HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 14

Round 14 has come and Round 14 has gone and so far only one team has actually played 14 games (Wollongong). The Crocs and The Blaze have only played 13 games while both Melbourne and Sydney have actually played 17 games.

Wildcats vs Tigers - ? @ CS (?%)
Kings vs Blaze - 4,915 @ SEC (47%)
Hawks vs Crocodiles - 2,902 @ WEC (48%)
36ers vs Taipans - 6,194 @ AA (77%)
Tigers vs Breakers - 3,500 @ SNC (100%)

This time the Wildcats/NBL/Challenge Stadium haven't even given us an 'approx' crowd and having sadly missed last Friday nights replay I'm only guessing and will say that they probably had at least 4,300 at The Jungle? Either way I doubt they had less than 4k there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, while only 47% of a venue being filled doesn't look great for the NBL, you have to remember the SEC is the league's biggest permanent venue at 10,517 seats and who can deny that a crowd of just under 5,000 isn't a good crowd, especially for the Kings and Blaze?

Well, there it is. A Saturday night in the `Gong and still they can't crack 3,000. I know the Hawks are on a losing streak right now which would be killing crowds but seriously..... IMO there is another reason for the lack of crowds at the WIN Ent Cent and that's the fact that all Hawks home games bar Rd's 2 & 13 have so far been televised by One. Why go when you can stay home in comfort and watch at home, especially when the Hawks are losing.

What can I say about Adelaide's crowd on Saturday night against the Taipans? Brilliant? Great? Wish I had been there myself? All 3 I think. A crowd of 6,194, or 77% of the 8,000 seat (yeah, right.....) Adelaide Arena is a great effort by the people of Adelaide. Unfortunately the crowd once again went home unhappy thanks to the 36ers inability to consistently win at home while most of the crowd were seemingly more pissed with the exit from the car park than losing the game.....

Both times the Breakers have visited Melbourne this season they've drawn a capacity crowd to the State Netball Centre. Still makes me wonder about the wisdom of playing in such a small venue. But what alternatives are there in Melbourne that are indoors? The Glasshouse is no longer an option while Hisense and Rod Laver Arena's are too expensive. Are the Tigers waiting for a roof and an extra 1,500 seats to be put on the 6,000 seat Margaret Court Arena somewhere around 2014? I've heard that rumor before.....

Ok, so there it is. The second round in a row where we haven't got one crowd figure and Adelaide again tops the biggest Aussie crowd of the year while Wollongong continue to struggle to draw more than two cousins and their neighbours dog to a home game.

Topic #27269 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

4300 for Challenge would be a good estimate.. standing room tickets only again, and there seemed to be alot of people standing.

semi-related link:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/12534035/cats-have-grand-new-home-plan/

Reply #345800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, we are pissed at the car park and the team. Don't tell me who and who I am not pissed off at.

That aside, good work doing these crowd figures week by week. Love it and it's appreciated.

Reply #345802 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wasn't trying to tell anyone who they are pissed at and who they aren't so sorry if I gave that impression to you. I do appreciate being pissed at both. The 36ers losing again at home is bad enough without inept car park attendants who seemingly went to the Cadet Hooks school of Traffic management (for those who remember the original 'Police Academy' movie and the scene where she is creating chaos as a traffic cop)

And thanks for the compliment :) Its nice to know people read and enjoy this.

Reply #345808 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Great work V8, really enjoy your weekly numbers updates, always is a great read and insightful for those of us who are into the numbers side of things. Keep up the fantastic work.

Just imagine if the sixers could consistently win!!!

Reply #345821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said there was between 6 and 6half at the Adelaide game!

Reply #345822 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I was at the 'Gong game. That figure is fair generous.
The Perth game looked (on TV) close to sell out as usual.

Reply #345829 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Im a cats member and it was pretty full, standing room was full, a few empty seats here and there, my estimate would be 4300 as well

Reply #345830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings:

Round 14
Fri - Perth Wildcats v Melbourne Tigers, N/A
Sat - Wollongong Hawks v Townsville Crocs, N/A
Sun - Melbourne Tigers v NZ Breakers, 26,000

http://www.michaeldifabrizio.com/nbl-tv-ratings

Reply #345840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never understood your fascination with percentage of capacity.

Especially when you have no idea on what the actual capacity of venues is and are relying on outdated and very inaccurate information you've pulled off the net.

Interesting discussion to have but you're stats aren't accurate and you speak like you're th voice of the people, it's quite annoying.

Reply #345874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Percentage of capacity shows, for the smaller venues, that 3490 in a 3600 seat venue isn't abysmal. Those final seats could be $120 platinum or something. It's not an obsession, just more information.

This is a fan of the game doing their best with the information that's available. If you want to throw out your anonymous criticism, maybe direct it at the league, clubs and venues for not doing a whole heap to provide accurate information? On at least one occasion, this person has tried to chase up a club and venue for info and (from memory) heard nothing back.

This individual doesn't speak like they're the voice of the people, just like they're the only person on this site putting up something for those interested and doing it regularly. If you have more accurate info, by all means join in. Otherwise, maybe go easy on someone trying to contribute something to social discussion about Australian basketball with the best intentions.

Reply #345877 | Report this post

Jules  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac!

Reply #345879 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, you pretty much hit the nail on my head ;)

You know, people are entitled to their opinions, be it me or anyone else. But no one is forced to read any of this, if they don't like it then why read it? And to the anon, if you have something to contribute that is more accurate then by all means please contribute and that is for anything be it venue capacity (which I've been going by the venue's own websites for and not other sources that tend to vary in accuracy), the crowd figures given or anything in general connected to the NBL's attendances.

As for speaking like the voice of the people, I'm just speaking as myself and again if people don't like it they don't have to read it.

Oh and one more thing, there is no need to tell me I'm quite annoying, I'm the youngest of 3 so I've got annoying down to a fine art :P

Reply #345908 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Oh just one more thing, something I have not yet done in any of these and should have done so much earlier than now.....

To the anon who keeps posting the TV ratings here...thanks and keep it up. After my post its something I look for every week :) Its nice to know how many people watch the televised games. I wonder what percentage of the people watching the Hawks home games on the box are from the `Gong? And going on what natwhereyouat informed us maybe there is reason to question the crowd figures the Hawks give?

I'm glad I was somewhat accurate in guessing the Perth crowd but considering their average its not rocket science is it lol I mean even a dummy like me didn't need acute mental exhaustion to guess 4,300 :P

Reply #345909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl website says 4200 in Perth. Do you have another source for crowd figures? Ausstadiums?

Reply #346009 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers are on the right track to selling out for the Sixers game on Friday. Early yesterday the Breakers FB page was saying there's only about 300 tickets left.

Great post Issac and keep up the good work HoldenV8, I enjoy your threads and the info contained

Reply #346022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754