Isaac
Years ago

Maher: Chris Warren gets screwed by refs

"Enough is enough," Maher said. "It's not as though it isn't obvious. Chris has to put up with a lot of contact and not all of it is legal.

"It is a credit to him that with his demeanour, he never shows any frustration with it and maybe he needs to if he wants to draw attention to it."
Full story

Boti also gets comments from Clarke and the NBL, former unable to say much without getting fined, the latter not giving up anything either.

Ervin did have more muscle to him but I think two differences would be that he penetrated more and that he wore that 'taking contact' grimace in the paint which maybe draw sympathy from refs. Warren is out there with a mask, no matter the situation. Would love to see him explode for 25+ and fire up - he's played well enough to deserve one of those outings.

Topic #27231 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I think its the beard.
Refs see the beard, and subconciously they think
that guy can take care of himself without my help.

A lot of fans now though are going to watch Cris more carefully and rightly so. He uses his speed to get out of trouble, but he should not have to do that when he is bumped.

Reply #345150 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He's such a quiet little guy . He cain't growl . Instead of being the angry young man that screams out,
he stays silent and takes it out internally.

Reply #345154 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He's a bit like Humphrey....doesnt talk.

Reply #345156 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Warren looks like James Harden from the Thunder especially with those beards.

Who disagrees?

Reply #345163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has he got a tatt on his throat under the beard? If so, anyone know what of?

Reply #345167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its awesome, thats 'what of'!!!!

Reply #345170 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

It's a tattoo of a beard.

Reply #345172 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bahaha ShaneD!

Reply #345180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shane, nice!

Reply #345187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kinda did read like an article just to make up Boti's quota.

Boti ring's Maher "Hey Brett, I'm writing an article about Warren getting screwed by the refs, what do you think?"

Maher "Nah mate I think they're looking after him alright"

Warren doesn't go to the hole anywhere near as much as Ervin did so don't know why Boti mentions him.

Reply #345198 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Maher was a good player in his day. Quality.

Reply #345201 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Nagy's writing has curiously become esoteric , not engaging many readers these days.
Bucks on the bus , Bogut . 'Good luck , and have a nice trip .' Offers more of interest to a broader range.

Reply #345211 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Doesnt matter what Boti writes there will be poster here ready to slag him.
Warren stats compared to Ervins was a fair way to make point as Warren certainly does not get the fouls deserve.
Needs to shave beard or act more.
Brett is not type of person that will make a point to get name in paper.

Reply #345214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost choked on my dinner there btm

Reply #345216 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Warren is will-i-am

Or that guy from deuce bigallo the man whore eating food in the spa, ha ha too many beers still on holidays

Reply #345227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon re Boti's inspiration from the article, I just assumed he'd been speaking to Maher about something else at some point, this came up, and he wrote it down as a story idea. Warren doesn't have much fall his way with the refs so it's nice to see Maher stick up for him.

Basketball in the newspaper either way.

Reply #345246 | Report this post

forcey33  
Years ago

Warren gets some treatment bringing the ball up, but yeh, not a frequent visitor to the paint on drives like Ervin was

Reply #345247 | Report this post

boohoo  
Years ago

Even if he was getting calls it's a great way to remind the referee's that hey maybe he isn't. The only problem is that unless this article is on the nbl website or distributed to the referee's then they would be none the wiser.
It has worked for cairns & townsville in that the referee's manager had come out and stated that clearly the mills flop was a poor call and that mims from townsville had been on the end of some really soft calls.
Unless adelaide go to the nbl stating that they think warren doesn't get protected then this article will just fall on deaf ears. The club should follow it through if they want action. Only problem is the referee manager has already come out in the press stating he doesn't think warren gets rough treatment!!

Reply #345258 | Report this post

imonawinner  
Years ago

isaac, how easy is it to see his fouls for & against for the season? if there is a big discrepancy between the two then may help adelaides case.

Reply #345283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Sporting Pulse numbers show that. Also don't think a discrepancy would really give us much - someone like Maher, for example, would've been fouled a lot more than he fouled. Come to think of it, he had a pretty good agonised "I'm being fouled" face too.

Best thing Warren can do to get the calls is take it inside in controlled situations and maybe exaggerate contact.

Reply #345290 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Can the refs read????????

Reply #345339 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754