Mick
Years ago

Best Coach in the League?

With all the fire Marty threads on here, thought I'd open up a discussion on who the best coaches out there are.

Apparently Paul Woolpert is nearly a lock for coach of the year, but how can you go past Aaron Fearne?

The results he is getting compared to the individual skills of his roster is just staggering to me. I saw this team in pre-season play and it was almost embarassing how terrible they were. Give it a couple of weeks and they're one of the top clubs in the league...

Obviously Beveridge is up there (if not all the way up there), although his teams have a tendency to fall apart when someone pushes back (which is rare).

Topic #27281 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Aarron Fearne for me. Got his team to the finals last year and fell short against a tough team with home advantage and then had players poached and has a decent shot at making the final again.

Reply #346013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think bevo & lemanis are great coaches with greatly skilled, but extremely well drilled players.

Fearne seems sound & has been consistent results wise, but I just think the 3rd option shuffle is outdated as an offensive set at the elite level.

Gleeson I feel is a good coach, but isn't doing anything special at this point in melb

Woolpert... Time will tell, seems to know enough, though I know there a dozen plus aussie coaches of the same level imo

Marty, knows things, but is struggling so far. (stop the get rid of marty threads pls)

Geordie... Great coach & leader. But struggling this season wirh a poor roster.

Moose by far the worst coach.

So I can't reeally say who I feel the best is, truth is,there are some great coaches but definately a pretender or 2!

Reply #346014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne COY for mine, Woolpert (considering the injuries) not far behind. Lemanis and Bevo obviously the cream of the crop. Robilliard is not only the worst coach right now, he's easily one of the worst coaches in the history of the league.

Reply #346015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bevo probably the best, but I'd like to see Fearne as COTY. Like Mick, I thought Cairns looked pretty average in the pre-season here in Adelaide. They were down Wilson and Loughton and I think Crosswhite played barely any minutes if at all, but then Adelaide were down an import and Ballinger from memory.

Reply #346017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fearne is doing the best job right now. Beveridge and McLeod have been the best coaches long term, while Lemanis now seems to have a better grip on the defensive end to go with his excellent offensive coaching.

Reply #346018 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Fearne lost 3 of his best players from last year (a team that also exceeded expectations) and is still looking good this season
Lemanis and Bevo have strong rosters that have required minimum changes year to year. Both their teams are expected to contend for a championship, how many people put Cairns in that argument at the beginning of the year (or even last year)?

Reply #346020 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Cairns and Townsville were picked by EVERYONE to finish last and second last.

The only difference in the odds from bookie-to-bookie was which team in was finishing which slot.

Reply #346023 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Both Cairns & TV could fall away yet - the business end starts now! I cant believe how bad joey wright is after doing such a great job in Brissy.

Fearne should be on b browns radar as a no nonsense defensive coach!!

Reply #346026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

orbit... joey had one of the best teams in the history of the nbl
any current nbl coach could have coached them to a championship
joey failed when he went overseas and has struggled in blaze town, dont know why he got a 3yr extension just the other day

Reply #346027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joey is a demanding coach
i.e. he yells, waves his arms around, calls out his players
but he lacks detail & technical aspects of the game to get the blaze organised enough to succeed

Reply #346028 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Joey's asterisk championship team could have been coached to victory by a chimpanzee.

Forever in the history books with a big * next to it.

Reply #346067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

?*

Reply #346070 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

*cough* salary cap *cough*

Reply #346074 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Beverdige- his team is great on both ends of the floor. Besides what the 36ers were doing, the season opener here was a joy to watch. They put on a clinic at both ends.

Reply #346095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember guys Fearne is working with a imposed 850000 salary cap not a million like the rest another 150000 buys a lot of talent . He may not be the best but he has to be up there .

Reply #346323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754