clarky
Years ago

Jacob Holmes signs with Crocs

This was just posted on the Townsville Crocs Facebook page.

It's OFFICIAL - Jacob Holmes is a Croc for the next 2 years!!!

Article from NBL.com.au HERE

Topic #27340 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That is great for the Crocs, but bad news for the Sixers fan who wanted him back or to stay.

With Luke, Jake and Liam with the Crocs, they are now the official "other" team I barrack for.

Reply #346936 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Bad new for Hinder

Reply #346938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Congrats Jacob, well earned.

Reply #346940 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

actually, bad news for Ben Allen

Reply #346945 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bad news for the 6ers because they will be so dumb and most probably offer Allen a contract and call it a massive upgrade on Helliwell! Bad is bad...

Congrats to Jacob though, change of scenary can make all the difference. I hated him as a 36er, just loathed him to be honest, but at same time good to see a SA boy succeed in this league.

Reply #346950 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well done jacob this will now shut all the BAGGERS up . hope you keep puttin g up great numbers

Reply #346971 | Report this post

Routy  
Years ago

Yep great news for Crocs fans, Ben Allen would definately make way next year for hinder to come back and play as Schenshers back up. If Mims and Schensh resign that is a pretty strong and versatile four bigs.

Reply #346972 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon he has finally shut the baggers up by producing! The guy came into the league with this prodigy aura about him but consistancy and constantly deciding what type of player he wanted to be hurt his rep in Adelaide circles.

Reply #346975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great news for the Crocs. next season, with Hinder hopefully back, will be a real championship threat... imagine a starting line:

Starters:

Gill
Crawford
Mims
Holmes
Schensher

Bench:

Back-up
Michael Cedar
Chris Cedar
Hinder
Allen

Reply #346977 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Kobe as I disliked him in Adelaide but am happy to see him doing well for the Crocs.

Also the reason why he is doing so well there is nothing to do with the Sixers but rather due to a few factors including his desperation. In Adelaide he was too complacent, every week he would start and get good minutes regardless of how he played. Crocs made him earn his position and he is playing with confidence and isn't scared of shooting or forcing up shots like he did in Adelaide.

I still think his stats will go down once Schenscher settles into the team more. However, at least he is now worthy of actually starting and getting decent minutes.

Reply #346978 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

To play here is to drift ... to play there is to steer...

Reply #346989 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

no Kobe its the differance between getting minutes and being sat on your bum by the coach.fact he has always been a great rebounder but never got a chance

Reply #346991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Norton in that list

Reply #346993 | Report this post

bearcat  
Years ago

guys sturt can start looking for a replacement, surely he wont suit for them now.

Reply #347002 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

WD to Jacob holmes. Left without a team after being cut by the 36ers and only picked up by the Crocs to cover Hinder's injury and he's now got himself a bonafide 2 year contract.

Regardless that Adelaide fans now have next to no chance of seeing him in a 36ers uniform again during his playing career its great to see him rewarded for his efforts.

On Ben Allen...would he be an upgrade in Helliwell? If he was really any more than a fill in at the Crocs then it would have been him and not Holmes who filled in at centre during the OT periods on Saturday night when Big Red fouled out. Allen played 9:45 of a 50 minute game and didn't see any court time after only 2:28 of the 4th with only 3 fouls to his name, 0 points and 1 rebound...what does that tell you?

Reply #347005 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon, he had plentyyyyyyy of minutes in Adelaide. Too many in some games even!

Reply #347011 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I also didn't rate him at all when he was a Sixer apart from rebounding and who needs a one trick pony when you aren't making the playoffs.
I agree with other posters that the change of scenery has done him the world of good and he is playing great, that 3 he hit to send it to overtime was huge.

Reply #347014 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Just another stat that shows Clark clearly cant coach. Well done to him, big loss to us!

Reply #347029 | Report this post

Crocs City  
Years ago

It's funny how you guys from 36'ers write so much crap on this wall,but u don't support your real team,thats why noone like Newley and BigRed and Holmes wants to stay there,also if u payed attention to our team,you would see next yr Blanchfeild is in the crocs team and Norton,who u named so only swap would be Rusty staying with team and by to Allen.

Reply #347039 | Report this post

Routy  
Years ago

Would be great if crocs keep majority/all of this years roster for next year, it certainly works for nz and perth.

Starters:

Schensh (gun need to resign)
Holmes (gun signed)
Mims (good glue guy, athletic and versatile)
PC (gun best form of his career, young 32)
Gill (gun at times hot and cold, needs to drive more and give up the pressure 3)

Bench:

Hinder (If fit, great leader, versatile, good back up)
Blanchfield (future star, crocs need to lock up long term, will challege pc's spot as starter in future)
M Cedar (rightful spot as impact off bench)
Mitch Norton (healthy and full off season will help, huge potential)
Chris Cedar (gaining confidence, keeps improving)

That Team looks pretty good for the next couple of years. Good mix of experience and youth.

Reply #347040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"People could look at it and (say) 'you could have got more money playing like this and gone somewhere else', but I wouldn't have got this opportunity without Townsville to play like I am," he said.
"I think there's an onus on me to respect that and show some faith in the club for showing faith in me, and also (coach) Paul (Woolpert) for letting me play my game.
"I think that's just part of basketball - showing the loyalty to the club that gave me an opportunity."

A real slap in the face for Clarke.

Reply #347064 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I agree with Kobe24 and KingJames.

I am annoyed that he has found his shooting touch, just wish he could have done it here.

Reply #347092 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #346991
Holmes was getting 30-40 minutes per game from 2004-2006, before moving to the Dragons. His shooting never warranted it (it was cringeworthy) but the role he seemed to play was defence and rebounding and he did okay at them.

He got 31 minutes per game in 2009, when he returned and 22 minutes per game in 2010 (games reduced to 40 minutes). I couldn't find the 2011 stats but suspect they would be similar to 2011.

He has never suffered from lack of minutes at the 36ers. As someone posted above, it's been more about him not establishing a consistent role in the team and producing consistently. At Townsville, he's shooting at 46% against his historical average of 39%. 3 point shooting is over 47% against his historical average of 35%. If he'd shown that sort of shooting historically, he'd still be at the 36ers.

As with others here, all the best to him. He's made the effort and established himself. He now gets a chance to keep doing this for at least 2 more seasons at Townsville.

Reply #347125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely got his share of minutes with Adelaide. Probably fair to say he has historically done better than "okay" when it comes to rebounding though!

As I've said before, he played a role alongside Ballinger in Adelaide. Ballinger was a higher percentage shooter, more capable and warranted that deference. Every 36ers fan would've happily supported that, remembering their concern any time Jake took a long two (despite having a decent 3P% at least one season and even being known for his outside shot from his AIS days).

Given that we ended up with Simpson, Ballinger was still contracted and half the town sulks about Balls being played out of position, where would Holmes have fitted in? Of course, with Balls out and the benefit of hindsight it's a different situation.

This year in Townsville, it's completely different - their starting bigs were out, Schenscher has come back slowly, Vanderjagt didn't do much, Allen has slumped to be a punchline, etc. Confident, bigger role within the team, better shooting year, less competition in the frontcourt - that all adds up to a good season and a contract extension.

Further, he's got four years on Hinder and doesn't play a dissimilar role, so could prove a logical replacement down the track. Both can shoot the three, play D, can lead, pass as big man, etc.

Reply #347159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754