Mystro
Years ago

Sixers Vs Breakers NSEC Fri 13th

Wonder which Sixers team will turn up tonight, the one that beat Sydney or the one that's dropped 10 games already this season.
Front Court match up will be interesting with Simpson and Johnson Vs Wilkinson and Vukona and then Chris Warren Vs Cedric Jackson in the back court.
Breakers will be tough at home and I'm hoping they'll start to build some momentum after their win over Melbourne last round.

Topic #27290 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am hoping that Friday the 13th will be bad for the Breakers. Instead of a black cat crossing their path, making it a puma.

I must admit I did like Helliwell's 2nd foul last game, which was a solid hip and shoulder, but the umpire knew it was a foul and Kerry Williams felt it the next day. I believe if you are going to foul, No soft fouls. My primary school footy coach was a Port Adelaide man and his philosophy was "a man on the ground is one less for them" Gee we were a rough bunch playing footy.

Would like to see Helliwell test the 3 second rule. Camp in the key, get fed, dunk. Never gets called and just try it, once..... What's the use of moving screens for the guards when you can dunk it over WIlkinson?

Wilkinson is the #1 menace as everyone knows. Abercrombie is the danger man for me. I think he is Mitch Creek in a Breakers uniform. As we all know, Creeky needs more minutes and Steven Weigh needs to donate some to him.

Reply #346181 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke : " They've been together for a long time and as the NZ National team and Andre's been there 8 or 9 years. Last time there , in the second half , we did play the best half of basketball for the season."

Reply #346183 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Creek Vs Abercrombie would be a better watch than Weigh Vs Abercrombie given Weighs current form.

Reply #346184 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

I think we can only play Wade when Pledger is on. Clarke neglected to mention they'd cleared their bench by the last quarter and we only made a comeback when the game was totally over.

Wilkinson is the key, hopefully we have worked out a game plan for him and can implement it quicker than the one we were working on against Khazzouh. That took 4 games to get right. All common sense indicates to this being a blowout. New Zealand beat us comfortably last time at home, we have lost Crosswell (although he had minimal impact last time, then blew out his achilles), they are bringing back CJ, it's at their homecourt and surely Abercrombie won't play that badly again.

I've written more on my blog

http://36reasons.blogspot.com/2012/01/preview-36ers-v-breakers.html

Don't see a win for us tonight unfortunately

Reply #346229 | Report this post

Eddie House  
Years ago

sixers to win by 4 points

you herd it hear furst brothers!

Im gonna be watching it on the tv yo

Reply #346239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found a live stream of this game go to firstrow sports then click on basketball and it has a list of all the basketball games streaming today. about 3quarters of the way down you will see an aussie flag and 17:00 breakers vrs 36ers. I dont know how to post a link but wanted to help anyone who wanted to watch the game

Reply #346246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers up by 10 end of the 1st.
Abercrombie 10 points and a block.
Wilkinson blocked DJ second play of the game.
Simpson and Warren playing well.

Reply #346266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Clark just gave the Sixers a serve, "they're treating you like little boys out there, you gotta play like men in this league"

Reply #346269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers lead 43-30 at halftime.

Reply #346271 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

38 - 19 boards at 3qtr time says it all really

Reply #346274 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie hit one on the run to finish the 3rd and had a nice block on Creek a couple of plays back.
Breakers up 65-46
Jackson getting to the rim at will, Wilkinson getting it done and CJ chiming in when needed. Sixers had their heads down for a while.

Reply #346275 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

6ers have been out rebounded at both ends of the court! Breakers 19 offensive to 6ers 17 defensive. What the heck is going on? That's just shocking.

Oh I hope this is NOT on 1HD tonight.

Reply #346276 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ok I know the game is gone but why has Clarke had DJ on the bench for the entire 4th period? Please don't tell me he's injured also....

Reply #346278 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big game from Abercrombie and Jackson to get the win. Now to watch the Hawks game.

Reply #346279 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Someone needs to gag Casey Frank. He is really challenging Steve Carfino and Shane Heal as the worst commentators ever. Can he just take a little "colour" out of his commentary!?!? He's turning me to think that black and white is more palatable.

Sixers have suffered being smashed on the boards, a lot of balls not going there way, out of finger tips. Missed some good open shots which NZ have consistently hit. Credit to some of their pressure to force turnovers and give themselves a go, but gotta finish around the hoop (Helliwell anyone!?!?) and make free throws. Didn't see much of DJ in the 2nd half?

Reply #346280 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I've actually come to enjoy the banter from Mulls and Frank

Reply #346283 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Why don't we just save some time and admit that we officially stink to high heaven!

Reply #346287 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Cavolo or someone else whop saw the game - the 6ers had a low shooting percentage. Were they taking a lot of shots under pressure or was it just poor shooting generally?

Reply #346289 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

mixture of poor shots and shots under pressure combined with missing sitters.

Reply #346291 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

thanks for the online link anonymous was great to watch are games usually on this website?

Reply #346292 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

lost the boards 24 to 50, how does that happen?
DJ with only 1..

Reply #346298 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Mystro - the banter between the two might become enjoyable over time, but it's Frank's description of events that is unbearable, almost like the Sixers shooting and rebounding!! ;P He just goes on and on about the same incident and tries to give it 4 different descriptions with little variation. My "favourite" was the "eye poke/gouge/ removal/surgery" example!! ;P

Good description of the missed shots - took the words right out of my mouth!

Maybe it's my biased Sixer fan eyes, but thought their defense was better overall, except Cedric could penetrate at will, however I think he does that against most defenses. NZ certainly hit the majority of their open shots, and always when Sixers were making a little run, and usually off a loose ball going there way. Great if you're a Breakers fan, very frustrating if you're a Sixers fan!!

Reply #346300 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, DJ played 4 minutes in the second half and Simpson played 8 minutes. Neither played in the last quarter. Clarke is what happened

Reply #346301 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Question for anyone who saw the game live or online or even on Sky...were NZ off in their O tonight or did the 36ers do a good job in keeping them to just 80 points (our average is 92 after all).

Sadly our O has gone missing since we beat Sydney but our D at least seems to be keeping teams to a reasonable score which our O would normally beat. Can't we just get them BOTH going at once and not just one or the other. Damn frustrating.

Reply #346304 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

They took 26 more shots than us! 26! Never gonna wina game when that happens.

Reply #346318 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

V8, it doesn't matter what the sixers kept NZ under, the sixers still lost by nearly 20. I watched the game online and I thought the sixers defense was simply a disgrace. 50 rebounds compared to the sixers 24 is beyond a joke, how can a 6'10 Daniel Johnson have 1 rebound in 25 mins?!! All you guys might rate him but the guys got a lot to learn.

Well what can I say about Clarke, forget about a 3 year plan, I think he needs a ten year plan, 5 years learn how to coach men, not little boys. And maybe 3 years on how not to sub the star players when games are still in the balance!

Clarke might be a nice guy and some players might love playing for him but let's be honest most of these players are in the same boat like Clarke, simply do not know how to win and what it takes to win.

Sorry if this is hard to read, few to many reds tonigh!

Reply #346320 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good crowd too for Auckland. Says something for the Friday night time slot rather than Thursday...

The NSEC's official website gives a 4,114 seated capacity yet tonight's game attracted 4,400.

Reply #346322 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers played good pressure D and forced a heap of turnovers from the Breakers but the Breakers also forced Adelaide into a heap of turnovers. Breakers boxed out and the Sixers didn't, Breakers crashed the offensive glass and the Sixers didn't, Breakers dove on every loose ball and the Sixers didn't.

Cedric Jackson pushing the ball up the court, spots Helliwell in the paint. Puts his head down and just goes straight at him and tried to dunk over him, front rimmed it and missed but damn if that had of gone down there would have been posters all over the NSEC lol.

Reply #346350 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers had 22 from Abercrombie (including 3/4 behind the arc, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks) and 17 from Wilkinson (with a steal and a decent block on DJ). CJ came off the bench for Corletto and had 10 points and another great all round game from Jackson who seemed to split the double team at will but went down with that ankle injury and was limping around for a bit but I think he was playing possum cos not long afterwards he started to blow past everyone for layups.
For the Sixer straight off the bat they put the ball in DJ's hands on the block but he traveled a couple of times and put up some tough shots that didn't drop and got blocked by Wilkinson and ended up 3/7 from the field with 1 rebound. Simpson got it done on D (drew a nice charge from Abercrombie and had 3 blocks) and played with great enthusiasm but was also limited to only 8 points on 3/7 shooting and had a team high 6 rebounds. Mitch Creek had 3 points shooting at 20% including 1/5 from the charity stripe. Chris Warren got it going early from behind the arc hitting the first points of the game but from there he went 25% from 3 and 4/11 from the field contributing 14 points. Bartlett played well, pushed the ball, hit some shots, didn't get trapped in the backcourt although he was close a couple of times and contributed 9 points with only one turnover (DJ had 4, Warren had 4 and Weigh had 3).

Breakers out hustled the Sixers.

Reply #346353 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks for the rundown Mystro. Sounds a lot like many of the 6ers' players have given up on the season. I expected better in the effort stats than last night's showing. Very disappointing and not much for a supporter to look forward to if that's what we're in for, for the rest of the season.

Might be an interesting crowd number for next week's home game. Especially as the previous Cairns game was slow tempo and pretty dull basketball but at least the 6ers put in a bigger effort than last night. If the 6ers are going to offer up another showing like last night, there may be a lot of empty seats.

Reply #346366 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

This one wasn't the coaches fault. Players dropped their heads as soon as things didn't go their way (except Simpson, guy is a beast with a great work ethic on the court) and basically just went through the motions. Sixers Imports were hustling but no one else had their backs. Breakers pretty much came out on top of every matchup.

Reply #346373 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

sunnycoast not sure how many games they play just found the website myself it's just a matter of going in and looking if they have the game you want to watch glad i could help

Reply #346386 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754