MW
Years ago

Showron Glover situation

with Glover hardly getting any minutes, what's the point of him on the roster as an import when barely get used? he's treated like a rookie...

wouldn't call him the worse import cos I've seen him play and really liked him, but think he's just lost the confidence? but this is truely an odd situation when you look at it...

Topic #27309 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Haven't got the money to replace him & seems Gordie isn't sure he can run the team.

Shame about Kevin Braswell! If he worked out, the Hawks could of had a few more wins

Reply #346325 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

kevin braswell? i missed this- what happened? Also, why the heck did BOTH imports start on the pine (i know glover would have but why catron as well?)?

Reply #346328 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think they'd replace him if they could but they're stuck with him so he is being played for the time he should.

In my opinion glover is an impact player. Bring him on to lift tempo, get steals and disrupt the opposition. But leave him on too long and it results in turnovers and amnoyed players as the offense breaks down. I don't think there is a lot between the ears in terms of running the team. Playing him more would be detrimental to the hawks.

Reply #346329 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

didn't they have a 2 weeks trial with him? then STUCK with him?

Reply #346331 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

Saw him play tonight against Cairns and half the time whenever the ball was in his hands it resulted in a turnover.

Reply #346335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 to's in what 6 mins court time tonight?

He's one of the worst imports I've seen in around 20 years following the NBL.

Reply #346337 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Cut the guy some slack, how can he 'get into' a game when he is having little or no time. Would be good to see Geordie grow a pair and let the kid start and give him a chance (I saw the cairns game, yes he was atrocious but only because he lacks confidence).

Reply #346342 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

he would straight dominate a midget league

Reply #346351 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

remember his first game when he had like 6 assist in 4 minutes or something crazy like that...that's when I was like man this kid can play but I really don't think him or Catron has been given the right opportunity to play well.

Reply #346356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tyrell, Nat was just saying that the Hawks could've gone with a proven guy like Braswell or Blalock. Hawks imports were very average last night, especially Showron unfortunately.

Reply #346357 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Yeah they tried him out for two weeks. He can play but like Anon said, he needs to be inserted into the game earlier and often to make an impact. I think Gordie has the right idea to a point. He could be a great energy guy off the bench. But he hardly uses him.

3 turnovers last night, stats kinda lied. I counted 4 just in the 3rd. Plus there was one when he first came in the game in the 1st.

They also tried out another guy for about two weeks, Horace Wormley. Not sure why he didn't work out, maybe he was too short. Believe it or not he was slightly shorter than Showron!

Hawks were interested in Kevin Braswell after they cut Monroe but I don't think they were willing to risk it as he was coming off an injury. But Kevin was very keen to play for Wollongong. Who knows, maybe next season..

Reply #346360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the imports next game. They have no idea what is happening on court. Out of their depth and continue to struggle to understand the basic principles of basketball and gordie mcleods structure.

They should count themselves lucky they still have a job. You could see last night they were there to play for themselves and no one else. Hawks fans deserve more from them, especially their attitudes.

I'm surprised the most knowledgeable of hawks fans have yet to get vocal about it. A lot of disgruntled old boys in the crowd. All towards the imports.

Perhaps next home game some hawks fans will start calling for the sacking of the imports and start wanting the running of the young Aussies for the rest of the season. Start focussing on the development of their Australian talent.

Should the hawks drop the dead weight of no-show & joevan?

Reply #346364 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Well, at least Glover will hold the following all time NBL record which I doubt will be beaten unless players start wearing hats and jewelry.

Showron Glover: Most accessories worn in an NBL game by a single player.

Congrats!!!!

Reply #346365 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

For the most part Wollongong fans aren't as cut throat as other fans. They are knowledgeable but know that they can't just be cutting players mid season, money wise.

Showron can play, i've seen it. So can Joevan. But I don't think Gordie has faith in either.

Reply #346367 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

It's just that every time he handles the ball it looks like its going to get picked off. I've never seen a pro hang the ball out there so much and make so many moves without going anywhere.

Reply #346384 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

I watched the Hawks vs Cairn game as well and at the end of the day.. The Hawks are TERRIBLE! The imports should been packing months ago and replaced by 2 quality imports that will get them 30+ points between them taking the pressure off Saville & Campbell. They have done the Hawks & the NBL a servicable job for many years and very respected around the NBL but they both would be more effective coming off the bench. The fact is Joevan & Glover was selected by Gordie and therefore he should take FULL responsiblity for their poor performance this season!

Unfortunately, its not going to get any better for the Hawks this season which as a fan is dissapointing.

The time is now for the Hawks management/Owners to start planning for next seasons Imports positions and a couple high profile australians as well as a Head Coach to bring some fresh new life back into the Wollongong Entertainment Centre!

True

Reply #346429 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You can't sack the imports if you have no money to pay for new ones. I have a feeling someone in the hawks owns the place that Glover is living in. They are paying him the minimum and no other player that Gordie has trialed would accept a basically no money offer.

He is better than other Australian talent out there, so its a win win deal for both. Glover gets to train and play and maybe this leads to other opportunities for him in the long run plus Gordie gets to highlight if there is no money for imports, you get a basic player.

The problem in the NBL is that all imports need to be on a sporting visa and therefore need to be paid. Gordie's best option if this wasn't the case would be something similar to what most of the minor leagues are doing in Australia and that is getting a player on a working holiday visa, give them free accommodation and find them a casual job to give them some money to play with.

Reply #346444 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

if they're this cheap, do they even need to plan for a season next year? are they going to be around still?

Reply #346447 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's terrible. Problem with the hawks is that they stubbornly insist and running the team thru Campbell and saville when both are clearly past it...

Reply #346451 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Watched a few Hawks games on TV now. Catron is ok but not being played enough. Glover defiinatly is not good enough! Campbell has gone 2 years too long and should retire at 36 and Saville 36yo should or maybe also retire. Hawks should not have them on the bench its time to go with some younger players and build a team as they cant buy one like some other clubs They have done well for the Hawks but you got to know when its time. Martin did ok the other night but has been a huge disappointment with the opportunty that he has been given and plays ok every 4th game or so. They need to make about 4 to 6 changes and build a team like they did by giving young kids a go like they did with Saville and Campbell years ago.
Peter

Reply #346461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glover thinks he can make NBA next year. Can't see either import playing in the NBL after this season.

FM, the NBL has a minimum salary.

I think the vets will have to play another year. The Hawks just can't compete against other teams with the cheque book so they have to be realistic. If another team comes in immediately, that's another challenge. Take two vets out and what are you going to replace them with? Sav was still chasing down breaks like he was Abercrombie. He's never been a huge scorer and can be the glue guy.

Last game, they were easily in that until Forman was taken out after his third foul. Up 13, then were down five by the end of that quarter. The bench struggled.

Even with the vets being a year older and average years from Forman and Davidson, and the Gruber injury, they'd be a lot better with a Blalock or Braswell in for Showron.

Reply #346466 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If the team, as it stands replaced Glover for Blalock (who is actually on less money in the Canada NBL) I think the team could push 4/5th, baring injury.

Saville doesn't need to retire. He's no longer the #1 option.. 2nd or even 3rd. But he can be the x-factor in W's.

Reply #346519 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sav can still be the glue guy but running everything through him and Campbell is not the ticket.

They need to take a dive and a gamble on young Aussie talent.

Reply #346520 | Report this post

bootleg87  
Years ago

i believe showron is probably not up to the nbl level, but having said that i also think that right now he is a guy thats not playing with a lot of confidence, which could be because the coach has no faith in him and he has a short leash. i was at the game on friday and thats what it seemed like from the side lines.

Reply #346713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754