Anonymous
Years ago

1 Team per div

What does everybody think of the progressive 1 team per division.

Is it working ?

Topic #27208 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it running. I think not

Reply #344686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we want the best teams in div 1 it shouldnt matter if we have 1 or 2 teams from the same club!

Reply #344691 | Report this post

hah  
Years ago

Look at the blow outs that are occurring in u12 and u14 div 2. Kids aren't moving and div 3 looks more lop sided.

Reply #344696 | Report this post

hah  
Years ago

Look at the blow outs that are occurring in u12 and u14 div 2. Kids aren't moving and div 3 looks more lop sided.

Reply #344697 | Report this post

hah  
Years ago

Reply #344698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Want competion

Reply #344704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it the goal from basketballsa to get kids moving to other clubs over time this improves the competition and evens up the comp.

Reply #344709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes that's the rationale but the clubs with large numbers would rather have three teams in div 2 and count the money than think of promoting a competition based district scene.

Reply #344711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to play div 3 at sturt when you could be playing div 1 at south who is at fault then!! South should be out getting these kids from sturt and Forrestville

Reply #344738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to play div 3 at sturt when you could be playing div 1 at south who is at fault then!! South should be out getting these kids from sturt and Forrestville

Reply #344739 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Nothing new - the South Adelaide u/14 team I played on in the mid 1960's went on a 55 game winning streak due to this policy. Went through the first season of u/14 (Summer) undefeated with an average winning margin of 15-20 points in div 2. They changed the rules and put us up to div 1 and we still played off in the finals, being knocked out by the South "A Team" by a couple of points.

Age old problem of attracting players and keeping them is still there - both the Smyth boys played for South in U/14s but moved to Sturt for better coaching and "opportunities".

Reply #344759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tired subject. Kids and parents are not moving

Reply #344763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way you will encourage this type of movement is to relax the transfer rules during summer.

A kid who is a stand out in Div 2 in club A but is denied a spot in div 1 cant move to club B if a game has been played.

The problem is you don't know if you are a chance for Div 1 for a couple of weeks by then it's too late. you need to wait until winter by which time Team B is a settled Div 1 team and harder to break into.

Each Div 1 team should be able to put in 5 "required players" and the rest have free agency for the summer period. do this and watch the movements happen. Or maybe lock in movement to the 5 week windows.

Reply #344854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

763, is right kids and parents are not going to move and that's why a progressive,proactive controlling body is needed to zone the comp but instead we have BSA with balls the size of fleas

Reply #344875 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

How would zoning improve kids NOT moving?

Surely the clubs without recruitment and development wouldn't have anyone.

And how would you break up Forestville, Sturt and South evenly?

Reply #344877 | Report this post

tar heel  
Years ago

anon pro / rel or free agency sounds good - trouble is it is a lot of bother for the 1/2 a dozen to 18 odd players out of 100s that may want to move.

Reply #344894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then create a zone from winter 2012 and all players have the right to stay with the club they are currently playing for. From the first day of winter 2012 introduce zoned areas that dictate specific areas from which new players would be required to play for the club to which their zone applies.
That way no one has to leave the club they are with but all new players would have to play with zoned clubs.
Down the the track you would have a competition worth playing in and all clubs would be able to develop players without fear that other clubs may show interest in their flock.
It would not be hard to assign country areas to the ten district clubs nor to develop population based schemes for zones within Adelaide.

Reply #344920 | Report this post

Years ago

when my kids played, if they were zoned they would have quit - we were happy to drive further and enjoy our basketball - the local club was a back yard set up - zoning would only support poor work done by our local club, that continually made some very poor decisions.

pro/rel - yes
zone - no way

Reply #344923 | Report this post

Years ago

and further - so what if forestville and sturt have 2 div 1 teams - when this has happened previously (about 8 years ago) this was the only time our div 1 teams used to regularly beat sturt / forestville - since restricting it to one team - we have not been able to beat them regularly.

and the theory that players will go play div 1 elsewhere - probably affected 2-4% i.e. 2-3 players that shift to play Div 1 elsewhere.

surely by now the decision makers must realize that this rule did not work as well as they had planned.

in fact there are less div 1 teams in some grades than before this rule

Reply #344924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mainly because of people like you

Reply #344927 | Report this post

Years ago

put it this way - my kids were at a perennial bottom 3 club - coaches not rolling up, half baked trainings, coach not "bothering" putting us into classics the few times we made it.

= waste of fees and time - and i played junior ball myself for that club and worked my ass off as an adult volunteer.

Club actually downplayed any attempts to improve their programme 'we like being how we are" i.e. a bottom club with no ambitions.

Purely social.

We went a little bit further to a well organized top 4 club - coaches were at every training - the kids actually learnt something about basketball -
organized.

= money and time well spent.

and still had a social life with bball

Reply #344932 | Report this post

Really?  
Years ago

I think you hit the nail on the head - coaches.

Reply #344934 | Report this post

lucky legs  
Years ago

The top teams in div 2 will beat the last 4 (at least if not more) in div 1 (in the u/12 and u/14) so why not let them have 2 teams in div 2. Surely basa should be trying to keep kids playing basketball. They wont move. They will just drop out and play footy/netball etc. (it's alot cheaper per season) If your club is good enough to win and have 2 teams, keep them playing basketball. It will even out in the higher grades because then the kids can make up their own mind to change clubs. Parents will always keep their kids at a stong club with good coaches in juniors, no matter what zone they live in.

Reply #344938 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

anon #344920

The issue is, how do you divide up the area around Sturt, South and Forestville? Sturt would get all of Forestville's kids and Forestville would be left with kids from Woddville and Norwood area who would hacve to travel further to get there. And south would get kids from up the hill that are closer to Southern because Southern would have a massive area.

And then how do you organise change with time?

And then, what happens when you have someone who is an ex player. ie Father-Son, Mother-Daughter. How do you manage it when there are no actual records of who played where? Unlike football which has a limited club junior program, so basketball players have a long time association with a club without actually playing ABA. Does someone who was a president for 10 years have to have their grandkids play at aanother club?

Reply #344946 | Report this post

Tiger Wooduck  
Years ago

I never understand why a parent will take their kid out of a Division 1 team to play Division 2 or below at a stronger Club (even if they win more games.

What you miss out on when your not Division 1:

- Classics (I know it is the stronger Clubs that qualify but you certainly have no chance if your a Division 2 team)
- State Championships (reserves are not the State Championships)
- Putting yourself up against the best players
- Chance for an invite to the TI camps
- Playing under the eye of all the Coaches that have SASI or State involvement
- Better referreeing?
- Fully timed games

You give all of this up to be coached by a so called better coach or Club with a better development plan but may never play Division 1?

Most Clubs have decent coaches especially at Division 1 level and I would struggle to believe there a so many better Division 2 coaches around even at the stronger Clubs.

Honestly, if your playing Division 2 at a strong Club and believe your good enough to play Division 1 than move and test yourself.

If you have not cracked the Division 1 side in Summer than maybe you need to move and play at the highest level.

Reply #344952 | Report this post

Years ago

rose coloured glasses there mate

Reply #344955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too much is made out of this zoning. My nearest club is Centrals, but I play U16 boys elsewhere. I am so glad.

Reply #344959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

344959, have you done your research on the the coaches out there? Especially with that age group?

Done your research on the players the club has developed and playing overseas/US College and HS scholarships in the past 4 yrs?

Done your research on the club structure/facilities/academy/resources invested in player development out there?

Reply #344961 | Report this post

hah  
Years ago

People play at clubs for a variety of reasons.

Being a div 1 player doesn't really beat things like playing with mates. Friendship groups. Developing over time. Etc.

It's not like 99.9% if players will make anything financially out of it anyway.

Reply #344962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

344961, who cares about that stuff? I am glad where I am because I am learning heaps and we are winning games. Some of the Centrals guys I know says the Div 1 coach only turns up to half the trainings. Is that why we smashed you?

Reply #344963 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

anon,
centrals would pay their womens ABA team more than they would their coaching directors combined.

Reply #344971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We smashed that Centrals team as well. They can't break a press because they don't know how to pass or work as a team.

Reply #344972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We smashed that Centrals team as well. They can't break a press because they don't know how to pass or work as a team.

Reply #344973 | Report this post

Really?  
Years ago

Centrals need to put less emphasis on bragging about having a record number of state country players and putting more emphasis on getting their Div 1 teams competitive.

Reply #344979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And sturt people need to pull there heads in!!

Reply #344980 | Report this post

Rental  
Years ago

They will when you beat them.

Reply #345027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't they recently beat them in U14 D1 Boys. Sturt need to go out and do a Norwood and bring in new players from other clubs

Reply #345033 | Report this post

Rental  
Years ago

Winning 1 game doesn't beat them. Win 4 or more and that is a winning night.

Reply #345039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

REntal/#345033, it does give me a little bit of a laugh at these types; when grown adults get on here and talk smack about which junior kids won and who lost. I laugh at the lack of integrity, lack of intelligence and lack own personal acheivement in anything that would drive someone to take this activity up. I have no idea who the posters are at the other end and may be wrong but just have a think about it!

The information about kids making teams or achieving overseas is promoting sporting pathways, to grow the game and encourage other athletes to aspire to these levels. The internet is a fantastic tool to get this kind of information out there. It also helps the kids battling away in their programs away from homes to know that they have lots of supporters back home. I'd encourage clubs to do likewise.

Reply #345041 | Report this post

CreativeDirector  
Years ago

REntal/#345033, it does give me a little bit of a laugh at these types; when grown adults get on here and talk smack about which junior kids won and who lost. I laugh at the lack of integrity, lack of intelligence and lack own personal acheivement in anything that would drive someone to take this activity up. I have no idea who the posters are at the other end and may be wrong but just have a think about it!

The information about kids making teams or achieving overseas is promoting sporting pathways, to grow the game and encourage other athletes to aspire to these levels. The internet is a fantastic tool to get this kind of information out there. It also helps the kids battling away in their programs away from homes to know that they have lots of supporters back home. I'd encourage clubs to do likewise.

Reply #345042 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This topic is about 1 team per div, just let the clubs field as many teams as they can and keep kids playing basketball, and dont let teams be smashed every week, let the club put them in the right grade.

If your club does the right thing and have good coaching and admin they will attract players,and the players will enjoy their basketball.

Reply #345047 | Report this post

Rental  
Years ago

As it gives me laugh when someone uses the internet to makes rediculous clims about how good their program is based on country representaion from their club when the kids were already rep playes before entering the club. Or how they have 'arguably the best coaching line up in the state'.

Reply #345051 | Report this post

Friendship  
Years ago

Reply #345065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood have recuited very well and a good example of why they should have more teams in div 2. Look at their div 3 teams likely to have 3 or 4 in Group A. Time to let them play div 2 BSA.

Reply #345100 | Report this post

i think this is a bad move for there to be only 1 team per div. It shuts down the opportunity for the first year players to get experience in the new age group and it means that some kids with the potential to play div 1 second year will not get enough experience.

Reply #345114 | Report this post

i guess moving clubs is an option for those kids but that is a big descion for any player. It is disloyal and uncomfortable for young players, and really as an ex-player your parents should have nothing to do with making choices for them. you think you pay good money and have the utmost thought of your own child, but really, honestly if they're not playing div 1 they're shit anyway.

Reply #345115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys just don't get it. The district junior basketball scene in Adelaide is sub standard. It will continue to be sub standard while it is incapable of providing a competitive environment weekly.
More boys play than girls and more girls quit at U18 meaning the seniors accommodate too many old and weary veterans of dubious distinction.
Men have some chance of making it semi professionally if they have size and talent.
Very, very few females will make a living from the sport.
Adelaide basketball playing venues are spread out over considerable distances and this eventually contributes to drop off.
Lack of weekly competitive games increases parent's misplaced beliefs that their kids are 'really talented'.
BSA is a weak, feeble entity worshipping the god of nepotism and lacks the foresight, drive, enthusiasm and intelligence to propel a struggling minnow forward.
There are no rules.....enforced.
The club system is failing and blind, deaf and stupid people cannot understand why.
No one will kill off the dying clubs or introduce measures to save, restore and consolidate a competitive system.
When BASA provided the funds for championships, when tin sheds were enough at souths and norths and when basketball had a profile that was the time to plan ahead, to rationalise the comp, to zone clubs and introduce a professional strategy for the future.
All the shite about 1 team per division simply reinforces the overall lack of intellect in the discussion.
The district competition in Adelaide is a disgrace. The north - south is a fiasco.
U18 games at Mt Barker at 10.15 on a Friday night or U 23 at 10.30 on a Tuesday night must be the work of a superb infiltrator from Netball Australia.

Reply #345119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great point North South.

What's the point to it ? None.

1 club per div has merits.

But how is a system that says one club per div. Then says hey OK have 4 teams from one club out of 5 or 6 in Div 3 ???

Who was the fool that invented that idea ????

Reply #345160 | Report this post

Hopscotch 11  
Years ago

I dont think 1 team per div can work the way it is expressed here.
I do believe it would even the comp initially with kids changing clubs to get a game in div 1 or 2.
But it opens the possibility of top age div1 kids dropping to div 3 as bottom ages the following season, because there is only one div 2 team to fit top and bottom ages in.
That i think is in nobodys best interest.
There is nothing wrong with div 3 if you are at that standard, or i think clubs having multiple teams in it.

Reply #345176 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

119, some truly valid points.

Anyone who can put their hand on their heart and say that junior basketball in this state is healthy is living in la la land.

The gap between boys and girls participation, the gap in strength between the top and bottom clubs, and the perceived bias in the competition format and organisation are huge elephants in the room that no-one wants to resolve. Let's face it, 9:45 pm games are just too late so is it any wonder that kids, especially country kids, drop out at that level. Stadiums and facilities can be described as "ordinary" just to be kind to some of the ramshackled tin shed firetraps with moonscape carparks.

The girls competition is a farce with poor participation meaning lopsided matches. The gap between Div 1 and Div 2 is basically non-existant and the gap between “social” and Div 2 is a chasm so it is very hard for new girls to enter the sport at this level. The boys competition is somewhat more even, probably by mistake rather than good planning, but still has issues with regards to consistency. I would argue that a strong "social" player could enter a Div 2 team relatively easily.

Each competition is dominated by one club, which always has a tendancy to happen and is not necessarily a bad thing, but when one club has more teams in one division than an entire club's programme, then alarm bells should be blaring at the Association HQ.

Participation rates appear higher in Victoria and considering Melbourne is 4 times Adelaide’s population, one expects that the number of players should be 4 times more, not 8 or 10 times. (can someone please confirm the actual numbers?) The Adelaide comp should be larger than what it is and I believe we need MORE clubs, rather than fewer clubs.

Basketball is a relatively high cost sport. A Principal mate of mine at a “lower socio-economic school” relayed to me that BSA had a competition where his school was invited, but there was a cost to entry. He said that the SANFL had a similar competition which was FREE, plus they had giveaways, SANFL players there etc etc.

At the end of the day, kids need to play at the level where their skills are at. If some clubs can fill two Div 2 teams that are competitive and there is room in the comp for it, then “good luck” to those teams. However, Clubs should not behave like posh bratz and expect to have two teams regardless. The question that I believe is the real issue with all this, and that I have maintain for a while is, “How can we get more participation in the sport?”

Reply #345185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is a small country globally. Basketball is one of the largest sports on the planet! Aussie rules is one of the smallest. There is a reason why basketball is a major global sport and Aussie rules IS NOT.

Basketball needs to position itself better vs aussie rules AND other sports. There are massive advantages to playing basketball over Aussie rules. However, to compete on a cost basis is impossible for basketball just like GoKart racing can't compete with basketball on cost.

Reply #345186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Build some new stadiums that clubs own and watch the cost come down.

Should be 1 team per div max of 4 divs rest go to comps run by clubs.

If not going to do this then let Norwood U 14 Boys have two teams in div 2. No use having 3 or 4 teams in Div 3 (What a joke)

Reply #345205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

186, wrong again........afl offers a competition that is growing and each club has a list of over 40. What that means is that there is an oportunity for around 700 players to make a living which is vastly greater than basketball in Australia.How many spots at NBL do you think there are?

Basketball is not in competition with AFL it is in competition with netball for girls and soccer, hockey etc for boys.

There are no massive advantages to playing basketball over afl. There are precious few advantages in choosing basketball over most other sports in Australia and the sooner people realise that the sooner it will be rectified.

While BSA is dominated by vested interests from particular clubs whose vision is dismal and backward, basketball will flounder. Redefinition of the club system must occur but can't under the present administration.

Reply #345206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the structure of BSA? Who appoints them? What is there charter?

Reply #345207 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whoa there 207, those Q's are too deep and meaningful!

I am lead to believe that if you go to the Art Gallery on North Tce and bring a UV lamp you'll find a series of clues in a Hans Heysen that leads you into becoming a master suspect in a web of intrigue.

If you're Adelaide Olde Money, you'll know where The Adelaide Club is and know the secret password. If you're not a Bonython, Barr-Smith, Gosse, Angas or Elder, then find someone who is and after a chucka or two they might share it over a 100 year old scotch.

Watch out for an albino 7 foot centre with a penchant for whipping himself senseless.

At the end of a long trail around the leafy suburbs of Adelaide, you find a secret chamber under Wayville which was dug as a bomb shelter in WW2, where if you are lucky you'll be initiated into a secret society. (just be very careful where the goat arrives, but you'll be OK if you went to a certain private school)

Once initiated into the first level, you'll find an even more double secret chamber.

Reply #345224 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

What is the structure of BSA? Who appoints them? What is there charter?

The answer is actually on the BSA website if you can bother to do some very basic research.

Reply #345241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another pointless thread for everyone to complain in but no one provide an all encompassing solution. Everyone in basketball loves to complain, unfortunately too few actually get involved and make a difference.

Reply #345257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA certainly make a difference. Unfortunately it's not a positive one...

Reply #345377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

257, seems like a thread of suggestions to me but you obviously are employed by BSA or should be because you would fit in nicely.

Reply #345378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea BSA! Take onboard the opinion of anonymous posters in a forum... No one here has 2nd agendas or anything? No one here, sitting behind anonymity states and bull* because they are not accountable. AND NO IM NOT FROM BSA but I would be very concerned if they took on suggestions from the above.. If you do have ideas to improve things get on board or pickup the phone and ring them but also you need to be willing listen too. I've done it and came away with a better understanding of their direction.

Reply #345382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #345387 | Report this post

Go Flames  
Years ago

2 teams in Div 2 U14 Boys

Reply #345531 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754