Silverchair
Years ago

Two New Teams, Where Is The Talent Coming From

Lets get this going early, if Melbourne and Brisbane have new teams come in as we all espect please list some players who will take up the 24 spots NOT currently in the league as I don't see where the depth will come from as the league is at its weakest point in a number of years.

Topic #27226 | Report this topic

rillie rillie  
Years ago

Shaun Gleeson from QBL will sign as no.2 pg with the Bullets. Had brief blaze stint but very underrated!

Reply #345006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the league at its weakest point in a number of years? We have a very competitive league at the moment where any team can get a win on any given night.

Reply #345009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im so sick of this statement that the league is the weakest its ever been.
Bull... As said above its the most competitive its ever been & stop living in the past thinking the talent was soo good in the 90s its the story of the fish you caught that keeps getting bigger over time, not necessarily true.

Reply #345010 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Brisbane is slated as being an entrant for next season, whilst the 2nd Melbourne team is expected to enter the league the following season. this means that thewre will only be 1 extra team next season, followed by another the following season.

So for next season, just an additional 10 locals will be required + 2 imports.

A couple of European based players like Brad Newley and David Barlow could be expected to return to Australia to play. I am aware that the 2nd Melbourne based team is pursuing Barlow for the following season. These are two Boomers...

Matt Neilsen (Russia) may wish to end his career back in Oz, whilst Nathan Jawai (Russia) is receiving limited opportunities at the present time. That's another two Boomers...

Daniel Kickert (Poland) may return to Australia given the right offer and set of circumstances. Rhys Carter (Sweden) may also be a likely returnee. Who knows what Ater Majok is going to do next!

Plus there are gutys returning from DI (and DII) college in the US of A. DI seniors graduating that will be looking for their first pro contract include:

Akinpetide, Femi / F / Sacred Heart University
Duinker, Josh / F / University of Richmond
Iliadis, Trian / G / Old Dominion University
Massey, Matt / C / Southern Utah University
Steindl, Clint / G / Saint Mary's College
Tomlinson, Nate / G / University of Colorado

Steindl, Tomlinson and Iliadis are the pick of the crop and should be able to earn a legitimate spot on an NBL roster, whilst Massey and Duinker could also secure a place.

Plus there are still some quality players not getting opportunities sitting on the end of their respective team's benches, plus who knows what some of the up and coming juniors may choose to do - NBL may be the preference for some rather that college...

And the quality of players returning from college the season after continues - possible the deepest crop and most talented crop ever - with the following players expected to seek their first pro contracts:

Hodgson, Matthew / C / Saint Mary's College
Brandt, Angus / C / Oregon State University / Pac-12
Broekhoff, Ryan / G/F / Valparaiso University
Dellavedova, Matthew / G / Saint Mary's College
Diop, TJ / F / Seattle University
Ellis, Cody / F / Saint Louis University
Fisher, Daniel / F / American University
Harris-Tunks, Shane / C / University of Colorado
Heuir, Damon / G / Southern Utah University
Hickert, Jordan / F / Eastern Washington University
Kostur, Dejan / F / Idaho State University
McInerney, Liam / F / Stetson University
Motum, Brock / F / Washington State University
Muo, Mathiang / F / Charleston Southern University
Naburgs, Joel / G / Stetson University
Page, Jorden / G / Saint Mary's College
Reid, Brad / C / University of Missouri-Kansas City
Smith-Hyde, Linden / G / Nicholls State University
Vandenberg, Jordan / C / North Carolina State University
Young, Mitchell / F / Saint Mary's College

Delly, Broekhoff, Motum and Ellis are all potential NBL stars in the making if they all return. Page, Young, Brandt, Vandenberg, Muo, Naburgs, Hodgson and more could also earn spots on NBL rosters.

I think the NBL will be just fine for talent with the introduction of two new teams over the next 2 seasons...

Reply #345011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before injuries created opportunities, some of this year's players were unsigned: Holmes, Vanderjagt, Bartlett. Not sure what the story is with Trueman at the moment, but there's another.

Some talent could shift across - e.g., a player looking for more minutes and responsibility. If Rush weren't on a multi-year deal, he could be an example of this. Creek even. Generally, younger players will step into those vacant spots if the points cap doesn't allow top-tier replacements.

Of the 24 you listed, at least 4-6 would be development-level players. Four would be imports.

There are a few Kiwis out of the league who could potentially suit up after having played for the Tall Blacks - Dickel, Fitchett, Kenny. Bradshaw may already have a gig but has played NBL before. Horvath has still been playing NZ NBL. Polybank requested a points rating this year and didn't get a job.

Mottram and Vasiljevic could get spots. B Knight could've pushed through another year. Kendall is generally ignored but could get a run at a stretch. Majok even. Ryan if anyone wanted him. Carter after he's done in Europe. I dislike B Williamson, but he's out of the league right now. Janev. Harris, remember him? Scoines was alright. Joyce is training with the Hawks a bit.

Yes, a lot of these guys are out of the league for a reason but after each team's got a 10th man and a couple of imports, they only need seven players per team and many of these guys are not miles off the pace, at least not of bench players. A few could start with the imports.

The NBL will need to keep the points cap as is (and bump up player ratings) or reduce it to spread talent around. A more even distribution of players is possible with many teams struggling to find minutes for everyone as it is.

Reply #345012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see such a comprehensive post LC.
The weakest point in a number ot years.? Laughable.
Don't forget CJ Massingale. He finally might get a call up.

Reply #345013 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Are one or both teams possibly coming into the league next year (Sorry i haven't followed the story closely)?

If they are coming into the league next year I would think DJ and Creek would be huge priorities with Creek being the more likely to go.

Reply #345018 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Also if Geelong are the other team then Herbert would go.

Reply #345019 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yes there is plenty of talent given the afroementioned college players come to Australia and the players making more money abroad returning. However there is no guarantee of this happening.

Reply #345022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pie in the sky really. if bbi get a licence you shouldnt be speculating on who gets a gig but rather how much more damage it will cause to give a licence to a shabby outfit merely out of desperation. it will cause more grief in the long run for the long suffering public. nbl & flanagan in particular should not of played so much &$#@^%( politics with this !

Reply #345026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same anon every time grumbling about the Brisbane situation. Did you miss out somehow?

Reply #345029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no i did not. but if it was adelaide i know everybody would be up in arms about it. whats been going on here is common knowledge now. you cant expect people to be happy this is the best the nbl could do. put yourself in that situation & think about if you would like it happening to the sixers ?

Reply #345031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac what you unfairly call "grumbling" people here call being justifiably concerned. when things go pear shaped, there will be threads here about how much better it should of been done & everybody having something to say about it. cant win really, when people cant see a bigger picture.

Reply #345032 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I would say theres enough talent sitting on benches/training squads around the NBL at the moment. Add a couple of imports and a proven aussie player and you have a team already!

Reply #345034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The ownership group in Adelaide is pretty ragtag when it comes to basketball, they're still trying to put together a winning combination, their website is a bit ugly, the Twitter feed gets ridiculed now and then, the coach gets slammed, players cop hate, but you know what? We get to go and see NBL games and those owners are a strong reason for that.

Reply #345036 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Well said Issac!!!

We really just need to be thankful we have an NBL team.....as without the owners at each and every club we wouldn't have a team/player/coaches to sook about on this forum!

I think the more team the better if they are set up to run sustainably and if that means ala The Hawks they run to a tight budget so be it as no point spending it and winning titles to then only be in the comp for a few seasons like the Dragons!

Reply #345043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is the NBL and I think we have to accept that there won't always be perfectly experienced and perfectly cashed-up white knights hanging around waiting to get involved. Not every ownership group is going to keep every single person on side.

Anon, the reason I termed it grumbling is because this was a thread about talent level across a widening league and it's not the first time you've piped up to air gripes about the situation in Brisbane. You should understand that almost no one on here would have much of an idea what you are talking about, who Aaron Flanagan is, etc. If you're making a case for something, I'm not sure that you're making it very well. If you really care, pick an alias and put up your opinion reasonably, list alternatives, etc.

Reply #345044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get what your saying Isaac but Bris will be more like Syd in that sense, where if the ownership model is weak and already poorly treated fans arent engaged then the numbers at games will turn out like syd, not adelaide where your fans still show up.
this is a bigger city and the fans have found other things to do while bris has been out of the comp.
there is support there for a team, but only if it is has a solid framework behind it and i dont mean winning, but smart people and money behind it, yet there isnt.
i get the examples you drew, just that we know it will turn out disappointingly different here and so so much has been riding on it.
i wouldnt be the first person here to "air gripes" on something happening in another city apart from adelaide however.

Reply #345048 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Great post LC, but I reckon the debate is missing one key element, which is retirements.

For example I reckon Wollongong need a major rebuild next year - Saville (maybe) and Campbell (almost certainly) need to hang up the boots soon. Stephen Hoare? I am sure most teams have at least one player who needs to consider their future.

A lot of the College players you have mentioned will not make the grade obviously.

Reply #345050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon how about stating your specific issues?

No one on here knows who the potential owners are. No one on here knows where the team will be based. No one on here knows what flaws there are in the Brisbane model.

You seem to know more but aren't willing to share.

And if their model ends up like sydney who can draw 6,000 to a game despite the team having limited success then I'm sure Brisbane and the NBL will be very pleased.

Reply #345052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sydney had reasonable crowds last year and a great vibe at the game I went to. They drew 6k+ to a home thrashing last game.

HO, possible retirements: Bruton, Boucher, Saville, Campbell, Grabau, Hoare? Half of those guys could play on a year though.

Reply #345054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova wont play in the NBL, he will either get drafted to the NBA or go to Europe

Reply #345056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon they wont get that many. Wish that would be the case. Would get more if they hadnt done a bq & alienated [I wont call them white knights as that implies a dumb cashed up bored person] but an individual that saw a chance to do big things with it financially, ethically & morally. an anon donor to flood victims. but nbl particularly that other guy would not even show any interest in communicating. they think its about them when its about the community getting the best possible option selected. cant name names i dont want to get this person in trouble & both of these people sadly washed their hands. just very disappointed that a small group with no idea no money no business skills who even asked theis person for money but woul not show any plans [as they dont have any after all that time] got letter of support with another guy who also had no money didnt even put in a bid but was wrapped in cotton wool by nbl folk. explain the sense in that to me plz. bris are not getting the best option out there they are getting dregs dressed up as saviours who are so misled they ask alienated people for money. why not go with the guy who had the money & right ideas that someone tried to take to the nbl after doing all that work. instead that person got idiotic silence. i cant name names. ben does site had some former comittee people venting for dif reasons about lack of professionalism being territorial etc etc. but this last example that happened really takes the cake for absolute stupidity,

Reply #345070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, now more confused. Please don't underestimate what paragraphs can do for helping get your point across.

At the risk of offending, this was like having a tipsy person in a noisy nightclub explain the plot of a sitcom I've never watched without using any of the characters names.

Reply #345075 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow...

Reply #345077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

told you. cant use names. thanks for trivializing though. helps heaps.

Reply #345082 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

my eyes are still spinning from trying to read that all that.

There are few guys in the NZNBL that are decent, Lindsay Tait, Hayden Allen, Benny Hill, Mike Fitchett. Breakers have dibs on everyone else lol including most of the kiwi's who are playing college ball in the States.

Reply #345093 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

the way Motum is playing, he might be looking at the NBA! maybe a bit optimistic but the way he's playing man he's looking to do big things IMO. I think the amount of college kids coming back especially some of the talents coming in, it'd be not a problem.

just a thought, perhaps 3 imports? what'd be the cons and pros for that, maybe interesting. I know some leagues allow up to 5 imports!

Reply #345098 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'm sure Scoines, janev, ryan etc are nice guys and all but i hope Brisbane (and the second melb team if and when) do not build a sydney kings/singapore slingers type squad- they most certainly need to get 2 massive imports- a quality big 4/5 and an ervin type 1 or a 2 who scores 20+

Is it confirmed that the Bullets will be back though?

The next thing- who coaches this team (teams)? Alan Black is around, Cal/ Cj Bruton, Dean Vickerman, Stacker etc

Reply #345101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell, what i think everyone is saying those guys are capable of playing that 8th,9th or 10th roster spot.

If the Bullets do return, i assume they would look at getting at least one Aussie back from Europe, one or two players already established in the NBL, two imports and then fill the rest with younger players (college returnees or young guys showing promise in the AIS/SEABL/ABL etc), NBL guys who are looking for more opportunities and veterans.

PG- Import/Gleeson
SG- Creek/ Williamson
SF- Barlow/SEABL guy (Scoines etc)
PF- Import/ College guy (Ellis, Young etc)
C-Burtson/Vandy

For a first year that, that team could be competitive, plus with room to improve with plenty of youth.

The talent pool is fine, two extra teams will just give younger players more opportunities to showcase their skills, throughout the league.

Reply #345103 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Fair enough with your point anon. Wouldn't mind seeing some former
bullets return- weigh(technically had signed to play before they disbanded), dusty for one last season, williamson, helliwell (very very limited minutes!!!).

Reply #345108 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Also isaac- why the dislike for williamson?

Reply #345109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think he's a good person. Not kept by the Crocs for a reason, I think.

I also don't rate Ryan - I think he took the Breakers for a ride and you could see that the Kings were better with Dickel than him.

Reply #345111 | Report this post

Cold rock  
Years ago

Despite everyone sticking the boots into silver chair after 30responses there hasn't been an answer that clearly outlines otherwise. Lots of the college kids and imports will be the saviors along with more recently suggesting injured guys and has beens can get you success. Clearly shows he was right because talent and depth just isn't there. Nielsen would only play invsydney too so forget that

Reply #345113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think that's quite true. As has been said, one team is likely to be introduced first. That's 10 primary spots. Two imports, one long shot at the end of the bench. Leaves seven players, three of which need to be starting calibre.

A number of players will be out of contract at the end of the year, either hunting for better opportunities, or just unsigned (as with Holmes this year). A team with a clean slate could put the right offer to a guy like Barlow (who I can't imagine is on the same money as Ingles).

Consider that at least one reasonably high quality player is looking to jump ship (Ballinger, for example - maybe Adelaide keep DJ and Simpson and he doesn't want to come off the bench cheaper than his last contract). Or Perth want the versatility of an import and don't re-sign Nevill.

Maybe Homicide is keen. And Williamson who got injured before he played for the Sixers is ready to go.

Homicide*/Tait
B Williamson/10th man
Barlow/Scoines
J Williamson*/Knight or a SEABL thug
Ballinger/Mottram

The following year, Rush is off contract and sick of being played out of position at the Tigers, and figures he can switch Melbourne teams without moving apartment. Blalock or Braswell are interested as import point. The Cats cut Drew Williamson (already struggling to fit in Hire and Trueman) and the Hawks give up the Rhys Martin project, taking on Rhys Carter instead. Mitch Creek gets sick of missing minutes and takes the offer (Adelaide run Ng backing up Dellavedova - who takes most of what was Ballinger's money - , and Herbert spells Weigh at SF). Schenscher leaves Townsville to meet more stewardesses down the coast and team up with Blalock again, and the Crocs lure Ogilvy to replace him.

Blalock/R Martin
Creek/D Williamson
Rush/10th man
Import PF/Motum
Schenscher/Vanderjagt

Reply #345118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm concerned about where the talent is going to come from because it isn't there, it will just spread the league too thin.

Isaac, Re: the theoretical teams you've put together, those guys need to be replaced by their current teams.

The money just isn't there to be able to compete with what our best players make overseas. 9 of the 12 players from the last WC team play overseas and that doesn't even include guys like Bogut & Jawai who didn't play at the last WC.

Reply #345120 | Report this post

Cold rock  
Years ago

Exactly right to the last post, think everyone has missed that point! Take rush from melb and they need to find another player which means the league is still at the same point 24 good players short because there are players now holding spots who would struggle in state leagues over winter too. Eg Daniel Jackson, brebner, Ben Allen - you could nearly pick a fully contracted player from every team. It's time to have a proper look at the state of play, it's not all peachy.

Reply #345123 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers have Rob Loe over in college who won't be far off, Bloxham is developing nicely and Prewster won't be far behind. Eventually they will have to find room or cut them loose like Truman. Corey Webster's ban isn't forever and will look to get back in the NBL so there are a few Kiwi's who can fill a void along with the others mentioned. A lot of the players seen as bench warmers are capable of playing more minutes and improving their game with the right opportunities at the right club.

Reply #345132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heaps of talent out there. Have a look at how many of our recent junior national teams cant get a game in the NBL, or sit at the very end of the bench. Go back and almost every junior national team player used to play.

Heaps of talent out there. The level of the league might drop slightly but so what. Remember when it was average league in the 80s and 90s it was still good to watch. It's miles ahead of that now.

Reply #345134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As stated above both teams take 2 imports so we are talking 20 Aussie/Kiwi spots over 2 years. Of the 8 required in year 1 only 6 of those will play. If your able to lure back Barlow and say a Bradshaw then your looking at 4. Tait, Vanderjact, Dickel, Polybank, Williamson, McDonald, Knight, Hobba, Sturt, any number of returning college kids.......

Cant see how a team with those guys wouldnt be a far greater competative outfit than the Slingers.

Reply #345138 | Report this post

Ninja noob  
Years ago

There is no chance the new Melbourne team will be a Geelong team, no chance. Basketball in Geelong is massively segregated due to the supercats and the Geelong association, they don't have the community support anymore to fill the 1600 seat arena for SEABL games. Supercats are broke at the end of every season on the seabl budget.
The new team will be out of Knox region and will boom. Relaunching the giants or magic would be a great move by NBL.

Reply #345141 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Isnt it common knowledge that the new Melbourne team is going to be out of knox?

It was posted on the NBL website after a week of twittering/forum rumors I beleive?

Reply #345151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cold Rock, Melbourne have often barely played Rush. This was a guy who came back from Northern Europe and who was a significant contributor before he left, playing spot minutes out of position for the Tigers.

Homicide*/Tait
B Williamson/10th man
Barlow/Scoines
J Williamson*/Knight or a SEABL thug
Ballinger/Mottram

In that team above, only Ballinger would need to be replaced by the 36ers. You might've noticed that they don't actually have him right now. Could be Vasiljevic, hypothetically. In my further example, I suggested his money went to Dellavedova and Pero could be a back-up.

Blalock/R Martin
Creek/D Williamson
Rush/10th man
Import PF/Motum
Schenscher/Vanderjagt

In this team, I listed replacements for most guys coming from an active role. Hire in for Williamson, a SEABL project replaces Rush's bench role at the Tigers. Ogilvy replaces Schenscher. Vanderjagt is out of a job currently. Martin is replaced by Carter at the Hawks. In Adelaide:

Warren/Crosswell
Dellavedova/Ng
Weigh/Herbert
Simpson/Vasiljevic
Johnson/Helliwell

All hypotheticals obviously.

Where is the glaring lack of talent? Those line-ups look reasonably competitive to me. No worse than Cairns this year who have proven competitive. Better than the Kings, IMO.

HO raised retirements. Boucher/Bruton would be covered by upcoming NZ options. It'd probably be most keenly felt by the Hawks, but remember that they are playing both imports off the bench this year. Get Gruber back so they have their three bigs, maybe Coenraad starts and they run import guards. Campbell goes the first year, giving up minutes to Demos, and Saville plays a year off the bench before going. Money more than the talent pool will impact them as usual.

Just not sure what the doom and gloom about talent levels really achieves. Are you trying to justify not going to games? Pining for years past?

Reply #345152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fwiw also if the bbi outfit get that licence approved the groups working on their 5 year scaled back to 3 year plans, were told they must come under [UNDER] budget the 1st year so i wouldnt be thinking big name roster spots if i were you. they will have to go with a very lean roster years 1 & 2. as in imports around 100 - 150k mark. nothing explosive or explosive calibre players. even moreso with funding being a prob for that group. so youll need to speculate which players will fill what spots based on that.

Reply #345165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tyrell - still doing due diligence aka still giving bbi even more time to find money, while that comittee was spending their past 9 or so months picking a gm / staff & using 3 on 3 tournaments to try to generate funding etc & generally putting cart before the horse !

Reply #345166 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd guess most imports were in that $100-150k range, so that's not unusual at all, would just preclude powerhouse options like Ere.

Reply #345168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the current imports would be making more then $150k

A few are a lot below that.

Reply #345169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my thoughts on a brisbane team would be something like this

Gibson/gleeson/
import/coenraad
barlow/rush
import/ballinger
Schenscher/Vanderjagt

Reply #345171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats the max they can spend for import 1 & 2. the rest of the operation will be very very lean even to afford those spots. will have to be based out of bbi & on bare bones staff, rent, back office staff, coach, airfares, accom etc are the killer. to come in under budget they have to forego a lot. not saying adel, gong etc dont, but talking real major bare bones scrimping in all other areas of the business, & in a big town that reflects its level of appeal in getting regular support on seats. year 2 after the novelty of returning has worn off, will be financially very very interesting for them considering it wont be generating any income. only a few people will be funding it which really, according to the numbers im told, need to be 2.5 million not even counting bank guarantee. :/ very interesting times to see how nbl will justify this licence even if bank guarantee wasnt required !

Reply #345179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& im told yea knox & that bogeyman tipped his hat in the ring before heading back stateside too

Reply #345181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every club in the NBL is run like that. Cutting corners, last year Adelaide spent $100k under the cap.

Suck it up mate, it's not Groves with millions to spend buying a championship.

fact is Brisbane will have a team. Will be in the League. And will be competitive.

Reply #345182 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps some new talent will come from here:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/young-can-take-steps-to-greatness/story-e6frect3-1226232468135

Anyone who thinks Australia and New Zealand combined lack enough basketball talent for an 11-team league would have a tough time backing it up.

If you look at European countries who perform similarly to the Emus in international juniors they have 16-20 team competitions and then Div 2 comps that also have some decent talent as teams try to get promoted.

Those countries also lose a large chunk of their top players to big clubs elsewhere.

There are just too many good juniors who never get a chance to play NBL at the moment. Guys like Bartlett, Walker, Dillon etc have made it because they have stuck at it until they were 25 or 26 and finally got a chance.

We need promising players to be given a chance at a younger age and developed. There isnt massive incentive to do so at the moment.

Reply #345183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you dont get it anon. u use polar opposites to compare what other people whove sat on the committee know and have done extensive numbers on. you think other clubs like adelaide being under the cap is the same as a start up club having severe holes in it ? keep dreaming if you think no major expectations are riding on it. dont matter what is said people like you will pick vague irrelevant generalisations that dont even apply to discount it &the reality of it. sure you dont work for the nbl or bbi, bc even some associated with bbi think they are clutching at straws here so that should tell you something. im sure it doesnt though.

Reply #345193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea anon even some bbi staff think its clutching at straws & playing on the nbls desperation for a team for the ten contract, but clearly you know a lot more factual specifics of the bris situation with those polar opposite examples you gave. (;

Reply #345194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry for double post 1st one didnt show after posting so i summarised

Reply #345195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I "espect" the league will be just fine Silverchair

Reply #345196 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Sack Marty!

Oh, sorry wrong thread.

Seriously, I would be very surprised if either of the expansion teams don't go extremely hard for Creek.

I would be more than a little miffed if I was Creek and still not getting minutes when Weigh is at the four and a new kid (with some talent) blows into town and grabs a good share of minutes.

I would put DJ in the category as well. I reckon DJ knows he wouldn't be getting minutes if Ballinger wasn't out injured.

Two good young, Aussie kids for a new franchise to turn into integral pieces over time.

Reply #345203 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Spot on Paul with this commnt

"We need promising players to be given a chance at a younger age and developed. There isnt massive incentive to do so at the moment."

We need to be able to offer starting spots for the great players either coming through juniors or coming back from college.

Bose got a starting spot eventually in Kings after coming back from college and his playing some excellent basketball for them. So two more teams might actually open up a spot for young guys to fill coming back from college or AIS graduates.

Cadee comes from AIS graduate and doesn't get to start after having good Aus National Champs tournaments and good AIS games. If there were two more spots maybe he gets a chance at big minutes instead of off the bench. Creek the same as Cadee

Lots of good oyoung athletes plying trade in college and yet will return to Australia with out a spot in a 9 team league. 11 teams provides opportunities for the taking.

The problem I have with 11 teams is more around crowd and corporate support of that many teams. Australia does not have a lot of billionaires willing to loose money every year. Maybe the big 4 banks could own a team each and show they are looking to support Australian (tongue and cheek)

I think there will enough College talent in the next 4 years that will suffice two more teams.

Just as a thought: Where are some of these players of 2005/06 AIS Scholarship holders right now. Would have been interesting some of the unknown names on this list had a shot in the NBL straight after AIS or College.

Ross Allsop - Never played NBL,
Vilsbiburg (Germany)

Tyson Demos - Hawks Bench

Benjamin Dowdell - Never played NBL,
Adelaide Crows

Joseph Ingles - South Dragons Starter,
Regal FC Barcelona

Daniel Jackson - Hawks Bench

Nathan Jawai - Taipans Starter,
UNICS Kazan

Daniel Johnson - Tigers Bench

Jadranko Jusufagic - Never Played NBL,
SEABL or BIG V??

Benjamin Louis - Never played NBL,
Trialled for 36ers

Patrick Mills - Tigers Starter

Andrew Ogilvy - Never Played NBL,
Power Electronics Valencia

Shannon Seebohm - Dragons Bench

Benjamin Smith - Guest Taipans Bench in China Tour

Stephen Weigh - Wildcats Bench

Reply #345208 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Obviously I was listing the teams they first played for when entering the NBL

Reply #345209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with two more teams

Gives the young guns somewhere to go

there is enough talent to make two more teams and be competitive

I'd like to see brisbane get someone like Gorg back to coaching in aus

Reply #345269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon what are the holes? What are your issues with the Brisbane plan?

You complain that someone else is being vague yet have offered no specifics about the brisbane proposal.

Reply #345270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL yea gorg at bris. they can afford that while needing to be UNDER budget year 1 & 2. can adel or the gong afford his hefty pricetag ? i could swear some of you seriously do not think before posting. whatever i havent said is due to people being IDENTIFIED if i elaborate, not bc i didnt think before posting & not bc i dont know the deets of what happened. honestly, take that or leave it. if i say, i get shreads torn off me here anyway & if i dont i still get the same deal, so what does it matter. people here believe what they want to believe.

Reply #345307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& yea, i post & comment about bris bc i know a couple of people who were on the comittee & left it. i know what they went through during & especially after it & the tireless work one of them put in with a keen rich guy, & how this person was treated by nbl. i comment bc i know. i dont comment on things i dont know like league pass, who should play at or coach adel etc etc.

Reply #345308 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why post then? If you do it because you want to make a difference, why not at least try to present an argument that people can take something from. When you write "bbi", I'm assuming that's some initialised representation of the consortium, but that could be a typo as far as many might guess. For what it's worth, I'd prefer you post, but just realise that you need to tweak your presentation for it to be a little more coherent.

Reply #345309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what difference do you think i am able to make ?
if they wouldnt listen to a long time comittee member during or after they even found somebody, what difference am i supposed to make? and make a difference here ? how ?
not sure i even follow what youre asking me to do. what i tried to do was explain not to be so over eager to believe what the spokeseople for the 2 comittees say, its in their best interests to leave incriminating deets out ! they want the licence even if they cant maintain it or earn it fair & square. both groups & what was left of em did that.
they turned off the good few there were who dont want glory but to get the job done right. i gave some real specifics but if its not good enough then its not.
it doesnt change the situation & its reality.
i know enough to know that some real bad things happened that got in the way & should not have.
nobody relevant is willing to change anything & thats the worst part about it all.
some things are becoming known around the traps if you know the right people, but i dont have a difference to make apart from saying what i already have & that its folly to get all gaga about the bris licence, for the reasons i already gave plus more that i cant.

Reply #345314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Seriously mate, your posts are nothing but an incoherent ramble!

Reply #345315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok yea whatever.

Reply #345316 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

FWIW I think there is sufficient talent in the NBL, SEABL/State leagues/NZNBL and college ball to estabish a competitive 10th team next year without cannibalising other teams. I have doubts the same could be said for the following year. Too soon.

I also have doubts in the League's ability to support the introduction of two new teams in such a small window of time but that's a different thread.

Re the Brisbane posts by Anon, they sounded interesting at first but tailed off in objectivity. A simple "I'd love to tell you more but I can't" would have been sufficiently provocative. The posts don't seem overly detached from the situation which has compromised the value of the posts overall.

Sounds like a bit of a storm is brewing in Brisbane and the NBL continue to stir. Of course a rebuttal would be timely too.

Reply #345324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pardon you big ads but i did already say there wasnt much more i could say in a public forum, early on in the piece. was fairly upfront about that.
not detached from the situation ? compromised the value ? now youre making me laugh. waste of time to post anything here going on outside adel. like i already said & wouldnt be the 1st, people believe what they want to believe no matter what gets said so why even bother say anymore in details past that.
if you guys in adel dont know [& youve said you dont] then a statement to discredit it, & claim anything about it has lost its value is just junk, soz.

Reply #345389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be behind the times but has any answer been given on what bid won from Melbourne?
I thought decision from BA was prior to xmas.Rumour only but hear that not all is well with some of the bids and possible new bid being put on the table with old boy ties...
Rumour only but where there is smoke there can be fire

Reply #345398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive not heard that but im happy to say just bc im not familiar with it doesnt mean it isnt true. last id heard from a few in regular contact with nbl cronies is the knox one is in the bag. in regards to new bid with old boys ties nothing about this whole set up surprises me anymore. amateurs puffing out chests at best. not sure mate if that was parties 1 & 2 from bris or melb that applies to or even both. its always amusing how big the parties & nbl talk until due diligence comes around then all the [obvious] cracks become apparent to them !

Reply #345668 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Neither of the Melbourne bids have been approved, however the group working under the 'Camouflage' name have publicly stated that their bid is not the one under consideration, so therefore it must be the bid to play out of the new state basketball centre at Knox. Other details have not been so forthcoming at this stage.

Reply #345770 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bogut is apparently linked with the Melbourne bid that is currently the preferred option.

Reply #345773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bogeyman put money into the knox venture right ? [pretty sure it was them]

Reply #345777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jungle drums are beating that a third Melbourne bid has been put on the table...Rumour
This is reason for delay on any announcements

Reply #345788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there will be three melbourne teams in three years time if BA get their way.

Reply #345798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they could not of put in a bid this late honestly. they had to be in by some date over a month ago but i forget when the date was that i was told at the time. no way anybody could get that much work done in logistics to be ready for so soon. that would be akin to a 3 year old kid beating usain bolt in a 100 metre sprint race.

Reply #345805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would definately love to see another melb team pronto though just really doubt the board can approve a licence that fast, & with not anywhere near enough prep work done. reason for delay is meant to be due diligence but its for bris to find desperately needed funding.

Reply #345806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne team 2 years away...Ba may change what and when they do things..How will we the public ever really know.The bids were never made public.Whose to say they dont open up the bidding again if the people with history and contacts are now fronting it

Reply #345810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bc its closed for 12/ 13 season. was told its 12- 18 months planning, development & implementing stuff for a licence. but you could be right in some strange way as the nbl does work in very strange ways indeed.

Reply #345826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the people with contacts to money, [who were interested] & the few who nbl & the 2 bidding teams DIDN'T piss off along the way, are not on communicating terms ! that was most of the problem at the time - the nbl would not communicate like petulant children ! as far as everybody knows up here there are no other contacts to money - apart from dealing with those they refused to deal with for no justified reason. i wonder if they will go back with their tail between their legs for the greater good but we arent taking that to the bank !

Reply #345827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754