Vart
Years ago

Kyrie still hasn't decided about Boomers/Olympics

Hurry up mate!

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20120115kyrie_irvings_olympic_decision_will_affect_future_choices/srvc=home&position=recent

Topic #27325 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

That link didn't post very well, so full article below.

------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES - In the coming weeks, Cleveland Cavaliers rookie Kyrie Irving will have a big decision to make. The repercussions from it could follow him the rest of his career.

Irving was born in Australia while his father, Drederick, played professional basketball there, and as a result has dual citizenship. He has publicly flirted with the idea of playing for Australia in the 2012 London Olympics and reiterated Friday he hasn't made up his mind.

"Still haven’t decided," Irving said. "Really it will come down to whether or not I want to give up my whole summer."

It also comes down to his future intentions with Team USA, which just so happens to be led by his old college coach, Mike Krzyzewski. If Irving plays with Australia this summer, he would likely be ineligible to ever play with the Americans.

As it stands, Irving still has to be cleared by FIBA before he could play with Australia since he was part of the United States’ U-18 team last year. Irving said Friday he thought it was only a matter of paperwork, and if he chose to play with Australia, it wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Cavaliers coach Byron Scott was surprised to hear of Irving’s dual citizenship and opportunity to play with Australia, but said this isn’t the type of decision to make quickly or flippantly. While Irving isn’t under consideration for Team USA this summer, if he continues to progress as expected, he would likely be a strong candidate to play for the United States in 2016.

Scott said he would counsel Irving not to rush into a decision he might later regret.

"For a 19-year-old, that’s a big decision," Scott said. "He obviously needs to get as much advice as he can from a lot of people that he trusts and believes in. I know he talks to Chris Paul and Grant Hill and guys like that (former Olympians). I would seek their advice. Talk to his dad. I don’t think it’s something he’s going to take lightly and it’s something he should make sure he takes his sweet time on."

Australia earned an automatic qualification for Olympic basketball by winning FIBA’s Oceania Championship in September. Olympic basketball begins July 28 and continues until Aug. 12 this summer.

Reply #346666 | Report this post

boom baby  
Years ago

Cant really see him playing for the boomers, im sure he would rather wait 4 years and actually win a gold medal, but would be sick if he did play OZ though

Reply #346674 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

The whole thing seems like a massive tease to me. Can't see Irving playing for Australia. I mean the guy is American. I don't think you would give up a chance to play for the Dream Team which he could feasibly do one day.

Reply #346676 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If he played for Australia how would that stop him being a Team USA player in the future. As long as he gets cleared back to USA from fiba/Australia wouldn't it be all good? Surely USA would want him to compete for Australia rather than sitting around instead. Would only help his game, and give the Americans an insight to how he performs on the world stage, not to mention he could bring some insight to how the Aussies and Europeans train and what not if he went back to team usa. Would be interesting to see how he would fit in with boomers though, being American really and not knowing the players much if at all

Reply #346679 | Report this post

aiden  
Years ago

yeh agreed. Though the idea of leading a team at the age of 19 in the olympics, and having a whole country behind you would be enough to consider the decision.

Reply #346680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant be cleared back to the USA if he plays for Australia, and is very unlikely to be cleared to Australia before London if at all.

Reply #346683 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm still hoping he chooses to play for the Boomers, but from what I've seen of him so far this season, he looks well and truly good enough to one day represent the US and if that's the case I can't see him choosing us. Its a shame because with him and Bogut anchoring the two most important positions on the court, we could really compete with the top tier for the next 2 Olympics.

Reply #346686 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The fact that he is using Australia as a second option annoys me.

Reply #346689 | Report this post

Stuey  
Years ago

Agree with Natwhereyouat, give me a guy that actually lives and breathes green and gold anyday. If he were a true aussie it wouldn't be a decision it would be fulfilling a dream.

Reply #346694 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

'give up my summer' - arrogant shit, stay in the USA!!

Reply #346699 | Report this post

aiden  
Years ago

I dunno about that ... If the hypothetical option were to have kyrie and get a bronze medal, or have a true aussie and come 4th, I'd take Kyrie and the bronze every day.

Reply #346700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would it work that way though? international basketball is tough and if youre hearts not in it you wont perform well enough to win knockout games.

Reply #346703 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd like to see him in a Boomers uniform, but I just don't think it will materialise unless Bogut, Coach Brown, his family and agent can convince him otherwise.

Reply #346712 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

The kid promised his dad that he would complete his degree at Duke within 5 years during the summer if he declared for the draft after last season's NCAA season. Which Id assume is one of the reasons he's heistant about giving up his summer.

Fact of the matter is I don't see him being in the USA team in 2016 if he did decide to pass on the Australian opportunity.. he's not going to get in ahead of Rose, CP3 etc

And anyone who think's having Irving in the Boomers squad is a bad idea needs more brain cells.. with him the Boomers are a good chance for a medal.

Reply #346748 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I have no issues with Kyrie wanting to play for Australia. Anyone who thinks its a bad idea need to get their heads read. If he was in green and gold, he's immediately our second best (or maybe best) player, significantly improving our chances to win Olympic or World Championship medals in the future.

When compared to the rest of the world, we have such a small pool of basketball players to choose from, if a guy who has enough talent to be a number 1 NBA draft pick wants to play for you, you don't say no.

And please people, for the love of god, stop refering to the USA as the 'Dream Team' - that was an one time only deal, and the constant use of that term undermines how great the 1992 squad were.

Reply #346754 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

yeah the fact he says "Really it will come down to whether or not I want to give up my whole summer." smells to me... he hasn't even completed a full month of NBA and he's already wondering if he wants time off?

What's he gonna be like after 5 years in the NBA? Can't have BA depending on him to show for each major tournament and he maintains an attitude like that.

Things might be different if we didn't have Bogut to base things around and also to provide leadership especially in games against national teams with NBA talent but we do so this could become more trouble than it's worth.

He might be enjoying the attitude that comes from this too.

Happy to be proven wrong and once he commits it's a full commitment.

If he's speaking with Grant Hill etc. then I hope we have guys like Andrew Gaze having a yarn too. I believe Gaze, up til a few months back hadn't spoke with him directly but had had words "to his camp" about the prospect of playing for the Boomers.

Reply #346759 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

On another note, Drederick Irving is a sweet name.

Reply #346793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA wont release him.

Reply #346798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says who?

Reply #346868 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

To me nearly every time the US play in the Olympics it's a dream team

Reply #346903 | Report this post

Mystic66  
Years ago

So he hasn't played in Oz so we don't want him???? So how many NBL games has Bogut played so far ? And how many of the Oz squad are currently playing in Australia? A lot of them only know the other squad players because they have seen photographs....

Don't fret about a nineteen year old having a few verbal gaffes. They all do that.

The actual chance of Kyrie getting a usa olympic gig are miniscule given the known opposition, and there will be gun young guards coming out of the draft in the next three years too, and he also has to beat them out.. difficult.

IMHO he should make up his own mind, and then we will see if he is good enough to make the squad, as we do with all our overseas players. A great proportion of all our olympians live and train overseas.. in all the sports.

Reply #347198 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754