Anonymous
Years ago

Next Kings Coach

Who does every1 thing should be the next Sydney Kings coach....
after The kings & moose part ways probably at the end of the season coming to a mutual agreement or mooses work/ travel commitments getting in the way.

There are a lot of local guys who could step straight into the role & be sucessful...
first and foremost current u/19 aus coach Damien Cotter,
former aus assistant and nbl coach B jOyce (though ppl dont like him, he is actually a very good coach), & current NITP & gold medal winning coach Mark Watkins are just a few guys that come to mind.

It does beg the question why go with moose in the first place? however now that it is too late & it would appear that a change is immenent before next season. who do you think should be given the raines, should it be one of the locals listed above, somone tried and test i.e. stacks or molloy, or should it be someone from left feild??

Thoughts pls.

Topic #27270 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marty Clarke might be up for the challenge

Reply #345828 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

I'd like DMAC involved some way. he wasn't a bad coach IMO in the short 10 games and probably deserve a chance.

personally not a fan of hiring junior coaches to coach senior level. if those coaches want to they can work up the ranks by been an assistant at elite senior level first and work their way through.

I think Marty Clark shows the lack of experience when dealing senior sports team.

Reply #345831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just curious who put clarke in anyways, was it a unanimous decision at the time or was one or a select few influentials given a long lead to call in favours owed etc. anybody think the kings might go for westover or is he still under contract in china next season ? def no no is gorj they will go bust again.

Reply #345834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joyce a senior coach his whole career
Watkins ais, the nbl & seabl
Cotter successful seabl head coach at 27

Plus I hate your argument, marty may have been somewhat inexperienced as far as coaching in the nbl, but to say junior coaches can't be head coaches is a joke imo

Reply #345835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings need someone cheap but effective

Reply #345836 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

At the moment Joyce would be the front runner. Damian Cotter isn't a strong character and couldnt handle the NBL Pressure and dealing with professional players! Mark Watkins shouldnt even be considered after such a dismal performance when he was coaching the Razorbacks! Stacker will do a great job at the AIS guiding young talented players to a bright NCAA or NBL future.

If the Kings owners make the horrible decision to leave Moose as coach until the end of this season they then should be looking at this very moment for potential coaches assuring Kings fans next year they will hire a coach that will direct the team to the finals and play with INTENSITY every game!

That coach should either have recent NBL coaching experience or be a former NBL players with NBL coaching experience and the assistant coaches MUST have NBL coaching experience!

Others to consider for the Kings position..
Phil Smyth, Scott Ninnis, D Mac, Andrew Gaze,
Bruce Palmer, Brad Rosen, Guy Molloy, Warrick
Giddey, Bruce Bolden, Shawn Dennis,

Last point! Textbook coaches who learnt their coaching from reading basketball books cant lead a NBL team to a GF!

True

Reply #345837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian is on big money in China & supposedly Westover is doing alright in Japan.

Reply #345841 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mark Dickel?

Reply #345843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep because Bevo from Perth was obviously struggled coming from juniors.

The problem is that Marty never did anything as a junior coach, never won shit.

Reply #345845 | Report this post

Ninja noob  
Years ago

Bevo makes the Marty argument but they are chalk and cheese in terms of record and ability.

Reply #345846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it took bevo a few seasons to be as sucessful as his is now
had a year or two with razorbacks, then sydney spirit then finally some sucess is perth. though atleast he was developing talent on the way

Reply #345852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is cotter a weak character?

Reply #345857 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think you need to look at people who meet the following critiria

Head coach at SEABL/ABA level
shows you can manage grown men/egos)
Stint as an NBL assistant or NBL head coach
(You understand the professional enviroment)

If you meet the above two key areas then get your short list and have a panel of 4 select the best candidate.

If Sydney are smart the panel would be:
1 - Business person
2 - Non club related ex coach or Bball person
3 - Ex-NBL level player
4 - Alternative Sports ex coach/player (NRL/AFL)

Hopefully each member can use thier strenghs to help ensure the right candidate is found

Reply #345861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL coaches usually go through a serious apprenticeship - study, assistant coach for a few years, etc. Watters, Neeld, Ross Lyon, Brenton Sanderson, etc.

Hird, Buckley and Voss are the exceptions.

The NBL attitude is you'll get a job if:

1) you know somebody.
2) you get the phone call - "hey mate, remember when we played together? Wasn't that fun! Do you want to coach? Even though you've been doing something completely unrelated for the last 10 years, I remember the good old days."
3) It's hardly about expertise.

The Junior coach to Senior coach thing is bullshit. Gordie? Bevo? Cotter won with men at SEABL before he was coaching the Junior National team.

If anyone at the Kings was sensible, Guy Molloy would get a call.

Reply #345863 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

Someone said mark dickel, he actually seems like he would be a good choice as an asisstant for a couple of years to see how he goes.
was a very good leader when he came to the kings in the second half of last season

Reply #345868 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dickel has had some experience at International level, knows the league and what is expected

Reply #345871 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It would take Dickel a year or 2 to get his head outta his ass!!

Reply #345872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rob rose or darnell mee

Reply #345875 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

think people misunderstood...

I'm just saying coaches who has only spent time coaching junior level kids need to serve time as assistant at NBL level or head at SEABL before considered.

dealing with grown men and boys are very different

Reply #345882 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce would have to be high on the hit list. If it wasnt for his blind faith in his son becomming the next big thing then he could have done good things with the Blaze.

As long as Daniel is taken out of the equation and there is a strong board that he is answerable too then I think he would be an excellent candidate.

Reply #345883 | Report this post

Yes, but people also forget or are ignorant to peoples past. EG - they see Cotter as a "junior coach" because they remember him from the U19 Aus team. But they ignore his SEABL championship with Knox. I'd say he's very experienced coaching both grown men & young adults.

Having said that, he wouldn't be my choice for Sydney head coach.

Reply #345884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MK thanks for clearing that up

I don't think any just junior coaches step into the nbl head coach role without any other experience.. marty clarke possibly the only exception to this rule.

Reply #345886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rgding watkins..
i think it is a bit harsh to say the failed attempt at west sydney.
1) he picked up a group that was on the decline after making gf appearences a few years before

2)the season he got sacked the team couldn't train due to a heat wave in NSW and their training venue bankstown basketball was too hot to train safely.

not many coaches will succeed in these situations i wouldnt think

he is a level 3 coach, with experience in coaching nbl as an assistant, coaching at the ais, coaching various junior state teams with a extrememly good record, coached aus junior teams also, as welll as coaching in seabl.

don't understand why you would right him off straight away???

Reply #345887 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I dont understand the Joyce recommendations? He coached forever already, only won one championship, got the wooden spoon and got in a number of fights with fans in wollongong over playing his son.
And everytime Mark Watkins gets mentioned an anonymous poster tells some story about the training venue being too hot to train last time he coached and thats why he got fired.
Never heard of Damian Cotter but I agree the Kings need an experienced coach.. Goorjian (already sent them broke, on heaps in China apparently), Westover (making a bit in Japan but back in a few months), Palmer (also in Japan, has done a bit of everything since last coaching), and Sydney's assistant last year. Can't think of his name?

Reply #345892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree about Westover. Look what he built around anstey I'd love to see what he could do with khazzou

Reply #345901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we simply ignore the issue that Johnson sent the Kings broke becasue he was a con merchant.
nothing to do with Goorjian what so ever.

Reply #345920 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

you are so right #920, although did Johnson move to the dragons next? woops... A coach that only knows how to spend other peoples money is not a good coach.

Reply #345927 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman (Breakers assistant) is an outstanding coach with great credentials.

Reply #346038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tab Baldwin is always keen to coach here.

Reply #346043 | Report this post

Eddie House  
Years ago

JACKIE MOON!

Reply #346058 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tab Baldwin is the man and would be worth every dollar.

Reply #346167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM. Know anything about why the Dragons folded?
Clearly like so many other that know little about the Kings folding know less about the Dragons folding.
The the owners of the Dragons at the time believed that the new NBL model that was about to be implemented was flawed and could not see themselves going forward in the same vein as they previously had. Also at that time the Tigers were considering leaving as well.
Goorjian had nothing to do with either of those decisions. Cowan in fact said "Having withdrawn from the league in 2009 as it was about to undergo significant off-court reform, Cowan is still not convinced the NBL model offers financial prosperity."
There is probably only one team in the whole NBL (crocs) that make a profit.
Has Goorjian got anything to do with any of them either?
No.

Reply #346185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read Botis article from yesterday to get some real insight into the Kings real reasons for their Firepower / Johnston failure.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/around-the-nbl-ex-king-mark-kos-past-owner/story-e6frect3-1226242388619

Reply #346187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy...... Only give him a call if you are serious about training, playing and being treated as a pro player. If you want a fancy pants, call someone else. If you want a passionate committed pro, drop him a line.

Reply #346332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754