HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 13

Ok, so we've now passed the half way point of the season and the end of 2011 crowds were pretty good IMO (can't comment on the crowd at The Swamp though, not even an e-mail from me to the TEC management or the Crocs has produced a crowd figure)

Kings vs 36ers - 6,165 @ SEC (59%)
Hawks vs Kings - 4,016 @ WEC (67%)
Taipans vs Breakers - 5,289 @ CCC (100%)
Blaze vs Tigers - 4,255 @ GCCC (81%)
Crocodiles vs Wildcats - Unknown @ TEC (?%)

Second biggest Australian crowd of the season at the SEC last Friday night and well done to not only the people of Sydney for showing up but to Kings management for getting that many people through for what was 7th vs 8th. Only 10 people less than the 36ers vs Tigers clash nearly 2 months ago, not bad.

Biggest crowd of the Hawks season for the loss to the Kings (who were hammered 24 hours earlier.....and probably hammered a few of hours later too :P ). I know it was a local derby as such and I know it was New Years Eve but maybe the message to the NBL is don't schedule so many Hawks home games on a Sunday.....and don't televise so many. Might mean more bums on seats at the WIN Ent Cent (unless the Hawks continue to loose).

The Cairns Convention Centre has a capacity listed (for basketball) at 5,300 so essentially the posted figure of 5,289 is a capacity crowd and an increase of 910 since the Breakers last visited in November. Once again the people of Cairns continue to show up other much larger markets.

The crowd on the Gold Coast to see the Blaze and Tigers was pretty good IMO. Over 4,000 in this league is good (if you have a venue to do that.....looking at YOU MELBOURNE.....) and for the Blaze the crowd is almost downright fan-bloody-tastic.

What Can I say about the crowd at The Swamp on Saturday night other than (as stated) not even e-mails to the Centre management or the Crocs has produced a crowd figure. With the TV camera's inevitably showing OneHD's favourite team winning down on the Gold Coast and having seen only a few images online.....I'm going to have a guess and say about 4,000 or so were there to see the league's tallest Centre (Nevill) take on the leagues 2nd tallest Centre (Big Red) with Nev leading the `Cats to a good away win.

Ok there you have it, all games saw very healthy crowds for the end of 2011 and it was great to see, especially in Wollongong and on the Gold Coast.

On your way out please tick the "I am going to the 36ers vs Taipans game on Saturday night" box and not the "No I won't be attending" box (please note there is NO 2nd box to tick.....hehehe)

Topic #27230 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good write up as usual and great to see a healthy round of crowds at all venues. Without taking into account the unknown figure for Townsville (avg 3600ish), this must be the first time all games got over 4000 - and not bad considering Adelaide and Perth were away.

Reply #345095 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks for liking my weekly rant there Anon :)

Considering that three of the rounds games were hosted by the three teams who usually struggle to draw a decent home crowd then it was a pretty good weekend for the NBL attendances, even if no one know's how many people showed up to The Swamp on Saturday.

Hell, if both Wollongong and the Gold Coast can post 4,000+ crowds on the same day there is hope yet.

Reply #345106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBL website now has the Townsville attendance at 4781, which I am told is their biggest regular season crowd in five years!

That has the round average at something like 4900 which is a very good one.

Reply #345252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good crowds last round. Good work by HoldenV8, keep up the weekly updates please.

Reply #345281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think the home team has a lot more pressure on it when they play in front of a big home crowd? Only 1 team won at home last round despite the big crowds.

Kings and Sixers typically struggle at home (ok being crap doesn't help) but draw the biggest crowds, and last week Townsville lost a rare home game by 20 in front of their biggest crowd in 5 years!

Reply #345288 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754