hmp
Years ago

Andrew Bogut: Defensive Player of the Year ?

Ok I know Dwight Howard is the best defender in the league and Bogut will never be able to be as good as him due to athleticism.

However here me out. I think Bogut assuming he stays healthy (probably won't) is a good chance of winning the DPOY award in this shortened season.

Why?

Bogut has improved in leaps and bounds since his rookie season and is amazing defensively (for adjusted +/- and Bogut grades amazingly)

The Bucks have been ranked 4th and 3rd the previous 2 seaons in defensive efficiency.

Dwight Howard will likely be traded midseason or if he isn't traded, the Magic look like they are going to be terrible this season.

So there's my 2c. I think Bogut is a good shot at the DPOY this season if he stays healthy and the Bucks make the playoffs.

Topic #27174 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Nope sorry, Howard will be Defensive player of the year again

Reply #344347 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bismack Biymobo would have a better chance of DPOY than Bogut and he is a rookie. As a matter of fact I reckon Biyombo is going to be a block machine so much so that he could rival Howard for DPOY.

The kid got a triple double with blocks at the Nike Summit game, and he is athletic as hell.

He has a 7-7 wingspan!

Reply #344367 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

2 months in to last season bogut was 2nd favourite to win defensive player of the year on espn.com so its not that outlandish of a statement.

Bogut is one of the few bigs that takes charges (as well as puts up big block and rebound numbers), which unfortunately doesn't get a stat.

He wont win DPOY but will be amongst the discussion. If you lead the league in blocks you will always be amongts the discussion (as bogut did).

Reply #344373 | Report this post

Ain't no G  
Years ago

Thabeet was supposed to be a defensive juggernaut also. It's not a great idea to talk rookies up too much until they're playing substantial minutes against quality opposition. There have been too many busts.

Reply #344391 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Interesting that some NBA scribes have him already pencilled in as DPOY. Only time will tell but would be great to see him continue his development pre-injury because the cat was on his way to being one of the best players in the league.

Reply #344394 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Let's face it; that elbow injury on 08-09 really took Bogut down a notch.

He's still classified as the 2nd best Center in the league behind Howard and frankly I would happen to agree with that.

If Bogut can get back into form again as per two years ago, I think he's more than capable of taking it to Howard as the Best Center in the league.

Best Defensive player though? I don't think so.

Reply #344403 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

These awards are popularity contests...and unless Bogut has figures that complete overwhelm Howard (and his team is winning), he is not going to win it.

Bogut will be right up there in the running if he stays healthy, but if Howard is also healthy, I doubt Bogut will win as much as I would love to see that happen.

Reply #344405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should hope he unbusts before talking DPOY..

Reply #344441 | Report this post

merry  
Years ago

there is not a chance in hell biyombo wins DPOY ... he might play 15 minutes a game and get 2 blocks per but you would have to be retarded to honestly believe he will win any awards.

Reply #344466 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

merry, he got a trip-doub with blocks at the Nike Summit and has a 7-7 wingspan. so no im not retarded. if Bogut has a chance to win DPOY, then Biyombo is in with a shot. your retarded.

Reply #344470 | Report this post

merry  
Years ago

hmmm what was thabeets wingspan again... how did that work out for him?

Nike summit is against 18 year old boys not NBA experienced men .. so the tripdub must be taken with a grain of salt (or more).

DPOY is about more than just blocks if you weren't aware.

I'm not denying Biyombo has the potential to be a block beast, but he's not going to win DPOY as he will only be playing 15/20 minutes a game. He didn't win any defencive awards in Euroleague so I can't imagine why you think he would win any in the NBA.

Reply #344477 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

MACDUB stirring the pot again? Bogut IS one of the best defensive players in the league. Bismack is just as likely to sink like a battleship as do anything in the pros. There is no comparison.

Bogut would have a small shot, but as LC says, its gonna be tough to win an award unless his team has a good season and I can't see it happening right now. Jennings looks like he is ready to pick up where he left off last year and they've just traded one flawed ex scoring star for another. Not to mention Skiles always seems to lose his players after 3 years.

Reply #344482 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Beantown, i dont stirr the pot. just like a good debate. i think your stirring the pot by trying to say i do.

Reply #344483 | Report this post

merry  
Years ago

MACDUB did you see biyombo's first game in comparison to Boguts :)

Reply #344512 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So you seriously think Bismack has a better chance of winning DPOY than Bogut then MACDUB?!?!

If not, then yes I call that stirring the pot!

Reply #344524 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

wtf. its called opinion mate

Reply #344659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754