Pegs
Years ago

3 point and FT Percentages - ABL

I have just looked through the leader boards for each team in the statistics section and found that there is very few players that are hitting greater than 40% 3pt percentage or 80% FT percentage.

I thought that if you are playing at a high level, free throws could be done with your eyes closed and at least one player on each team could get a consistent three point percentage greater than 40%.

What is going on - are we the bad shooting state?

Topic #2729 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

It's interesting that we don't seem to shoot well in the ABL. I don't think we're a bad shooting state but I can't see a reason for the percentages either.

Reply #30776 | Report this post

jezzalenko  
Years ago

Pegs, there would not be too many people in the country shooting over 40%+ from the 3 pt line on a consistent basis at ABL/NBL level.

I agree with you on free throws though. 70 - 80 % should be around the minimum.

Reply #30791 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Guys,
have you checked the NBL stats from last year.
Only 5 NBL Players made 40% or better of their 3 pointers. Central ABL Has 4

It would also seem that only about 10 players made 80% of their FT's, as Rucker was 10th at 81%. There are 5 in Central ABL shooting at 80% or better.

Reply #30801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its still pretty early in the season yet. Im sure some guys will get in a rhythm soon enough and start knocking down their shots

Reply #30813 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I didn't check out the FT's, but its interesting to compare the 3pt percentages for SEABL and Big V to Central.

SEABL have about 8 guys in each conference shooting over 40% from downtown. I checked out the Big V stats and was pretty impressed with their stats stuff - you can actually sort their whole competition list by each stats category. They also have a bunch of guys better than 40%.

What I am wondering about is qualifications. Isaac, do you have to take a certain number of shots to qualify as a leader? Some of the guys in the top ten for SEABL who have played 9 games have only taken 12 or so three pointers.

Reply #30909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, yes, 2 attempts/game for 3P% and FT%, and 5 attempts/game for FG% (from memory).

I could easily do a sortable master list as you suggested. I have a few other things I want to do first, but I'll put it on the To Do list.

Reply #30917 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Pegs, i heard an interstate coach say we were the best shooting state in a tourney earlier this year. can't remember his name, and i don't have any stats to back that up. I don't know whether i agree, but i think we are not a bad shooting state.

looking forward to those numbers Isaac.

Reply #31061 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Follow up on this, after including last weeks stats.

We now have 6 men shooting over 80% from FT line & 7 shooting better than 40% on 3's.

That is better than the number in NBL in 2004/05

Reply #31837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754