Years ago

Thon Maker

Not sure if discussion on players this young is allowed, but I'd like to talk about 14-year-old 7'0" Aussie prodigy Thon Maker. Here's a few clips of the kid in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4NWmQ0PWJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzE26V7y8SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGeg2_t25o

Obviously he's as skinny as a toothpick at this stage, but he's remarkably co-ordinated for someone so tall and so young, and his hands (catching ability), touch around the basket, shooting ability and form (drained a three in the last clip), athleticism and ball handling look great for his size as well.

I don't know much about him (not much real info available on Google, despite lots of hits), other than that he represented NSW Metro in the U/16 Nationals earlier in the year, he comes from a Sudanese background as well, and that he's over playing high school ball in Louisiana right now.

Can anyone tell me more about this kid? His potential looks limitless!

Topic #27202 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

There has been a few threads on this kid. He has huge potential! The best thing about him is he looks like he is really building strong fundamental skills.

Reply #344627 | Report this post

Years ago

Yeah that's the thing that impresses me most from those highlights, his fundamentals. His shooting form, footwork and ball handling all looks so smooth for a big man of any age, let along a 14-year-old. Comes across like like a 6'8" NBA prospect coming out of college, rather than a gangly 7'0" 14-year-old.

When you hear about a kid like this (so big and so young), you'd expect them to be very limited offensively (mainly getting by on being bigger than everyone else), and quite robotic and unco with the ball in hand (think Hasheem Thabeet), but Maker looks to have the potential to really be a force on offense too. Comes across like like a 6'8" NBA prospect coming out of college, rather than a gangly 7'0" 14-year-old. Actually looks quite Ralph Sampson-esque in his body shape, co-ordination, athleticism and skillset (hopefully he has better knees though!), and could end up growing to around 7'4" like Sampson too.

Reply #344630 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If he does grow to 7 ft 4 what are the chances of him having a long career uninterrupted by injuries? Prettly slim I'd say, I hope he stops growing in 2 inches time.

Reply #344640 | Report this post

Crocs City  
Years ago

Good thing you see in these clips,he ain't like all other australian big man,he already understands go straight back up with the ball ,keep the ball above his head don't pump fake to get introuble and take that little dribble in key way,i like his potential

Reply #344647 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

14 years old. Assume Sudanese? How long was he in Oz before he left and does he have a passport? (ie eligible for us).

Some big problems atm with quality refugee kids in the football (soccer) world who leave Australia for European clubs at ages 15-17 and haven't qualified under FIFA rules to represent Australia despite having a passport (have to live in a country for 5 years to play for them if not eligible for the passport at birth). One kid who signed last year for Bayern Munich and will probably end up being 'German' for football purposes despite being Australian on paper.

What's the FIBA rule regarding this? I assume it's lax given the various Americans playing for different nations but something our basketball administrators I hope are on top of (better than our football ones).

Reply #344661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem with kids like this is how old they really are. Not saying they do it on purpose as its not important in some cultures to keep age (although there is one melb club that takes advantage of this in jnrs by altering birth certs). If a kid is 14, but actually may be 17/18, that is sooner that they will taper off. By time they get to u19s you may see 24yo type injuries etc and not alot of improvement.
It can be a short sighted way to look at any kid in juniors regardless of race as kids in teenage years develop at varying rates.
That being said, good luck to this kid!

Reply #344779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how old Bogut, Maric, Jawai or even Anderson really were as juniors. I mean they were all citizens of Australia like this kid Thon. What about those foreign tennis players also.

Reply #344789 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

? to the medico's - could a bone density test ascertain age or not?

Reply #344794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bet is that he's actually in his early 30s and has very fast metabolism.

Reply #344814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spoke to his coach of the state team from last year, he believes his age is legit
Definately not 30s. A good good prospect, see what happens, gl thon.
On a side noire note.. See his brother made aus u/19 squad.

Reply #344896 | Report this post

Tasball  
Years ago

Is Cher maker the same height?
Are they even related?

Reply #345035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they even related?

Reply #345037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they even related?

Reply #345038 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

He is a letter 'g' away from taking his name from its current status of 'very good' to 'sublimely ridiculous'.

I vote we pass around a hat around the forum and make him an offer he can't refuse to add it.

Reply #345045 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bo, I sense a potential sponsorship for Havaianas or an underwear range on offer is he does ;)

Reply #345078 | Report this post

Matur skuxx  
Years ago

Guys stop hating on this Kid!! He is a great player" and his not 30 years old, get out if here.

Reply #359393 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

i actually know people who know him , he is 19. He already graduated high school in Perth,australia. And i have seen pictures of him at his formal (he was supposedly 13 at the time). What 7th grade 13 year old's have formals ?.

Reply #368910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bob you are a knob thon maker has never set foot in perth he is 15 not 19. where is your proof

Reply #380511 | Report this post

Years ago

Maker has now transferred to a different school in the US.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/-2296631952771391767/thon-maker-former-country-day-basketball-player-enrolls-at-the-carlisle-school-in-virginia/

Reply #393838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the update Thon

Reply #393848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754