Anonymous
Years ago

One's pre game intro keeps getting worse

The Gaze/Carfino pre game "skit" has got to go!! They are getting worse every week. I found myself shouting at the TV to just get on with the game. 10:30 starts are bad enough but to have to sit through 2 minutes of an awful attempt at comedy each week is unbearable!

It's even worse when the skits have absolutely nothing to do with the game.

And enough of the crossing to the cheerleaders! A few times a game is fine, not every 2nd time the home team scores please - there's more to the game than the cheerleaders. Maybe show some of the crowd instead??

Topic #27357 | Report this topic

and1  
Years ago

couldnt agree more

Reply #347346 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I am unsure if the commentators know it's not about them anymore.

Give the lead role to Bear who dose a great job in WA. Then use Maher and I hate to say it, Heal. Considering the way Heal use to carry on as a player he is great as a commentator.

Reply #347349 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

JVG is great on the Gold Coast too. Carfino's disdain for today's NBL is just too obvious, he simply cant do the job to the level it needs to be done.

Reply #347351 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Record and watch the game later, get to skip thru all the garbage

Reply #347355 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Reply #347356 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Reply #347357 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Totalllllly agreeee! Arrggghhh cringe

Reply #347358 | Report this post

Alexkrad  
Years ago

Triple post for extra effect.....

Reply #347359 | Report this post

hendo8888  
Years ago

What do you do Alex? Something about recording garbage?

Reply #347363 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Carfino is not great for the sport.

He wont accept the TV play by play background role,
he always has to be the up front in your face "colour" guy, but he does not have the appeal, knowledge or communication skills to do that.

Sports broadcasting only works when you have a knowledgable background play by play guy, Bruce Mac is the perfect example.
He was very good hosting a weekly basketball talk show, but he cannot do basketball match broadcasts, because with him its all about him.

Reply #347366 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

What about the guy who did the sideline interviews in last night's game. Everytime he is on, he impresses me. Sounds like he does a fair bit of homework on teams playing.

Maybe a future play by play man?

Reply #347367 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

I actually enjoy their commentory lol.

Reply #347368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it's not the NBL's fault as they are at the mercy of how One wants to produce the coverage, but it annoys me that the league fought so hard over the years to get decent TV coverage, whether it's on Fox or One, and now they have a deal in place for 5 years (with major loopholes to suit channel 10 it seems), they seem to have no say in how the coverage is run.

I would doubt the NBL is too happy with how One have turned the coverage into a joke, insisting that excessive cheerleader coverage and a half assed attempt at comedy during pre game is all that's needed to show a sport which needs a credibility boost.

And Carfino has got to go. Why is he considered the best that's available? He may a have been a star player in the eighties, and done well with commentary in the past, but there are many better and relevant sports people and presenters that could do his job today.

Reply #347370 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

agree with the cheerleader...as much as I love looking at them. NBL coverage has almost turned into cheerleading performance than a pure basketball game

Reply #347373 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Commentators I have liked so far

Bear in WA
Maher in SA
Derek Rucker in QLD
Gaze in Vic
Heal in NSW

Get rid of carfino and I have no issues with the commentating. When Hinder retires add him to the Nth Qld games

Reply #347377 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Gaze and Heal are decent, but do some homework on the game for God sake. Gaze constantly mis pronounces names and Shane Heal, who once played in the NBA, didn't know who Harvey Grant was....WTF?

All in all I Can't stand players names being mispronounced, it just shows that no homework is done what so ever....

Reply #347392 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

I'm so glad you guys mention the Pre game Skits because I totally agree that the Skits are HORRIBLE! Its makes the NBL looks 2nd rate in the worst timeslot for sports which unfortunately is a reflection of what Packer & Murdoch thinks of the NBL!

True

Reply #347395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heal is pretty decent. Maher always surprises me - never thought he would be as natural a commentator as he has been.

Reply #347400 | Report this post

Mystic  
Years ago

The dvd is my friend. Timeslot is ridiculous and designed to make sure that BBall never gets ratings.. then they will put it on even later because of the 'engineered' low ratings...

Pet peeve is the commentators making a call, then when the slo-mo shows them to be totally wrong, keep insisting they are right (that's what we have the refs for...)

Reply #347401 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I just laughed . I got the impression of One evidently reading this and giving it back to you , pregame intro tonite.

Reply #347408 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While number 45 , just off the plane today , started pretty good and helped number 7 a lot , as I watch this 'live' .

Reply #347409 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

if One reads this, please give back to us live games

Reply #347423 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

To those who wanted NBL on free to air thanks?
What few games get all done late at night well after game .
Record it or watch it live . I wonder what I would prefer.
Please please give it back to Fox as used to watch at least 2 games live each week.

Reply #347432 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do some maths on this. The average NBL game on ONE is watched by well over 30K. In the last year on Fox it was apparently less than 10K.

In Fox's last year they showed 42 games plus playoffs. ONE are showing 71 games plus playoffs. So that's nearly twice as many games being watched by 3-4 times as many people.

If the NBL was still on Fox do you think iiNet would have pumped in their hard earned money to reach that few people? And if the NBL didnt have the iiNet sponsorship what sort of shape do you think the league would be in?

Reply #347435 | Report this post

jase  
Years ago

the skits are funny

Reply #347458 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

It's all about entertainment these days - stuff the genuine fans! Hey, if you want to experience BAD, go to a Tigers home game. It's real small-town America family day stuff.

Reply #347574 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Paul you are on the money.
At least it is on air and I find myself now watching more teams and more games than ever.
Skits can be a bit of a cringe but do give the occasional laugh.
Carfino does not seem to have his heart in it any more while Gaze, Heal, Maher etc still sound enthusiastic.

Reply #347581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754