Isaac
Years ago

Is Rubio beating expectations?

13/6/14 today against the Wizards. Averaging 9, 4 and 7 off the bench. 52% FG and 50% 3P.

Have to admit that I've started checking for his stats before I look up Bogut's at the Bucks (or in recent cases, check to see if Bogut's back in action).

Topic #27256 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bust.

Reply #345554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say exceeding at this point. Ridnor is still starting however Rubio is getting equal or more minutes and getting a lot in the 4th quarter. Be interesting to see what happens when Burea gets back into the rotation - this may impact Rubio's minutes. The thing with Rubio is that he has been a professional for a lot of years now so the adjustment is not as big as if he was maybe straight out of college. I'd say it won'te long until he is starting. T-Wolves are putting together a pretty ecent team IMO

Reply #345563 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting, because he had a down year in Spain last year. From the highlights Ive seen the more open game in the NBA is perfect for his skills. How's he going defensively?

Reply #345570 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Saw some numbers on the T-Wolves shooting % and points pre possession when he's on the floor. Definitely makes his team better and he's fun to watch.

Reply #345572 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

You'd expect he will be starting soon and once Barea is back you'd think Barea would come off behind Rubio as an impat players similar to Dallas last year with Ridnour to be traded as he is to good to be a Back-up only.

Reply #345575 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

In almost all of the games where Minny has started poorly (Bucks and Wash come to mind) he has righted the Minny ship when it has been floundering. To get that from a rookie - a rookie point guard no less is quite extraordinary. The kid plays like a seasoned pro (might be cause he already is).

So far he is looking like one of the centerpieces of a strong team going forward.

Reply #345586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thought he'd be a bust - it looks like i'm wrong

Reply #345595 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

given the amount of hype that surrounded him, he's doing OK...would say beating expectations.

conversely I've been pretty impressed with Kyrie Irvin and John Wall is starting to seem pretty shaky

Reply #345607 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Barea and Rubio - "Los Dos Lobos".

Has surprised me.

Reply #345613 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, Rubio is proving the doubters wrong. I hadn't really seen him before this season so I didn't know what to expect, but he has barely put a foot wrong so far. He looks VERY assured for a rookie PG and surely must get the starting job soon. Minny has been my favourite team to watch so far this season. Looks like Kahn did something right after all. (Love for Mayo is looking like a helluva deal right now too. Not so good for the comedy factor though - would have loved to have followed the Gay-Love Grizzlies era down in Memphis!)

Reply #345614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is great to watch! So composed for a rookie. After a few down years in Europe (shooting % was shocking) he has exceeded my expectations, but Paul is right, his game is suited to the NBA (pick and roll, fast paced open court game).

Tough position to be in for Wolves coach, Ridnour is solid and can provied some vet leadership, but Rubio and Barea are close to breaking out to be very good players. They have ran both Luke and Ricky together at patches so maybe keep that up?

Defensively, hes been OK, does get beaten by quicker guards, but hey, even the best players do. His passing, court vision, enthusiasm and game play outweighs any slump defensively in my opinion.

Reply #345615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rubio is already twice the defender ridnour is..

Reply #345632 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think Rubio is slightly ahead of the expectations so far, but those expectations were probably lowered slightly due to the poor season he had for Barca last year.

That having been said, it could also be argued that the free-flowing nature of NBA basketball is a much better fit for his natural game than the slow halfcourt grind of the Spanish league.

Reply #345638 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Reply #345673 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

would probably try trade Beasley for a shooting guard. then it be a pretty decent roster

Reply #345708 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

He is going to cause problems for teams at the Olympics :(

Reply #345833 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I'd the wolves are ruining the expectations I had of him. Was expecting him to be coming in as a starter, and getting some more minutes. He could be doing so much more for the team

Reply #345839 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

It was smart of Rubio to stay in Europe for two years in Europe gave him time to mature and work on his game. Peja Stojakovic stayed in Europe for two years after being drafted by the sacramento kings as well which benefited him.

If darko milicic and Nikoloz Tskitishvili had done that things might of worked out different. I know that Tskitishvili was asked by the Nuggets to stay over in europe for a couple years to develop before coming to the NBA but he refused.

Reply #346010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754