Up for grabs
Years ago

New Academy Coach

Any thoughts on who will be the next academy coach?

Castle?
Sapwell?
Brooks?

Topic #2717 | Report this topic

Up for grabs  
Years ago

Probably needs to be someone experienced and well respected. The above three are good suggestions but would that mean they have to give up their local jobs with Sturt, Norwood, Woodville?

Ninnis was perfect for the job and finding a replacement to fill his shoes will be very hard.

Reply #30608 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

Al Green

Reply #30609 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would think KB would be a great asset to the team as he can give them experience from the NBA and what it takes to play at the ultimate level in the world.

Reply #30614 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think Rick will do it. Ninnis isn't leaving for a while, and the ABL season finishes in a few months, so I think the timing will be OK.

The Academy was Rick's brainchild anyway (I think), so he would jump at the chance.

Couldn't he coach both ABL and Academy, or is it too much of a conflict of interest?

Reply #30615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He also coaches a school team and besides trying to win his dunk bet, surely there's something else he gets up to.

Reply #30617 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Finding new Dennis Rodman jerseys to display in his house..

Reply #30624 | Report this post

Sam L Jackson  
Years ago

Maybe that Damien guy from centals, bugger the centrals JDO position he can go to the basketball academy.

Reply #30646 | Report this post

Curious Monkey  
Years ago

How about K. Goodenough. Now he's left mavs wouldn't he be in the running. Didn't he used to have alot to do with the state program?
He has a tonne of expereince, both with juniors and seniors.

Reply #30647 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

mark davis? can he coach? would he wanna coach?

Reply #30649 | Report this post

Curious Monkey  
Years ago

how could he get there, he can't drive! you'd need a coach that could a) be able to get to trainings etc and b) provide as a responsivle role model to these up-and-commers

Reply #30650 | Report this post

peter pan  
Years ago

MD coaches an Indigenous side from a northern area school

Reply #30651 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

Curious Monkey they are not ten years old. If MD was coach do you really think they would all go out drink driving everywhere you fool!

Reply #30658 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

Quite an exaggeration Black Cat.

Are you enjoying your school holidays? Don't miss your teachers yet?

I am not suggesting anything of the sort, but if he is the coach/role model would some of his "laws dont apply to me" rub off on these players? He didn't drink drive once, he was CAUGHT drink driving, how many...three times?

Reply #30668 | Report this post

big max  
Years ago

For the record,

I think you will find that Mark Davis lost his licence from driving whilst his licence was disqualified he did not loss his licence because he was court over the limit and it was not repeated drink driving offences

Reply #30672 | Report this post

big max  
Years ago

He originally lost his licence because he didn't pay outstanding speeding fines and parking tickets, nothing to do with DUI (driving under the influence). And then he was court driving with a disqualified licence. Cannot stress it any more, not drink driving

Reply #30674 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

my mistake, i apoligise, netheless you've only enhanced the point i am trying to make, driving while disqualified - what message does that give?? The laws apply to everyone, even the chairman of the boards.

Reply #30675 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

Actually - after some research he has been done DUI twice

Mark Davis fined (#16126) - yogee

turns out i wasn't far off,

your mistake.

Reply #30677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much time on your hands

Reply #30692 | Report this post

bullseye  
Years ago

Scott Whitmore for Academy Coach

Reply #30693 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Satish Dogra for Academy coach. That man is intense!

Reply #30700 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Coach Casella

Reply #30703 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

He's too intense!

Reply #30704 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

"Let's run the pop and shot for Bear in the corner". Look out Goorj, Casella is on your tail.

Reply #30711 | Report this post

Kramer  
Years ago

Coach Bear should get a crack, he is liked by all at sasi and would be working with that age group, so that has to be a positive! Still young but would do well. Go bear.

Reply #30713 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Anybody think Mark Lampshire?

Sure, most of you only know him as Scott's Dad, but he used to be the Head Coach of the Mt Gambier Pioneers!

Reply #30715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Cole???

He'd probably start lighting up outside the stadium...or in the departure lounge after the team went to the AIS!

Reply #30716 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

What about Steve Brehney??

Would he have enough time to take on this role?

Reply #30854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be sapwell for sure

Reply #30923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Meschke???

Back from the AIS, led the Under 18 boys to silver in 2003...

Reply #30929 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

he'd certainly be qualified, but do you think sturt would allow him.

Probably one of the most realistic suggetions so far, anon.

Reply #30930 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

More importantly, it is who Scott and/or Paul want to take the helm, and who they employ. Rick has a say maybe? Will the major sponsor stay on and/or can another one be found to fund the wages etc?

Reply #30931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Sappa will get the job and Norwood will need a new ABA coach in 06

Reply #30934 | Report this post

All about winning  
Years ago

If Norwood dont get some wins soon Norwood might need a new aba coach in 06 anyway.

Reply #30942 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think Sappa should get the nod if he wants it...he is a great comunicator of skills. Some players are guns on the court but cant explain to a youngster how to perform or imrove, Sappa wasn't a gun but he is much more clearer on the fundamentals

Reply #30948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #30953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously - hence Norwood being 1-5

Reply #30954 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

maybe the Don, after he's finished the season in under 14's?

Reply #31005 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What about Brooksy as I think someone said above - he has NBA experience which he can pass on and boy he knows how to play.

Reply #31008 | Report this post

kevin  
Years ago

Rick Castle is the obvious choice.
It was his brain child, he has the passion, the knowledge and the experience ... ask the players.
Kevin and Rupert lack coaching experience.

Reply #31074 | Report this post

Paul B  
Years ago

Yes I agree, Rick Castle is the man for the job. He has experience, knowledge and what it takes to move the Academy to the next phase.

Reply #31076 | Report this post

Darren  
Years ago

Yes, he has got my vote. With Rick as coach the Academy would certainly move forward in the right direction. He is a great coach.

Reply #31077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHat would u guys know??

Reply #31079 | Report this post

Yeah man  
Years ago

Vote 1 for Rick Castle
All the players are with you, Rick

Reply #31080 | Report this post

Sigmund  
Years ago

Rick is a doctor of psych isnt he??

Reply #31081 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Ha Ha Sappa as coach. 1-5 result so far, No coaching experience, players do not have confidence, and he listens to no one. Definitely not the credentials needed for the new Academy coach

Reply #31082 | Report this post

Yeah man  
Years ago

You are right there Sigmund.
Besides Rick's coaching experience, no other senior coach in Australia is a qualified Sports Psychologist.

Reply #31083 | Report this post

Sigmund  
Years ago

Rupert: 1-6 now. Yes rick would be good!

Reply #31084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Come on you punks. Quit changing names to support your own points. RickyC can't be coach until he gets that elusive dunk!

Reply #31096 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

I know of an U/18 div.1 coach who has a sports psychology qualification and he isn't even involved with Sturt. What is your point "Yeah Man"?

Reply #31130 | Report this post

Grog Bog  
Years ago

Coach Bear. What that man doesn't know about hoops isn't worth knowing. Failing that, what about Solid G????????/

Reply #31164 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

i know this is digging up an old thread, but has there been anyone appointed yet? Do we know the squad either?

Reply #37182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breheny confirmed - no squad announcement, coaches to nominate players

Reply #37190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754