celtic green
Years ago

Should the Celtics bomb this season

The celtics look very very ordinary this year. 25th in points for, second last in rebounding. Garnett looks ancient. Should Danny Ainge trade Garnett and Ray, try to get some draft picks (supposedly the deepest draft in years next year)and just suck it up for this season?
I know they are hoping for Dwight Howard, but I don't see it happening, and I don't want to do another 15 years between being relevant again.

Topic #27317 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

trade pierce and garnett and o neal! They are all way to slow to guard anyone and are getting dominated!

Pierce couldnt guard brad hill pre season exhibition game and has been carrying that form into nba season all be it because of an injury, but he is getting dominated by anyone he guards! Deng, granger etc.
Jermaine is just terrible enough said!

Reply #346486 | Report this post

Steamer  
Years ago

Buy some players from Asia ....get more spoiled rich fans, sell more merch, buy some gold rice

Reply #346499 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Not sure how much the Celtics would get in return for Garnett and Pierce?? I think they will both retire in a few years as a Celtic. They got their ring.

Reply #346502 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

They aren't looking too good right now, but I do have my fingers crossed that they are playing dead like they did in the 2009 season, before switching on for the playoffs. Probably not though!

As far as tanking the season, I can't really see them doing that - there is too much pride in the big three. The only way to do it really is to trade one or more of them. I guess if any GM has the ruthlessness to do that it is Ainge, but I don't think he will, because he doesn't HAVE to. Its not like KG, Ray and Jermaine are on long term contracts and the Celtics are going to be in cap hell for a few years.

Let this season play out and then there will be a lot of cap space to work with (about $24 mill, $28 mill if Bass declines his option). They can then have a crack at Howard or any other franchise level player that's out there. However unlikely it is worth having a go.

Worst case scenario is that Ainge doesn't win the sweepstakes. If that happens, he can just go into next season with a roster of cheap journeymen to support Pierce and Rondo and take a nice high draft pick the following year. If Pierce doesn't want to stick around for the rebuild and wants to be traded to a contender, Ainge could oblige him and hopefully pick up a younger player and a draft pick.

To sum up: let the big three have one last crack this season, throw everything at Howard or similar next off-season and go into rebuilding mode if it doesn't come off.

Reply #346503 | Report this post

Da_Lebron  
Years ago

Celtics was last yesterday's story. Wake up and read the paper rather than sleeping on it. HEAT HEAT HEAT.

Reply #346548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what? The C's aren't tanking now????

Reply #346678 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I understand where your head is at Beantown, but honestly I don't see us winning squat without a centre. I think if we are lucky maybe we make the second round, and then get dusted by Miami or Chicago. Couldn't we tank now (trade Garnett for draft picks?) try and get a few pieces in the draft and also get some free agents?

Reply #346709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754