainly be the three mentioned. He needs to cut down in other positions to make room for his penchant for a plethora of point guards.

Of those mentioned as chances maybe a naturalised Lisch could have a sot at the team but only because his size will convince Brown that he is a PG.

Reply #344202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Drmic for sure.... and what about that funny lookin blonde haired kid... he looked like he could [lay but forgot his name. he looks like a blonde version of the guy off mad magazines

Reply #344212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darryl Corletto?????? serious Darryl Corletto???? your forgetting that in the international game u gotta do more then JUST hit a 3 and a floatr... this guy will have defend better players then he could possibly imagine please keep him ouit of all boomers talks please he makes Luke Kendall seem like manu ginobli. And i dispise peter crawford, for all his points production in the NBL ive only ever seen him do stupid retarded shit for the boomers... surely we dont need to resort to him again... come on guys this is the olympic squad not just the one we send over the New Zealand!

Reply #344213 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah lisch is only on this team if he can play pg in my opinion. I'd go with Crawford if you must pick another wing, maybe cause I'm being a homer, but maybe because he is having a career year and has that "can't stand losing" fire that many boomers lack...

He has NBA range, which you need when you're shooting over the length and defensive prowess of international competition.

Reply #344214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen is older than Lisch- youth v experience??

Reply #344218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Mick (even though I said you know nothing!!) Crawford is on fire and can be a spark plug off the bench who can hit a shot that the Boomers desperately need. Ingles and Newley havent been in form for some time, and you can only play two point guards for periods of time, not the whole game, so PC wouldnt be a bad option.

BTW Mick, while some international teams are very long, many play 6'3 or 6'4 guys at shooting guard.

Reply #344223 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ingles has not had a chance to be in 'form' as he has been sitting on the bench for one of the best teams in Europe...that alone is a concern.

As for Newley, his form was nothing special before he had his apendicitis operation, and he has yet to return to the court. Bit of a concern one would think...

And many teams play taller than 6'4" at the SG spot - with many around 6'6"

Genuine 3-point shooting is a major concern for the Boomers, we have a big hole since Gaze, Heal, Maher and more all retired.

Reply #344225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some play tall at shooting guard, but some dont. People in this country assuming everyone overseas plays really tall.

France, USA, Spain, Brazil, Turkey, Slovenia and Puerto Rico all run guys 6'4 or under at the 2 spot. You need to be able to play both small and long at that spot - which we can.

Definitely agree re three point shooting - was a great strength in 2008 but has been woeful since. Our offence doesnt help that, it's like Cairns, very few rhythm shots.

Reply #344235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, Ingles is playing well. With the lack of Spanish players they have to sit the imports out. All the guys are rotating but ingles has had the most as he will then be allowed to play all the finals games.

Hope this clarifiys whats going on. Newley always plays well for the boomers so I would not worry on that level either.

Reply #344269 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm well aware of how Ingles has been playing...when he has received an opportunity he has done quite well. My point is that he hasn't been getting decent minutes and hence IMO is a bit 'underdone'...

Reply #344273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley hasn't played well for e boomers since 09. Ingles hardly gets any minutes because he isn't one of barcelonas better players

Reply #344283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley hasn't played well for e boomers since 09. Ingles hardly gets any minutes because he isn't one of barcelonas better players

Reply #344284 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMHO, Crawford should definently be in there!

Fantastic shooter with great range and CONSISTENT.

Wouldn't expect him to get the starting spot, as that will be Newley or Ingles.

But I love that Crawford has great range, and he is a relatively consistent shooter.
And when he is injury free and healthy, he can be a hell of a defender and a real work horse.

Can't believe Broekhoff is even been mentioned. This is the Olympics, and hence the level is many steps up.

Even if Lisch is naturalised, Crawford should still be in the team.
Lisch will be a great addition as PG for the Boomers (Along side teammate Martin). None of this Gibson business--He isn't up to International standard.

If Lisch could naturalise, my squad would be:

Mills/Martin/Lisch
Newley/Crawford
Ingles/Barlow
Nielson/Worthington
Bogut/Maric/Jawai

Could run Lisch at the two as well or he could handle the ball at the Point.
Dellavedova to miss out if Lisch was to naturalise IMO. Martin v Lisch for backup position would be close and a battle of good defense vs. good offense.

I think that Boomers lineup is really balanced, and IMHO Gibson should not be considered whatsoever; he isn't up to it.

Reply #344344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754