Isaac
Years ago

Sixers roster news in The Advertiser

We all know that Rychart, Holmes, Forman and Hill are contracted.

Phil Smyth is looking to sign Mark Nash to a game-by-game contract that would see the club safeguarded should Nash again struggle with injury. I understand that Nash is confident of his physical strength and (assuming a better offer doesn't emerge) is happy with this arrangement.

On Talking Hoops, Smyth said that he had a verbal agreement with Brett Maher. Willie Farley is closer to signing and that a deal with David Cooper was "close to done".

Darren Ng will take this year off to concentrate on his medical studies, and Smyth has his eyes on Brendan Mann as a back-up guard.

Maher/Mann?
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Nash?
Cooper/Rees?

Topic #2725 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

We need another versatile swing man with size. Ben Castle, Stephen Hoare...

Reply #30741 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I dunno Doctor, that side there is looking pretty good. With those players if all goes well, would we have much cap room left?

Reply #30747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoare is going to NZ. Castle would be an option if they didn't take Nash. If they don't go for Rees, then we need someone to back-up Cooper, definitely.

Reply #30753 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think we need someone to back up Cooper anyway. Poor old Reesy will try his guts out but I think he is just a little too old now to be a consistent back up. Sure he may play a couple of good games here and there but we need someone we can rely on week in and week out

Reply #30764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They needed to sign Hoare, would have been a hell of a signing, such a underated player!

Brendan Mann? He is still going round? Always liked his effort, but undersized, in my opinion

Reply #30765 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

I'm a bit worried that it took so long for the sixers to make an offer to Nash .
With the BASA sanctioned low budget are we putting together a championship team, or a lighter anchor for BASA to float ?

We missed out on Hoare / MacDonald/ Castle ? / Bradtke($$)/Copeland/ Darnell so we decide to sign Nash AFTER he has committed to move to Hobart for about what he would have asked for in the first place ?????

I think Nash is a good player and if he is healthy a great asset to the team ... but why dick him around and make it look like (to the fans) that he was just a last minute option? Boti keeps talking about 'the product' .. are the 6er's being real?

Still no Cooper or Farley ... i would have thought that Cooper would be settled by now at least ! Surely Derek Moore will be scouted by other clubs, so if Coop doesnt sign looks like Oscar and Jacob will be playing 5-4 !!

Reply #30808 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bit of a worry when they let go a player, and then attempt to sign him to a game-to-game contract that is considered injury prone, and the player that they are targetting is even more injury prone.

I don't think Mann has played a whole season for about 4 seasons now. That was when we has with Canberra

Reply #30881 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Ordinary treatment of a great guy. He's got a wife, child, and another kid on the way very soon, and they "dick him around" (good terminology, SKYHOOK!) this way.

Nashy - tell 'em to shove it and move to another club ..... like the Pioneers perhaps!

Reply #30884 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As much of a nice guy that Nash is, it is not going to be the answer to a championship next season. If only the Sixers would spend right up to the cap which they are entitled to do and not try to stay 10-15% below, then they probably could get a decent player. I would rather Moore than Nash. Nash's salary plus Rees' salary plus the extra 10-15% would probably cover Moore's salary. Come to think of it, it may have come close to Bradtke's salary. I doubt that Brisbane have offered $175K.

Reply #30910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754