Vart
Years ago

Dellavedova Earns WCC Player of the Week Honors

SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- After leading his team to a perfect 3-0 record in league play last week, Saint Mary's junior guard Matthew Dellavedova was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Week.

With his family visiting from his native Australia, Dellavedova averaged 20.7 points and 6.3 assists per game and shot 55% from the field and 50% (13-of-26) from beyond the three-point arc.

He also registered 19 assists while committing just five turnovers - an assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.8. Dellavedova scored a career high 27 points in a victory over San Francisco, adding 26 more in a 21-point win over then 21st-ranked Gonzaga.

Dellavedova is the team's scoring leader, averaging 15.4 points per game. He is the WCC's assist leader and ranks among the top players nationally in assists with 6.6 per game.

One of the top players in school history after just two-and-a-half seasons, Dellavedova is among the career leaders in scoring, assists, three-point shooting and games started

Topic #27330 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too slow for the NBA unfortunately.

Reply #346764 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Was a certainty for this award this week. Great effort by a very promising talent.

Reply #346778 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Too slow for the NBA, that's what people said about Steve Nash. He turned out ok.

Reply #346779 | Report this post

Dr Know  
Years ago

If he's too slow surely that would be evident on defence? How does he go defending the lighting quick guards he would come up against in college play?

Raw speed definitely helps on offence but for a guy who can shoot the ball, pass the ball and seems like he has strong ball smarts defenders can't 'cheat' with him, he'll find a way to score.

Apparently apart from speed what other key elements of his game is his missing?

Reply #346784 | Report this post

Dr Know  
Years ago

6-4, 190lbs - big enough for NBA?

would you call him a combo guard or a shooting guard who racks up a stack of assists?

Reply #346788 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He's certainly not NBA material, but he's doing extremely well for St Mary's and i love how ESPN broadcasts as many of the Gaels games as they can for us, it really is awesome watching the Gaels at home!

Reply #346789 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

A more important issue at this stage is will he be selected for the Boomers in London. Don't forget he is 6'4", strong, has great skills, the ability to score from NBA range, incredible court awareness and the ability to get the ball to players inside. Plays good defence and draws a lot of charging fouls from the opposition. IMO he should be a certainty.

Reply #346790 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

ANON12 - Given his performances in the Olympic qualifiers, plus the clear improvement he's shown this season, I would suggest he's a lock for London.

Dr Know - I would suggest he's a combo guard, able to play both positions equally well. He was probably recruited more as a point guard initially, given this is the position he played most for the Australian junior national teams, but given St Mary's current roster, they start three guards and really share the playmaking/scoring between them depending on who has the hot hand in any given game.

Reply #346797 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Vart, good description, although I would suggest he has aklways been a combo guard. But he has clearly shown he does what the team needs. He can fill it up if required, or play the play maker role and rack up the dimes, whilst beiong able to play the defensive stopper role as he did so well against NZ in the qualifiers...

He is definitely in contention for a Boomers guernsey, but I don't yet consider him a lock. He'll have to earn his spot...

Reply #346805 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

He will have to earn his spot, you're quite right LC. But I dont see anyone knocking him out of being the back-up point guard to Patty. He was third in line for the spot before the 2010 Worlds, with Steve Markovic eventually being given the nod, but Steve seems to have fallen off the radar after not being available (or selected, I'm still not sure) for the Olympic qualifiers last year. I do remember Brett Brown saying prior to the NZ series that we had a full roster to select from aside from our bigs, so perhaps thats a clue?

Reply #346806 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Given Markvoic's stellar form so far in the Adriatic League, I would not count him out...

Reply #346821 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Markovic has definitely been in good form, and in all honestly is probably our best pure playmaker. But his defence is a liability (as evidenced by his fouling out in 24 minutes his last game - not that I saw it, but I'm sure there was a lot of reaching in going on) and that doesn't cut it with Brett Brown.

Reply #346827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cant ignore Gibson's form, it has been every bit as good as Markovic's. Martin is the best of them all if fit and the boomers need him because they have been woeful at defending guards under Brown.

Three of gibbo, marto, delly, marko and pc will go to london.

Reply #346832 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Brett Brown has clearly shown over the past two years that he likes to play Gibson as a shooting guard. Interestingly enough since Deleon's arrival on the GC Gibson has for the first time been playing this position in the NBL, and actually doing a pretty decent job. I'm still not convinced that he'll be able to be a dominant scorer at international level though.

I agree with Anon above that three of 'gibbo, marto, delly, marko and pc' will go to London. I wouldn't be surprised if all four went to be honest.

Reply #346839 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I should've said I wouldn't be surprised if four out of those five went - sorry!

Reply #346840 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Wonder if Delly will get the same opportunity Mills got during last Olympics.

Reply #346864 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Are people forgetting about Damian Martin?

I would take him over Dellavedova.

Furthermore, if Lisch is available I would take him over Delly.

London could be:

PG: Mills, Martin, Lisch
SG: Newley, Crawford
SF: Ingles, Barlow
PF: Nielsen, Worthington
C: Bogut, Baynes (he is in such good form), Maric

If Lisch isn't available, then I reckon Delly would make it.

BUT, as mentioned above there is no way that Dellavedova is a lock..

Crawford needs to be there. I would be extremely angry if he wasn't included, and im not even Australian.

Reply #346882 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Delly may not be a lock, but Andersen is. Many people saying he's shit, never done anything in a Boomers jersey etc. but the only way that Andersen misses London is if he is injured.

Reply #346891 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Oh yeah forgot about him.

I agree. His game really suits the international style of ball, especially because of his ability in the screen and pop situations.

Reply #346896 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Without hijacking this thread away from the original topic too much further, a Boomers team with Bogut, Baynes and Maric covering the pivot is too one dimensionsal as they are all very similar, back to the basket, style big body centres...

Plus as I mentioned in another thread, I am loving the prospect of Andersen playing alongside Bogut. Their games complement each other so much, allowing Andersen to keep defences honest through teams doubling Bogut at their own peril.

Reply #346911 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

No one is forgetting about Damian Martin MACDUB, I for one believe he is a more important piece for the Boomers than Brett Brown seems to believe. It would appear though following the NZ series that Brown prefers Delly over Martin, as Delly played significant minutes as the back up point guard, while Martin was glued to the bench as 12th man, barely playing a total of 10 minutes over the 3 games.

Reply #346913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin was injured last international season. I wouldnt read too much into it. Fair to say though there will be a lot riding on training camp for those four or five guards playing for spots. Good news is all of them are getting plenty of minutes and playing well at the moment.

Congrats to Delly on his award, good to see him hitting his perimeter shot too because that really desserted him last international season.

Reply #346922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:42 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754