Neo
Years ago

WNBL moves away from the 'bodysuit'

THE WNBL is set to slip out of the bodysuit and slop back into shorts and a shirt.

Believing the figure-hugging bodysuit has run its race, WNBL officials have been working with a uniform manufacturer on designs for the season that tips off in October.

Considered daring when it was introduced, the bodysuit became a signature for Australian women's basketball, especially the Opals when they played around the world.

Yet in a move with the times, the WNBL has decided the shirt and shorts look should supersede the bodysuit, which will remain the Opals' uniform, at least for this year.

"We're working through it and we're hoping to have something soon for the teams to test," WNBL general manager Lorraine Landon said yesterday.

"Hopefully that will be within the next month and they'll be ready for the season.

"We've had the bodysuit since 1994 and we've been served well by the bodysuit. It's worked well, but it's time to look at something else."

While the bodysuit left little to the imagination when showcasing the athletic female form, the WNBL is conscious of making the new uniform attractive and stylish and not a frumpish shirts and shorts look.

The WNBA seems to have generated a good look with its uniforms, which combined the ability to offer fans replicas and boost the teams' and league's marketing potential.

"We've never had merchandise for young girls to wear and this is an opportunity to do that," Landon said.

"But we don't want them to look like men."

Topic #2724 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Today's edition of The Advertiser features a similar story an contrasts pictures of Laura Summerton (bodysuit) and Leah Mencel (Lightning's shorts/singlets uniform for the China tour).

Reply #30734 | Report this post

Bootlegs Buddy  
Years ago

Just one more reason not to watch womens' Basketball......

Reply #30739 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Laura Summerton, Kamala Lamshed & Kylie Jordan not in body suits! I think ABC viewing figures will plummet!

Reply #30746 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think that the Bodysuit brings crowds initially and then the people get into the game itself. But no bodysuits will I think lead to less people turning up initially or not tuning into the ABC

Reply #30759 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Back to using our imagination boys! :-)

Reply #30763 | Report this post

charles  
Years ago

Bad luck they showed Leah Mencel in a uniform which would even look big on Paul Rees.
Surely they're joking if that is the correct "size" for her.

Reply #30766 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Playing against other girls in bodysuits is really bad. Like, an armbar slips off if the chick is a tiny bit sweaty. I don't think that body suits in the WNBL any that are too bad, but playing in the local comps, ABL and Reserves, I don't agree with them. Especially with some teams wearing them and others not.

Reply #30793 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

it's all a fashion thing as well - it all works in cycles.

look at the wnba web site - it has a column "what to wear to the draft"

go with the flow - enjoy it for what it is worth

and prey div 4/5 women do not go to body suits !

baby got back !

Reply #30885 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

why not go for the crop top?

Seriously, it should really be the players association (is there even one for the girls) that should have the most say on what they will/wont be wearing, not based on merchandise or what looks good. But based on what the players want to wear.

Reply #31201 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The singlet and shorts are ideal but for women, the top should be cut to a more feminine design. The singlet top should be shorter and worn over the shorts but should be tapered in at the waist emphasising a women's figure of narrow waist and broader hips. It could have a concealed zipper on the side to allow for ease of dressing.

Reply #31204 | Report this post

Emma-Lee  
Years ago

Bootlegs Buddy needs to get a life if that's why he watches women's basketball!! As a player who grew up watching and admiring the WNBL players I think it's fantastic that we'll finally be able to buy players jerseys! Also the bodysuits must leave a lot of players self-concious about there bodys as lets admit, it's all on show! Bring back a neat shorts and shirts uniform!

Reply #31242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the cutof the north womens singlet is mucchh better then what there is now. its more feminine

Reply #31247 | Report this post

lynn  
Years ago

if you read the artical again you will read 1 glairing point.

The only reason that they are getting rid of it is because they cant SELL it to young girls.

Hell i love the bodysuit. Its damn comfy and less to worry about. (eg shorts falling down mid game...yes had that happen)

personally think that all grades should adopt the bodysuit as it would encorage more people to come to the lower div games also. like someone said even if it is for the perv value at the start. Worked wonders for womens netball :P

Reply #33954 | Report this post

kerry  
Years ago

well i for one am very disapointed in the fact that again a decision has been based on marketing and not on comfort.

Vote 1 Bodysuits :)

they look good (sorry to all you old school players that say back in my day but as a 15yo who used to admire the opels in their suits and dream of one day being one of them i feel saddened to know that i may never get the chance).
Whats wrong with marketing a warm up suit?
Its not like you see girls wearing their uniforms all the time out side of the game, a tracksuit on the other hand is something completely different.

i know im digging up an old thread or lost cause here but i only just found the site.sorry

Reply #35792 | Report this post

Hayley  
Years ago

the shorts an t-shirt rock!!!
they look good and they r not tight so the players arnt self concious

Reply #60228 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

if ur in the wnbl ur gonna be fit anyway, i dont think they will be that self consious

Reply #61328 | Report this post

ausfans  
Years ago

i wanna buy the Australia woman basketball team's cloth, it's tight close-fitting. which in beijing Olympic Games them wear.

i find in internet everywhere but can't find.
this connect
http://www.basketball.net.au/fs_Products.asp?id=8&orgID=1&Oname=BA&O1c=8&O10c=3

also did not seems the same tight one,

iam eagering to buy it!

help me!

Reply #197321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754